Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Front Brake Caliper Issue (Read 74 times)
YeetandGreet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Front Brake Caliper Issue
01/22/21 at 18:00:26

Wanted to go ahead and service my front brakes bleed, piston seals, bracket rubber pieces, and somewhat clean it.

I went ahead to start taking the caliper off, took the bolts, and processed to try and take off the caliper but it was a ***** and a half to take out. I had to go ahead and bring the good old rubber hammer to take it off, which already is a bad sign. It was a hassle to put the caliper back on as well

the piston was working fine but I am a noob when it comes to brakes so I can't assess it correctly   Roll Eyes Undecided

when I finished replacing the old fluid and mounting the caliper back on I rolled the bike only to hear a screeching sound coming front the front wheel.

I re-did the fluid and put it back on and still the same thing

The Caliper Bracket ends up rubbing against the rotor, and I'm unsure of its condition.

IP Logged
YeetandGreet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Front Brake Caliper Issue
Reply #1 - 01/22/21 at 18:02:26

Im more than happy to take more pictures of both parts, I just want to make sure that I'm either going to have to buy A new Rotor or Caliper.

Or if it's savable which would be******* lovely  :'(

« Last Edit: 01/23/21 at 08:29:40 by YeetandGreet »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/22/21 at 18:23:43

What was wrong with it before you fixed it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #3 - 01/22/21 at 19:17:10

The rotor should NEVER rub on the caliper bracket! NEVER It looks like you forgot to put the spacer over the axle between the wheel and left fork leg. If you tighten the axle till it stops w/o the spacer the wheel is too far to the left and will rub/hit something.
Check the exploded parts diagram for the correct assembly. Your spacer may be ''hideing'' from you under or behind something.

IP Logged
YeetandGreet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/23/21 at 08:38:03

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/22/21 at 18:23:43:
What was wrong with it before you fixed it?

I would say nothing, I was just doing regular maintenance as well as just assessing the caliper. Like Badwolf said I may have missed the spacer when I was changing out the front tire

IP Logged
YeetandGreet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/23/21 at 09:07:57

badwolf wrote on 01/22/21 at 19:17:10:
The rotor should NEVER rub on the caliper bracket! NEVER It looks like you forgot to put the spacer over the axle between the wheel and left fork leg. If you tighten the axle till it stops w/o the spacer the wheel is too far to the left and will rub/hit something.
Check the exploded parts diagram for the correct assembly. Your spacer may be ''hideing'' from you under or behind something.

I'm checking over the diagram to check if I'm missing said part, and just to make sure i would be part #6.

I will be checking over the front tire for the spacers and anything else in the meant time, thank you for the replys

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #6 - 01/23/21 at 10:06:01

That is an easy fix. I have seem that more than once. You have the two axle spacers in the wrong sides. Pull the wheel and swap the spacers left for right and the rotor will stop rubbing the caliper.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 01/23/21 at 14:46:37

Next time you take something apart,
lay the parts out CAREFULLY.
Pay attention to where the parts come from and their orientation.
You caused the problems.
I know.
That is MEAN.
Nobody should ever say mean things.
Ooopsies.
Reality isn't politically correct.
The sooner you get this
The sooner you will get better at doing mechanical work.
The Most Important part of fixing things is
A scientific disassembly.
When you need to remove the clutch cover
Will you
DRAW the outline on cardboard and put a slot where every screw goes and thereby Avoid the puzzle of figuring out where each bolt, of different lengths, some with oil seal gaskets go?
Don't think I'm your enemy or have a problem with you.
I'm just trying to wake you up to the realities of working on stuff.
Just because you Want to make things better doesn't mean you will. Mechanics is scientific. Everything has to be done scientifically.
It was designed and built. If you don't pay attention and put it Back together right, you can expect weird stuff to happen.
Don't get Butthurt and run away. Just hear the message.

Careful disassembly takes time.
But
It removes the Puzzles of assembly
Which keeps us from shafting ourselves.

NOBODY taught me that.
My life would have been easier if Only I had someone to explain that to me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
YeetandGreet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/23/21 at 15:35:07

@justin thank you for your words of knowledge, most of the things I've done that are mechanically inclined I've had to either taught myself or had the help of school since I've never had anyone who can in a sense guide or correct me.

with that being said I appreciate you for taking the time to pass some knowledge onto me. I can't believe my dumbass the second time putting the wheel I switched the spacers knowing that they went a certain way. Most times that a have some spare time to work on the bike, I've been pretty burned down but, that shouldn't be an excuse to not pay attention to things.

all and all my issue was solved and I thank this site for everything it has done  Grin    Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 01/23/21 at 16:35:44

One day you will need to go into the clutch cover.
Don't forget what I said about drawing the cover, marking where each bolt goes, and pokiing each bolt into its respective place.
When I was18 a few guys decided to rebuild an engine and asked if I wanted in on it.
They all had things they wanted to do.
I decided I would take the nuts, bolts, bits and pieces and organize them as it was torn down.
Being a buncha EEEEDIOTS we didn't know it needed, at least honed if not bored.
We took it apart
Put rings in it
IIRC, didn't touch the valves.
But,reassembly went smoothly.
Bracket bolts, water pump, power steering, everything went smoothly because I had a good area cardboard to put stuff through,
Aaand it ran EXACTLY the same when we were done..

But we did not create a problem.
And being there with no experience
Nothing other than enough sense to realize that none of us knew how to put it back toe
That is what led me to being very careful about the disassembly process.

Sadly, I must admit, after that big teaching moment, I forgot how important a lesson that was and did some work without that scientific method. I paid dearly for that.

Take your time
Be methodical
You will save time in the long run.

Oh, and taking stuff apart to put something in because your parts weren't in order
AbsoFukkinLootely

SUKKS!

Good luck in your journeys.

And

Part of the reason getting the rotor off is SUCHABICH

It's got some serious threadlock juice on it.

Inspect your threads
Carefully..
Use thread lock?
Ask the guys, I dunno. No

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #10 - 01/24/21 at 08:12:27

Fast 650 wrote on 01/23/21 at 10:06:01:
That is an easy fix. I have seem that more than once. You have the two axle spacers in the wrong sides. Pull the wheel and swap the spacers left for right and the rotor will stop rubbing the caliper.
------------

Ding, ding, ding...

I did that once.  lol

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #11 - 01/24/21 at 09:28:18

It is so easy to mix them up. My bike had the same problem when I got it. That is when I found out the spacers are different lengths.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 23:19:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front Brake Caliper Issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.