Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
gtnerd - Scrambler Build (Read 1022 times)
Edub

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Arizona
Re: It has Begun - Scrambler Build
Reply #30 - 02/08/21 at 20:12:23

gtenginerd wrote on 02/08/21 at 16:17:00:
Used a lincoln 110 mig welder. We tried adjusting the heat after I burned a couple holes in the tube when I started. The tube being thinner than the bar steel, probably meant we adjusted it too low for the bar. But I stopped putting holes in the tube.  Undecided

I did make it removable. Had to pick up longer bolts for the front/tank mount, and new ones for the rear mounting point after drilling out the fender threads.

Now on to electronics. I've made a plate to mount the r/r and starter solenoid, and cut down the battery box to be the same size as LiPo, but I need to organize the wires and rewire the rear lights.

Lincoln makes a good welder.  My question was more about whether you use gas or flux core wire in your machine, apologies did not being specific.  Gas will give much cleaner welds, but costs more.  Thanks for the photos, they answered my other question, about whether you were cutting the frame or not, and whether your subframe was going to be bolted or welded on.  Great photos and progress, thanks for sharing!

IP Logged
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Reply #31 - 02/21/21 at 07:04:10

@edub: it was flux core...easy for me to learn, but did require quite a bit of cleanup.

Status update of things recently completed:
More welding to afix the mounting plates to the seat loop.
Painted the seat loop.
Made a mount for the license plate holder.
Painted the battery box that I chopped up.
Mounted battery box and seat loop.
Used a 1.5" x 2" flexible plumbing connector to mount the new cone filter.
Wired up the rear lights.

Next Up:
General wire cleanup - The wires for the tail light are 26 gauge or something tiny and the solderless connectors required too much heat for the tiny wire. Going back to traditional soldering and heat shrink. I have a few 4 pin aviator connectors I might use to keep the flimsy wires secure.

Small aluminum fender to shield the electrical - from the ride around the block yesterday, enough muck from the road dirtied up  the clean bike to make me want to do this.

Steel Braid Brake Line - This has been sitting on the shelf for months and I never got around to it.

Muffler Mount - after taking off the bottom plate (idk the name), I don't have anything to secure the muffler to. I need to make the aluminum bar a couple inches longer and it will attach just fine to another mounting hole.

Rear Wheel - I purchased a hub off ebay and had it sent to Buchanans. Going with a 18x3.5 so I can fit the AVON Roadrider MKII 130/70 x 18 on it. The hub just arrived there on friday.

Foot Controls - I cycle a good bit, and the biggest difference I can tell is the lack of ability to control the bike with my core based on my foot and leg position. I think I'll really love this bike after I get this done, but it's going to take some planning. The kickstand and brake cables don't have a clear solution  for me yet.

20210221_083256-COLLAGE.jpg
  IP Logged
Edub

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Arizona
Reply #32 - 02/22/21 at 23:49:12

Great progress, it's coming along nicely! Looking forward to your next update, keep the pictures coming!

IP Logged
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Re: gtnerd - Scrambler Build
Reply #33 - 02/25/21 at 20:19:34

I was super disappointed with the first pass at rewiring the rear lights. Here's the revised version with aviator connectors. These will get mounted to the inside of the extended aluminum fender I plan to make this weekend.

No duct tape and bailing wire yet...

20210225_184241-COLLAGE.jpg
  IP Logged
Edub

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Arizona
Reply #34 - 02/25/21 at 20:40:27

I meant to ask you this before, what seat are you using? It looks good!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #35 - 02/26/21 at 06:24:24

gtenginerd wrote on 02/25/21 at 20:19:34:
Here's the revised version with aviator connectors.

I've never heard them called that before. Aviators would actually call them BNC connectors. They are typically used for coaxial antenna connections.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Reply #36 - 03/05/21 at 03:35:18

@edub: Tuffside Seat with upswept tail and rear band stitching.
https://www.tuffside.com/2-Tone-Universal-Brat-Seats-p/tuff_uni_flatseat.htm

@Gary: I went down a rabbit hole on the connectors and naming...long story short, the aviators are recent chinese design (withholding comment) adopted by folks here doing custom usb cable design. They've worked well for me so far.

Update: Not much progress. I actually went backwards some. I made an aluminum plate with a mount for the connectors and it works great. The issue was I got too excited and didn't double check everything before going out for a ride. The new license plate mount didn't have enough clearance with all the travel the new rear shocks provide, and I hadn't gotten locknuts for the screws holding it. Mid ride I heard something and looked down. The mount was dangling right above the tire from the electric cable. Pulled over, disconnected electrical using the trusty new aViAtOr ConNeCtoR  Cheesy and came on home. I ended up heating up the aluminum bar stock I used for the mount and bending it to get the extra clearance. Put it back together, turned the key and saw smoke come out of the license plate light. I should have check the connection to the light after the stressed from dangling. The wires were stripped and shorted out. No license plate light atm.  Undecided on the bright side, I love the bike. It's really fun to ride and I can't wait until I can get the rearsets on.

Brake line this weekend, rear wheel gets here next Friday. May enjoy it/ride it some before trying the rearsets. Replace the tires and put on rear wheel and do rear sets in a few months.

The only question I have today...could I have screwed something up when swapping the front springs over to the racetech springs? They're stiff as can be and almost hurts to go over railroad tracks. I put the right amount of fork oil and cut spacers as directed.

20210227_235407-COLLAGE.jpg
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #37 - 03/05/21 at 05:44:24

What rate springs did you install? What is your weight? Which part number springs did you choose?

IP Logged
Edub

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Arizona
Reply #38 - 03/05/21 at 08:03:56

Gary’s asking the right questions, of course! I’ll have to re-read your posts, I don’t recall if you got the cartridge emulators or not.  They are adjustable, which may help, but the spring rate is a critical first step, before playing with damping rates.  Did you measure your static sag after installing the new springs? If so, what did you get? This may help experts much smarter than me help diagnose the issues.

Looking good overall.  Sorry to hear about your clearance issue, but it’s good the damage wasn’t worse.  I thought that might have been one of Craig Chappell’s Tuffside seats.  They look really well made, although I’ve never sat in one. Is it reasonably comfortable?

IP Logged
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Reply #39 - 03/05/21 at 11:06:06

@Gary, They are Model # FRSPS3234080 - 0.80 Spring Rate. I'm 175#, 180# after a long weekend. I called and talked to their technical sales guy and gave him all the info and he said for my weight I should cut the spacers flush with the top of the tube. No cartridge emulators...yet.

@Edub, Didn't measure sag after install. The seat is comfortable enough for me, but I'm doing max 1 hour rides, mostly scooting around town.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #40 - 03/05/21 at 12:14:37

gtenginerd wrote on 03/05/21 at 11:06:06:
@Gary, They are Model # FRSPS3234080 - 0.80 Spring Rate. I'm 175#, 180# after a long weekend. I called and talked to their technical sales guy and gave him all the info and he said for my weight I should cut the spacers flush with the top of the tube. No cartridge emulators...yet.

I think RaceTech suggested the wrong springs. I used the FRSP S2938070 springs on my bike. I too weigh 175-180 and the part number I noted are 0.70kg/mm springs. I also think the FRSPS32340XX might be a bit too large...but the S2938070 series only goes up to 0.75kg/mm - so if the tech miscalculated the rate...that would lead him to the larger spring. The ID of the fork tubes is 33mm and you have installed 32mm springs. For reference the OEM springs are 29mm (as are the part number I've used). Anyway...

When you spoke with Racetech, did you tell them that your Savage was much lighter then the OEM bike? Just by loosing the rear fender assembly you shaved about 40 pounds from the bike - that is significant. My cafe racer weighs in the 295 pound range, and 290-300 seems to be fairly typical of the genre'.

I think the preload suggestion is a correct starting point...for springs of the correct rate. Edub asks the correct question, what is the static sag and race sag. You should see about 35-40mm of race sag and 10-15mm of static sag. Read post #4 of my suspension set-up thread => http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1498156004

My suggestion, return those springs for the part number I noted above. Preload with 15mm. I would use a larger air gap then the OEM suggestion of 75mm. I would suggest 100mm for now, and 140mm after you install the GVE's.

IP Logged
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Reply #41 - 03/07/21 at 18:12:33

The brake line is replaced. It was much easier than I expected.

I measured the baseline and static sag and was confused as it looked off compared to what you mentioned. Once I confirmed, I never made it back out to remeasure and reassess. Looks like I've got about almost 3 inches (70mm) of static sag. WTF. I'm not sure what's going on, but it explains it being so uncomfortable. I plan to take caps off and check spacers, and go through what I did on the install. I'm not sure how it could be that far off.

Thanks Gary and Edub

20210307_195000-COLLAGE.jpg
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #42 - 03/08/21 at 06:32:11

3 inches of static sag? Something is very wrong. Are you sure you had 15mm of preload? The OEM springs are 394mm in length. The springs you installed are 340mm in length (FRSPS3234080). Did you cut new spacers that were at least 54mm (2 inches) longer than the original spacer?

Based on the diameter, free-length and rate - I would replace those springs with FRSP S2938070 springs. BTW, I just checked racetech's site and they now offer the 29380 series springs in rates from 0.70 up to 0.95 kg/mm.

BTW, more bad news, those fork stanchions are pitting and need to be re-chromed or replaced. They will eat through your fork seals in short order. You can try polishing them with 00 steel wool, but they look a bit too far gone in my opinion.  At the very least, polish the ones you have, and when the fork seals fail you can install new tubes with the seals.

« Last Edit: 03/08/21 at 07:54:28 by Gary_in_NJ »  

IP Logged
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Reply #43 - 03/08/21 at 08:18:16

Spacers are definitely the issue. Cut them flush as instructed and they weren't 2 inch longer than stock. I'll revise spacers and polish forks for now. make plans for long term. Thanks a bunch Gary!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #44 - 03/08/21 at 09:14:31

Put your new springs next to the old ones, that's how much longer the spacer needs to be.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 13:34:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gtnerd - Scrambler Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!