Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
gtnerd - Scrambler Build (Read 1022 times)
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Re: gtnerd - Scrambler Build
Reply #45 - 03/08/21 at 12:07:33

Well, I messed that up pretty bad. Not sure what I did. Guess I cut the spacer after there was load on it or something...wow.

The number on the spring doesn't look like any of the model numbers suggested. I'm guessing that's not the model number, right?

Since the new spring and spacer are the same length as the old spring, could I just add the old space on top, with the right size washer in between? See right pic. Or should I got try to find something to use for a new spacer?

20210308_140259-COLLAGE.jpg
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #46 - 03/08/21 at 13:29:04

Racetech doesn't make the springs. That is a manufacturers part number, but the rate is correctly noted. Like I mentioned above, I think that spring is too short. But if you are committed to using it, reinstall the spring in the fork leg and with the tube fully extended measure the distance of the top of the spring to the top of the fork tube (maybe just a few mm's longer). That is the required spacer length. The threaded portion of the fork cap is about 15mm, so that will get you your 15mm of preload.

It does appear that you could stack the spacers. You would have to put a washer between them. But the correct solution is a single spacer cut from a length of 1-1/4" PVC (I think Schedule-80 comes in 1-1/8 which is a better size) with a washer between the PVC and the spring, and a second washer between the cap and the PVC. Subtract the thickness of the washers from the measured length of PVC.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Reply #47 - 03/22/21 at 20:40:17

Short update. Replaced spacers on the front forks. It rides much better, but I still need to call racetech to talk through replacement.

While I was working on it, I also scrubbed the rust on the sanctions. Can't tell it was ever there. I'll keep an eye on the seals though. Thanks Gary.

I went out of town, and when I returned, noticed a small oil puddle under the bike, wtf... It's coming from the left side on the case behind the shift rod. Any thoughts on how to diagnose and fix? I'm also a bit worried I caused this, since it wasn't leaking last fall.  Undecided  Sad

20210322_223735-COLLAGE.jpg
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #48 - 03/23/21 at 06:35:47

I would put a wrench on it and see if it turns at all. But in the top photo, I believe I see some cracking in the case. It could be just the way the oil/dirt have formed. The case shouldn't crack on its own without some trauma.

« Last Edit: 03/23/21 at 11:01:16 by Gary_in_NJ »  

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #49 - 03/23/21 at 10:11:18

Try tightening all the long engine mounting bolts that go thru frame and engine. Clean area , check oil level , ride it , recheck for leaks.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #50 - 03/23/21 at 16:40:42

Ruttly, Thanks for the useful info. I put my 2011 in the rack last week to install a new Delkevic muffler. Of course to do that I had to remove the stock. To make that as easy as possible I pulled the entire assembly with the header, to put it up on the bench to work on it. So a couple days ago I walk by te bike and there is a small oil stain on the floor under it in area that gtenginerd experienced. This bike had never leaked any oil in the over 18 months I have had it, so I was a bit perplexed. I cleaned up the floor and examined under it and could not see anywhere there was sign of oil leaking on engine. I placed a fresh paper towel under it to see what happens and haven't been to shop since (on vacation this week) to follow up.

Anyway to get to point, to remove exhaust assembly I had to pull the guard for it attached with the said bolts of the right footpeg. Think (read hope) that this is the source, as that's the only thing that was done to bike since I last rode it almost 3 weeks ago, it had sat for 2 weeks before I statred working on it and no oil stain in that spot. I feel better with the knowledge and hope that it will all be fine when I get back to working on it next week. I just could not figure out or see where the oil was coming from as it appeared to be in that area on the bike but I was like "there's nothing there to leak oil".

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #51 - 03/23/21 at 19:16:42

The 2 footpeg bolts go thru the engine. When you have them loose for awhile it is common to seep some oil from the center split of the engine. Should go away when you tighten the bolts back up.

IP Logged
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Reply #52 - 03/23/21 at 20:21:19

So you're saying I shouldn't jb weld it like this rear diff...  Grin
https://i.redd.it/64360qwm3vo61.jpg

So this is all making sense in an embarrassing way, but I have no shame, so...

My dad dropped it on that side a few years ago, nothing major. Low speed, in a turn, some gravel on the road, too much front break. That's the story I got at least. No leak afterward. I've been working on the bike and didn't realize the screws through the muffler mount on the bottom of the bike were also securing the bottom of the motor mount (see picture). At the same time I screwed up the suspension and rode this thing like a flintstone car, bumping hard on the road. After a couple rides I realized the bolts needed to be reinstalled on the motor mount, but probably loosened things up some and have allowed the leak to occur. Some newbie mistakes, but it's honestly therapeutic, so here we go with more garage time trying to fix it.

20210323_221911-COLLAGE.jpg
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #53 - 03/24/21 at 05:48:19

I'm not trying to be insulting or disrespectful, but I need to make a point here.

I'm seeing a trend in your mechanics and maintenance practices. I don't think you are visualizing the necessary steps to perform maintenance and you are not inspecting your work to see if you have achieved the desired result. There seems to be a bit of haphazardness to your approach. So far the results have been comical...but you seem to have the potential to turn this haphazardness into a deadly situation. My suggestion:

Buy or download a manual for the bike
Prior to performing maintenance on the bike, create a punch list of required steps
Purchase and use a torque wrench. Put all torque values on your list
Stop from time to time to review what has been done, and what are the next steps
Take your time, but stay focused
Upon completion, go through your punch list and check off each item
If something doesn't seem right, it probably isn't

IP Logged
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Reply #54 - 03/24/21 at 06:34:38

No offense taken. You are completely correct. You've given the gut check I needed to slow down and be more thorough. I appreciate that. I've got the manual and a torque wrench, just need to put them to better use.

IP Logged
niceast
Ex Member

Reply #55 - 03/24/21 at 20:54:26

Did you ever figure out that leaky side stand.

seems common
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1457549790/2

I have it too. after riding it will drop 2-3 drops of oils. I fill 3 tablespoon every thousands.

IP Logged
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Reply #56 - 04/05/21 at 19:52:42

Spring Break, coaching soccer and baseball, new job and plenty of other things...short version:

Torqued main bolts, they needed it, torqued bolts around leak, nothing glaring...leak slowed to 1 drop per 4-5 days (from multiple per day). Need a smaller torque wrench to test smaller bolts...will report back

IP Logged
Edub

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Arizona
Reply #57 - 04/10/21 at 20:34:56

gtenginerd wrote on 04/05/21 at 19:52:42:
Spring Break, coaching soccer and baseball, new job and plenty of other things...short version:

Torqued main bolts, they needed it, torqued bolts around leak, nothing glaring...leak slowed to 1 drop per 4-5 days (from multiple per day). Need a smaller torque wrench to test smaller bolts...will report back

Good to hear that this helped, hopefully the leak will stop. Looking forward to your continuing updates, I really like the direction you've gone with your bike.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #58 - 04/11/21 at 03:48:00

The drips may take a little bit of time to disappear.  The oil has seeped out of the crankcase joint and gone into the space between the spacer tube and engine mount bolt.  A few rides and heat cycles may be necessary to allow the oil to find it's way out.

Don't over-tighten the small bolts - they strip easily.  A small wrench and one hand is all that should be used.....just make sure they are snug and not gorilla grip tight!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Edub

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Arizona
Reply #59 - 04/11/21 at 13:51:00

Dave wrote on 04/11/21 at 03:48:00:
The drips may take a little bit of time to disappear.  The oil has seeped out of the crankcase joint and gone into the space between the spacer tube and engine mount bolt.  A few rides and heat cycles may be necessary to allow the oil to find it's way out.

Don't over-tighten the small bolts - they strip easily.  A small wrench and one hand is all that should be used.....just make sure they are snug and not gorilla grip tight!  

100% agree, and an inch-pound torque wrench is your friend!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 08:54:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gtnerd - Scrambler Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.