Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another Possible Smaller Battery Option - ??? (Read 152 times)
DustyCrusty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Another Possible Smaller Battery Option - ???
02/08/21 at 15:40:43

Hi all.
I've been working on a bobber conversion this winter. Thank god for this project since I can't travel at least I have a project to fill my time.
I've done a bunch of reading on this forum about the smaller battery options. For various reasons which I am sure are debatable I want to stick with an AGM battery.

I thought the ideas about the YTZ7S battery are brilliant but I would like more than the 6 AH capacity that it has.
So after reviewing different battery sizes, I thought that a YT9B-BS battery may fit. It claims 8 AH which is a 33% increase over the much talked about YTZ7S however the CCA is slightly less. The YTZ7S claims 130 CCA while the YT9B claims 120 CCA. I think it should be sufficient ??? The Yt9B is the same height and width as the YTZ7S but it is 1 1/2 inches longer and would extend under the swing arm cross member.

I made a wood mockup of the battery to be sure that it will fit. I have 1/4" clearance under the swing arm cross member. I had to remove the exhaust and the front belt sprocket cover. Then by loosening the bolts of the exhaust hanger bracket, I can pivot the bracket and slip the battery in. A bit of work but if I only have to do it every 2 to 3 years I don't mind.
Not sure yet whether to go with a Yuasa brand or generic. The Yuasa is twice the price but I am pretty confident it will out last a generic.

This is a bobber and I am changing the rear fender. This battery install will not work if keeping the oem fender.

Before I proceed with this, I would appreciate any thoughts from the forum family.

Here are a few pics.
[/img]

3_Pics.JPG
  IP Logged
Slowlane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Another Possible Smaller Battery Option - ???
Reply #1 - 02/09/21 at 17:03:55

I'm not getting much out of your photos but I know its hard to photorelate some things.  I am going thru a battery change right now and I want to keep the bike stock as much as possible.  I want a smaller battery because the OEM and the OEM box takes up all the room to do anything on the bike and it's a mother to get out.  Right now my wood box prototype is drying from the walnut stain.  It's gonna get 3 coats of helmsman marine clear and look really good.  I'm also extending the cables to be able to connect and un-connect them.  Slowlane

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #2 - 02/10/21 at 05:00:14

You can get more CCAs in a smaller package.

Antigravity makes small form batteries with more CCA than those.  I have one and it fires up the LS without fail.  It's been maintenance free for the past 3 years.  I left my key on twice though.  Had to take my seat of to get a jump once.  I was able to bump start it the other time.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/small-case/ag-801/

IP Logged
Slowlane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/19/21 at 14:51:53

Trying to post pics of my new battery and battery box.

" alt="" title="" border="0" />

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #4 - 02/19/21 at 17:37:45

If you really want it out of wood, fine.
If you would like to make it out of something more weather hardy, but still easy to work with, check with local sign shops in your area. Some of them have CNC machines that cut out shapes or letters or whatever out of sheets of pvc. I picked up some scraps from behind one that were headed for the dumpster in 1/4'',1/2'', and 3/4''. They get it in 5' sheets and throw away the scraps when they run out of room. The odd sized pieces left over can be used to make all kinds of stuff at home.
For your battery box I'm thinking some 1/4'' stuff would be easy to work with, look good and stand up to the weather.

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #5 - 02/19/21 at 18:59:07

It's not furniture. Paint it black.  Shocked Shocked

IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/19/21 at 21:54:53

Batteries can get hot. When designing a box, take into account how the battery will dissipate heat. Also, the smaller the battery, the hotter it will get. Less surface area to dissipate heat.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 02/19/21 at 23:39:31

I made my battery box using paper mache with paper from a wasp nest (that’s a whole other story) with a few squares of Charmin for the corners and edge. Tuff stuff and cheap enough for  JOG.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #8 - 02/20/21 at 16:53:38

What is wrong with the Suzuki battery box. The last time I looked it was just fine and I can buy a battery at most outlets. DUH.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Slowlane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/21/21 at 10:54:11

The OEM batt box eats up all the room to where it's impossible to get to the battery terminals...its also in the way when you have to remove/replace the carb.   norm92de wrote on 02/20/21 at 16:53:38:
What is wrong with the Suzuki battery box. The last time I looked it was just fine and I can buy a battery at most outlets. DUH.

IP Logged
Slowlane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/21/21 at 10:55:23

ckahleer wrote on 02/19/21 at 21:54:53:
Batteries can get hot. When designing a box, take into account how the battery will dissipate heat. Also, the smaller the battery, the hotter it will get. Less surface area to dissipate heat.

Thanks for the tip....will keep a eye on it.

IP Logged
Slowlane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/21/21 at 10:57:21

badwolf wrote on 02/19/21 at 17:37:45:
If you really want it out of wood, fine.
If you would like to make it out of something more weather hardy, but still easy to work with, check with local sign shops in your area. Some of them have CNC machines that cut out shapes or letters or whatever out of sheets of pvc. I picked up some scraps from behind one that were headed for the dumpster in 1/4'',1/2'', and 3/4''. They get it in 5' sheets and throw away the scraps when they run out of room. The odd sized pieces left over can be used to make all kinds of stuff at home.
For your battery box I'm thinking some 1/4'' stuff would be easy to work with, look good and stand up to the weather.

I was gonna use 3/8" polyethylene cutting board but figured paint would not stick to it.

IP Logged
Slowlane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/21/21 at 10:58:25

hotrod wrote on 02/19/21 at 18:59:07:
It's not furniture. Paint it black.  Shocked Shocked

Good idea...will do next time I snatch it out.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 02/21/21 at 22:44:31

Ahhhh , It gives it personality. Functions well even if crude with the home made look. Folk Art on wheels. Just ride it.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Slowlane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 02/28/21 at 10:37:37

I had to pull my carb a few days ago.  It was a dream not having to remove the battery and the battery box Especially putting it back in.  The smaller (and much cheeper) battery is performing very well.  Next time I pull it I'm gonna paint it black or do a black carbon overlay.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:01:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another Possible Smaller Battery Option - ???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.