Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
These bars and stock cables etc? (Read 165 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
These bars and stock cables etc?
01/16/21 at 19:58:21

Hey guys, I'm kinda keen on the bars linked below. But I have doubts about whether they will work with stock cables, wires, brake line etc. (I reckon they're probably borderline). The page I've linked to includes a tech sheet with measurements for the bars: rise, pullback etc.

My bike is a 2014 and came stock with the tall risers and narrow drag bars.

Does anyone have enough experience with handlebars to offer an opinion on whether or not you think these bars will work?

Cheers

https://barcrafthandlebars.com.au/collections/1-handlebars/products/western-b...

« Last Edit: 01/17/21 at 02:42:42 by Dave »  

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: These bars and stock cables etc?
Reply #1 - 01/17/21 at 02:44:45

This are nice looking handlebars!

I am not sure about the cables - however I do know the knurled places on the handlebars will not line up with the riser clamps on the Savage.  Harley's use a wider spacing than the Savage has.  The cables for the Buckhorn handlebars are longer and may fit if the ones for the drag bars won't.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 01/17/21 at 03:50:51

It would be a close call on the stock cables fitting with the taller bars.  You would need to get the new bars, mount them and if the stock cables will fit.
You can get bars with the same shape shape for a lot less than $230.
If you did need a new set of throttle/clutch/brake the new cost from Barnett is $350, yep they are a bit pricey.

Some folks buy cable parts and make their own for less.
Ask for input from them.

Bottom line is you need the new bars mounted to measure the new lengths needed for a new cable set either way you go, whether pre-made or DIY.

There is a proper way to measure for a really good fit; I can send that to you if you wish.

IP Logged
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Reply #3 - 01/17/21 at 05:44:57

I'd measure the current riser height and distance from riser to controls on the bars.

See how that compared to the bars you posted. You may get by with getting shorter riser and not have to mess with controls.

This is what I did, but bars aren't as high:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DPZ7Z3/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HGSN27K/

IP Logged
Slowlane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/17/21 at 06:31:34

I am getting ready to do a handlebar change.  I have the brake hose, clutch cable awaiting delivery.  I already have the longer throttle cable and the handlebars.  They shipped the handlebars in about 2 days and they are very heavy and nicely made.   https://www.powersportsuperstore.com/collections/all-products/products/emgo-0...

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #5 - 01/21/21 at 21:22:46

Hey guys, thanks for all the great feedback!!

@Batman, I agree they are good looking bars. And, they're exactly what I'm after. The seller offers options for metric or Imperial spaced knurling, or no knurling at all. So that should be fine. I did wonder about the cables for the buckhorn bars ... I'll keep that as an option.

@Lancer, Yeah, I agree it would be a close call. I'm currently running some Biltwell Z-Bars with a 6" rise. Everything is fine but the brake fluid line is at its maximum length with no weight on the front shocks. These bars have a 5.8" rise but more pull back. I reckon it would be close. And ... jeepers, the cost of new cables is expensive! The supplier's site does have a direct measurement from riser to control box, for comparison. I'll check that out and hope for some leeway. As for the cost of bars, here in Australia, everything is expensive ... luckily, I didn't buy the bike to save money  Cool

@gtenginerd, thanks for the tips. As I mentioned to Lancer, the site does offer a spec on distance from riser to controls, so I'll check that out. The risers you linked to look very similar in size to the stock risers for the buckhorn handlebars. Also, I've used the same bars (trackers) with some home made 40mm risers. That's the closest I've come to a perfect fit.

@Slowlane ... nice looking bars. Let us know how they feel once you get 'em on!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #6 - 01/22/21 at 01:48:03

ventura-bike.com make a wide range of bars and accessories for bikes
I have their low west bars on my bike

Hiko   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #7 - 01/22/21 at 11:19:32

Hiko wrote on 01/22/21 at 01:48:03:
ventura-bike.com make a wide range of bars and accessories for bikes
I have their low west bars on my bike

Thanks! I'll check them out  Smiley

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #8 - 09/28/21 at 22:41:52

Well, I decided to give the bars ago. I'm really happy with them. I was right, they are right at the limit for the cables etc. (my bike came stock with the tall risers and narrow drag bars) I didn't need to modify anything.  I just had to reroute the cables and wires behind the front forks instead of in front of them. I was able to fit the switch boxes and levers through the gap by just turning the front wheel to full lock on each side.

At 32" they're the widest bars I've tried, and the have the most pull back I've tried. They're really comfortable and provide a really sound sense of control.

I know they were expensive but I've been trying for ages to find the right fit. It was money well spent.

Here are a couple of picks for anyone interested:

IMG_20210929_152348.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #9 - 09/28/21 at 22:43:32

Image 2

IMG_20210929_153502.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #10 - 09/28/21 at 22:44:32

Image 3

IMG_20210929_152430.jpg

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 09/29/21 at 10:54:38

First off those bars are bada$$ , they look great !  Lengthen everything those cables are unsafe , we all have bad days you don’t need a automatic whiskey throttle. Brake hose & wiring too. IMO it’s worth it. Your bike looks very cool and those bars are a must for it.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 09/29/21 at 10:57:24

Hey where did you get those rings on the rear fender where you removed the eyebrows ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 09/29/21 at 18:21:35

I found some on ebay a long time ago.

WWW   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #14 - 09/29/21 at 21:21:32

Ruttly wrote on 09/29/21 at 10:57:24:
Hey where did you get those rings on the rear fender where you removed the eyebrows ?

They're just some eye-bolts (M8) that I got from the hardware store. I used Button style, Allen Key bolts on the inside because my back tyre is a little wider than stock. I also stuck a bit of adhesive weather-strip on the base of the rings to prevent scratching ... that worked with limited results Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 21:54:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › These bars and stock cables etc?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.