Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trying to find accessories that fit... (Read 88 times)
drannonb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Trying to find accessories that fit...
01/16/21 at 23:50:39

I see a TON of stuff for earlier models than mine (2013) and not any marked as fitting mine... I'm assuming that things like saddle bags and sissy bars will fit just the same right?  Those are really what I'm looking for at the moment.  I see folks with the sissy bar with the luggage rack and that's really what I'm after.

I'm planning on taking my little thumper on a long camping trip soon and need all the luggage/storage I can get.

Any help with answers or sourcing parts would be amazing.  Thanks yall!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Trying to find accessories that fit...
Reply #1 - 01/17/21 at 02:38:05

There have been very few changes on the Savage that won't allow parts to be interchangeable.  I am not aware of any changes that occurred after 2005 that would affect the fitment to your bike.....after that I believe the only changes have been the color and amount of chrome.

One thing that may affect what you are doing is the side rails and sissy bar.  Early bikes had a small sissy bar and the mount was incorporated into the side rails on the rear fender - later bikes did not have a sissy bar and the side rails do not have a mount.  You can interchange the parts from an early bike and get a sissy bar - it does require you to change the bolts and I believe you also have to drill an additional hole in each side of the fender.  

The early bikes had a 2 piece seat with the front and rear being separate, and later bikes had a one piece seat.  The rear fender has different mounting points for the different style seats.

The turn signal housing shaped changed and early bikes had were round shaped and later ones were bullet shaped.

In 2004 the electrical switches on the handlebars were changed and include a switch so you can flash the high beam and it also includes emergency flasher.

The handlebar shape was "buckhorns" on early bikes and "drag bars" on later bikes.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
drannonb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/17/21 at 11:53:57

Thanks for clearing that up for me Dave!  It's really kind of a bummer there's not any good tie down points on this model  Undecided

Does anybody have any recommendations for good fitting saddle bags?  Saddle bag supports?

Any good ideas on making the bike better for carrying stuff beyond that?

IP Logged
drannonb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/17/21 at 12:01:28

I would assume this is the nearly complete piece I would require?  I'm still a bit confused about them all.

Screenshot_2021-01-17_135926.png
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 01/17/21 at 12:11:56

drannonb wrote on 01/17/21 at 12:01:28:
I would assume this is the nearly complete piece I would require?  I'm still a bit confused about them all.

Yes and the bolts as they are different length.
But you might want to replace them with button head bolts so there's less chance to scar the tires if you add the saddle bag braces.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 01/17/21 at 12:15:19

Dave wrote on 01/17/21 at 02:38:05:
 You can interchange the parts from an early bike and get a sissy bar - it does require you to change the bolts and I believe you also have to drill an additional hole in each side of the fender.  

Dave I've swapped sissy bar rails for no sissy bar and no changes are necessary.

WWW   IP Logged
drannonb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/17/21 at 14:14:00

Thanks for the tips Vers!  So it seems like I need the one with the attached blinkers but would this one work as well...?  Obviously the 150$ difference is pretty substantial...

Screenshot_2021-01-17_161153.png
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 01/17/21 at 14:50:14

Unless you need new blinkers, get the cheaper one.
blinkers all mount the same way.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 01/18/21 at 03:30:58

verslagen1 wrote on 01/17/21 at 12:15:19:
Dave I've swapped sissy bar rails for no sissy bar and no changes are necessary.

Maybe it is the other way then.....you need to drill a hole if you are mounting "no sissy bar" rails on a sissy bar bike.  For some reason I believe there was an an extra metal dowel sticking out of one model, and it fit into a hole in the side of the fender.  (I could be wrong).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 01/18/21 at 09:04:11

Dave wrote on 01/18/21 at 03:30:58:
verslagen1 wrote on 01/17/21 at 12:15:19:

Maybe it is the other way then.....you need to drill a hole if you are mounting "no sissy bar" rails on a sissy bar bike.  For some reason I believe there was an an extra metal dowel sticking out of one model, and it fit into a hole in the side of the fender.  (I could be wrong).

Both models mount with 3 bolts and have a pin that fits into a hole with a rubber grommet.

WWW   IP Logged
drannonb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/19/21 at 15:28:01

Thanks guys I really appreciate all the info.  I went ahead and grabbed the cheaper one.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 01:35:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trying to find accessories that fit...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.