Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cylinder removal from crankcase (Read 73 times)
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cylinder removal from crankcase
02/05/21 at 15:43:28

howdy folks, been a min. Hope this yr is treating you all well.
Last time we all talked, I’d discovered water in my crankcase and we were all iffy as to whether she’d run.
I switched out my cam chain tensioner, clutch pack, battery, changed the oil and filters, cleaned the carb.
Found a ton of metal flakes in my oil but the bike had water in the crankcase before I parked it two yrs ago and a mystery knock which my older and wiser brain tells me is probably rod knock.
So, I did all the aforementioned and got her fired up today with the mystery knock still in tow. I’m preettyttttyyyyy positive it’s not my cam chain tensioner as I vividly recall bending the nut up and having to use a torque wrench for the first time in the crank case before closing it up. I would’ve noticed if it were askew.
My question now is should I ride her til she blows and swap the entire motor out or is it possible for me to swap out the cylinder without removing the crankcase. Having recently replaced the clutch pack and tensioner, I’m not too keen on going back in there if I don’t have to but if it will be easier than removing the cylinder, well, what’re you going to do?
I’ve had this bike now for almost a decade and we are in a committed but toxic relationship so please don’t tell me to sell her. We’re already in too deep. Thanks Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: Cylinder removal from crankcase
Reply #1 - 02/05/21 at 16:06:31

Tell us more about the knock and metal flakes. Where is the knock coming from, cylnder or bottom end? Were the flakes steel or alum. If the knock is coming from the top end you may have a sticky, or bent valve from the cam chain being out of time.
If a piston skirt broke and it still runs,(unlikley) you MIGHT be able to replace it w/o spliting the cases. If the flakes were steel, and the knock is in the bottom end, major work is ahead.

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/05/21 at 18:44:22

Sounds like metal clanking against meta or the choppy blades ogpf a helicopter. I posted a video a while back I will have to look through my post. . I put the stethoscope to it and was thinking it was on the top end, cylinder head. It sounds loudest to me near the exhaust.  The shavings were copper colored and numerous. I used Rotella T for the oil change and let it run enough to lubricate the engine today. I will change it out again in a couple of days. I didn’t see any drops in oil pressure while it had it running today. I let it run for about 15 mins.

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/05/21 at 18:54:02

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J8OoLDLEdi8&feature=youtu.be

Here’s the vid of my bike after the tensioner and clutch pack install in ‘18.
i feel pretty confident that it is coming from the top end and it sounds more like a rod knock than the ticking of the cam chain tensioner when listening to other vids for comparison. I found an engine nearby for a good price w low miles but my mgr(gathering master mechanic) told me pulling the cylinder wouldn’t be worth the trouble.
I don’t want to have to take out the clutch pack and tensioner on my crankcase though in the case that the one I buy hasn’t yet been replaced or isn’t in as good of condition.

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/05/21 at 20:54:33

Follow up question and I’m calling it a night so I will check back tomorrow-
I a, looking at engines ranging from 07 which would be fine bc I have an 02 to 86. I read in an older thread that much remains he same but the  cdi would need to be switched out. Assuming this is the part
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Wiring-Loom-On-Off-Switch-Coil-CDI-Spark-Plug-Set-...
. In the previous poster’s  case, it was the reverse. They were switching from an ‘86 to an ‘02. Would I need to do the same if purchasing an older engine? The prices on eBay are between 600-900$ depending on yr. mileage is the same.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 02/06/21 at 01:38:53

It has been my experience, that a knocking Savage engine is pretty hard to find the source of the noise from the outside.  The darn thing just seems to radiate the noise from everywhere.

Have you even been up top to see what the cam and rockers look like?

Having water in the crankcase could have done a lot of damage....if the water was deep enough to have rusted the bearings.  If the piston was down around the bottom of the stroke, then that would have been the lowest bearing in the engine and that could be what is knocking.

It is my belief that almost any engine swap will likely require some engine work before you drop the new engine in.  The wiring is not a huge issue, as you just need to keep the left side engine cover and magneto of your current engine......if the rotor and stater of the new engine is not compatible.  Buy the best engine you can find....the year is not as important as is condition.  I am not sure about how you ride and it if makes any difference if you have a 4 or 5 speed gearbox.

Most engines I see for sale are from bikes that somebody has crashed or the bike has been abandoned.  The minimum work I would do on a replacement engine is to pull of the head cover and check the condition of the cam and tensioner, replace the stock(leaky) head plug with one from Verslagen.  Then before I install the head cap with Suzukibond sealer I would also check the condition of the cam chain and tensioner, and replace the cam chain if it is worn.

I support your decision to keep your bike - but if you want to ride it and not make it a continual maintenance project.......you really need to get an engine that is in good shape and maintain it regularly.  As I have mentioned above........the $600-$900 engines on eBay are in unknown condition, and almost any one of them will require some mechanical work before you can bolt it in and have an engine that you know will be reliable.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/06/21 at 08:16:03

Before buying the used engine, remove and tear down yours. You may find the source of the knock is easier and cheaper to repair than going through an engine swap.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 02/06/21 at 19:55:26

Check with the techies to see if there are bronze or sintterred bronze bushes in there, you say your metal flakes are copper coloured, could be some knocked out bush, or rust.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/13/24 at 22:27:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cylinder removal from crankcase

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.