Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How critical is proper break-in? (Read 119 times)
JED
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

How critical is proper break-in?
01/18/21 at 06:47:22

I’m shopping for used a savage and my biggest concern is if the seller did the recommended break-in procedure.  You just never know if a stranger is being honest.  

Is this something I should concern myself with?  

Thanks.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: How critical is proper break-in?
Reply #1 - 01/18/21 at 06:54:29

Proper break-in is important. Worrying about how someone broke-in their bike is a complete waste of time. There's no way to know. Judge the bike by its condition. If it has been properly maintained and shows signs of being a loved machine, chances are it was broken-in properly. If its an unloved lump....

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #2 - 01/18/21 at 07:12:46

Look for a trail of receipts. Did the guy get  service at recommended mile  intervals.  Does he frequently check the oil level ?
Does he use the right oil?
Just being there. Have the guy start it cold.  Is he a "red liner" thus seeks to float the valves on start up? if so don't walk away... Run!

IP Logged
JED
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/18/21 at 07:33:46

Thanks Gary and Matchless!  Matchless what is the proper oil?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 01/18/21 at 10:47:41

Shell RotellaT4 or T6
It’s a Diesel engine oil with a proper amount of ZZDP in it which protects our 60’s vintage (Engineering wise) engine.

T4 is a Dino oil while T6 is synthetic.  $ vs $$$
1 gal of T4 costs about $15 in my neighborhood, T6 is much more.

IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/18/21 at 11:38:46

JED wrote on 01/18/21 at 07:33:46:
Thanks Gary and Matchless!  Matchless what is the proper oil?

Asking what is the proper oil to use is allot like asking what is the best way to break in an engine. Some say follow the manufacture's recommendations, Some say break it in the way your going to ride it. Others say beat it hard.
I say rev it up to the max RPM the manufacture recommends during break in. Then close the throttle and engine brake. Repeat often during break in.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 01/18/21 at 12:15:41

Then close the throttle and engine brake. Repeat often during break in.

That uses engine vacuum to seat rings to the cylinder.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #7 - 01/18/21 at 18:35:14

Im sure its somewhat important.  But I just have to say that after several rebuilds I have gone ripping right out garage and it didnt seem to make any difference.

Now if your redlining, short shifting and neglecting the oil in your motor whether its new or used is going to stress some parts.

But it seems like after the first 10 min of the bike running the impact is not super big.

Granted this is a lot of 2 stroke and 4 stroke dirt bikes Im talking about.  And I would rebuild them at least once a year.

But Ive heard other guys express the same.  

Im not saying its good practice, but most failures you see on this website is from people just plain putting the motor together wrong.

WWW   IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/26/21 at 12:34:41

"Im not saying its good practice, but most failures you see on this website is from people just plain putting the motor together wrong."

I agree with this.

I'm only 3 motors in on my bikes and never once attempted a proper break in just to see what happens.  They run fine.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 01/26/21 at 14:15:50

I am fussy.........I try to be a bit easy on my engines until they have a significant amount of time on them.

I think the bottom end is broken in quickly, as they are all roller or ball bearings.  The cam and rockers likely break in quickly as well - I suspect those are all ready to go to hard in 100 miles or less.

The cylinder and rings take the longest - I try to behave for 500 miles and not go to high rpm or a lot of throttle for extended periods.  I also avoid staying at any particular rpm for long periods - the hilly/curvy rural roads here are perfect......lots of 30-50 mph riding!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/02/21 at 14:35:41

JED wrote on 01/18/21 at 06:47:22:
I’m shopping for used a savage and my biggest concern is if the seller did the recommended break-in procedure.  You just never know if a stranger is being honest.  

Is this something I should concern myself with?  

Thanks.

What ever, I bout a 20 yer old Savage it took tre times for me to start it!
And then I drive to my home, topt up some new gas to be sure.
It was in springtime, my old MC clothings was not that good.. in anyway I manage to drive my bike frome the storage to my garage!

Soo, a new helmet new boots att first, new glows and a new jaket, the old leader trouser seems to work whit breaces!

Next thing.. new tires and tubes, new oil and oil filter!

And to the break-in.. lucky that your seller told this.. IE I think its becuse your bike have been standing some time?
In any case.. let the oil circulate, make sure its new, and the oil filter, brake in tyres if they are hard, or rather by new ones, and the tubes to!
Brake in brakes, is there any rust, try it out, this is moste importante for the rear brake! And then, the fronbrake is more importante, check the fluid, drain the whole thing and put in brand new braking fluid, to play safe!

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #11 - 02/02/21 at 16:22:59

One thing I have learned over many years is that engines are expensive. Oil is not even on the list of things to cut corners on.

I have never had an engine failure on a motorcycle.

Aircraft engines? Yes, but they are not comparable. Even then there is usually a reason.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 02/03/21 at 10:29:46

You are right Norm.
There is always a reason, it just depends on whether we can find it, then we can say THIS is the reason.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/16/24 at 04:36:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How critical is proper break-in?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.