Easy riddle (Read 223 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Easy riddle
02/06/21 at 16:12:55

Why does 5k miles old oil on the Honda look so dirty when same age oil on the Savage still looks relatively clean?

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Easy riddle
Reply #1 - 02/06/21 at 18:47:54

?   Huh

I change mine every spring or 10k miles ... which ever comes first !   But , yea , it still looks nice when it drains out.    

Its been so long since I used conventional oil , I can't remember when it was ?   Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #2 - 02/08/21 at 15:06:18

I thought everybody would get this one. The answer is that because by the time I get to 5k miles I have added at least a quart of oil along the way. Yes, I do a lot of highway miles. Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/08/21 at 22:41:37

Honda is water cooled?
water makes oil look crappy.
maybe a leak?

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 02/09/21 at 04:35:46

Sorry I forgot it was a riddle ?  Roll Eyes

In that case my first guess would be : "Different kind of oil" ?  
What kind you putting in ?   Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #5 - 02/09/21 at 10:39:43

No, no leak thank goodness.

I really do not know what kind of oil was in it. The guy I bought it from did indicate synthetic, but that is all I remember. I put synthetic Rotella T6 in it. We'll see how that looks in 5k miles.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 02/09/21 at 10:41:22

Now you guys are making me wonder. Am I the only one that has to add oil to the S40 every few hundred miles (high speed miles)?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 02/09/21 at 14:17:28

springman wrote on 02/09/21 at 10:41:22:
Now you guys are making me wonder. Am I the only one that has to add oil to the S40 every few hundred miles (high speed miles)?

I can ride between oil changes and never add any oil - however my riding is completely different than yours.  My bike spends most of the time between 2,500 - 3,500 on back roads (with my gearing 3,500 rpm is 60 mph).  The Arkansas riding we did is very similar to how I ride in KY - the hills here are not as big and the curves are closer together.

I think the oil in the Honda is getting frightened by the loud mufflers and causing it to decompose from the mental stress!
Wink

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 02/09/21 at 15:56:09

I think the oil in the Honda is getting frightened by the loud mufflers and causing it to decompose from the mental stress!  

Grin

I don't know if its "High-Speed" or not but I'm not shy about running the high side of 70 on the speedometer.    There is a error of about (10 % +) , so an indicated 70 is really near 80 mph on the GPS.   I'd guess about 5k RPM is the most mine ever see's .
but
I never have to add oil.
T-6 plus about 1/2 can of reg. STP. to the upper full mark on the side stand.     No , the clutch don't slip.

It only had about 3k miles on it when I bought it , and it was still idled at 1200 rpm-ish .   I don't think its ever been mis-treated or idled down too low.  Now its up to the 50,000 mile neighborhood and doing fine.  Smiley

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #9 - 02/09/21 at 21:22:15

Mental stress huh? Never occurred to me. Grin

I must admit that on the S40 I do between 70 and 75mph on the highway about 32 miles to work and 32 miles back. And I have to wipe the oil off of the engine after a couple or so rides. And so I just add a bit more oil every now and then.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #10 - 02/10/21 at 07:12:31

My speedo reads progressively HIGH the faster the bike is pushed.   Anything sustained above actual 70 mph drinks oil.  If I push the bike to hold an indicated 90 or above, I had better be ready to add oil when next I add gas- two tanks worth of charging hard risks running dry by the time the third is emptied.

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #11 - 02/10/21 at 11:05:41

I believe mine is not quite as bad as yours Mavi, but yeah, high speed, more oil.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 02/10/21 at 11:29:41

Mine spits oil too.  I don't mind spinning up the rpm a bit

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #13 - 02/10/21 at 14:56:51

Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 02/14/21 at 11:28:33

Fresh oil disappears slower than oil with a thousand miles on it.
I'm not sure if that holds true for the synthetic.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 08:04:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Easy riddle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.