Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rear tire broke loose on fast U turn (Read 146 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Rear tire broke loose on fast U turn
01/14/21 at 07:46:18

I don't believe I ever got the rear tire to break loose on the S40 but this morning doing a quick u turn on the Honda Shadow the rear tire broke loose. I kept control of the bike but at the same time that a jolt of fear hit me, I also had a big smile on my face. I don't know if it is the shaft drive jacking effect that I have read about or just the extra power of the bike but it is something I would prefer not to do unintentionally. Yeah, if I'm actually trying to do it, it's OK, but not when I'm not expecting it. Shocked

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Rear tire broke loose on fast U turn
Reply #1 - 01/14/21 at 08:30:25

Cool

Those 90deg. BIG Twins !  the first piston hit pulls the tire to its traction limit then the second stroke 270 deg. later piles on that little extra !    Its a good thing its 450 deg. before the first one starts the repeat cycle ...  Wink  

I had a Harley 1200 Sportster that had similar manners .  Then the 883 ... not so much.   Roll Eyes
The 1200's are tuned hot enough that they require High Test fuel all the time.
I suspect Honda tunes their bikes as Hot as they Dare most of the time ?

How far did it take to grab traction again ?   Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/14/21 at 09:00:07

You gunned it and all that racket scared that poor tire.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #3 - 01/14/21 at 13:26:53

How far did it take to grab traction again? Man I do not know, but it was certainly a little more than I would have liked. It definitely puckered me a bit. Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 01/14/21 at 16:26:40

Well, it has certainly been an interesting day. I just got home a few minutes ago and about a 1/2 mile from home a pick up coming out of the supermarket parking lot tried to take me out. The pickup crossed the two lanes on the other side of the road, did not stop in between the median and just blasted through. Thank goodness it looked like a bad situation from the beginning as there was another pickup stopped in the turn lane blocking the view so the pickup did not see me but I saw the headlight so I was already on the brake when he blasted through. As I saw the front end of the pickup I increased pressure on the rear brake and locked it up a bit. I caught up to the moron at the next stop light and yelled a few chose words which I'm sure meant nothing to the idiot. Oh well, a lot of rear end action so far today. I wonder?!? Wink

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 01/14/21 at 17:36:33

Read , learn , practice , master the art of trail braking
Go grasshopper , I mean Springer

I was using trail braking before I knew what it was , I kept on doing it when I learned it made me faster. I was kickin butt watching the guys on TT track slide right off the track ahead of me while I was almost road racing on a dirt track.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 01/15/21 at 03:42:29

I feel very fortunate that I learned to ride motorcycles in the dirt, and spent time racing motocross and hare scrambles.  Using the front and rear brake at maximum effort was a necessity if you wanted to be competitive.  I spent a lot of hours learning the basics of good braking.

When I started riding on the street I learned a few things needed to be adapted.  My dirt bike had drum brakes that were pretty crappy, and I was not able to brake hard enough with the front brake to get the rear end overly light - but on the street with a disc brake the front tire can get so much grip that the rear tire becomes really light.....and can skid easily during hard braking. When the rear tire skids you lose directonal control and the back end will swing around - this is the classic cause of the folks who claims "I had to lay her down"!  A motorcycle will stop much quicker if you keep it on the tires than it will when sliding across the pavement on it's side.  

It is necessary to use very little rear brake during hard panic stops....and most of the braking will be done with the front brake.  The front brake should not be gripped hard instantly - it needs to be squeezed progressively to allow the forks to compress and for the weight of the bike/rider to be moved forward and onto the front tire.  This entire process can be done in less than a second - but it is progressive and not just an instantaneous application......but instead is a progressive "squeeze" on the brake lever.

Rear brakes work well for normal riding in traffic or parking lots - the front brake is the tool to use when you need to stop quickly. The skill necessary is to learn how to apply the brake quick and hard without locking it up.  You should practice this skill on a regular basis, and become able to apply the front brake hard when you need it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 01/15/21 at 08:34:43

Wow Dave !

Springman not to turn this into a braking thread but I got to share this with you fellers.

I've noticed that if I'm leaning a just a little ... then loading the front wheel and braking hard ... the back wheel will try to pass the front wheel - just like trail braking .
But its more control-able, because easing off the front brake controls weather the rear follows or comes-up-beside ya.
I hope that don't sound confusing.  Huh

Heck , we'll be pitching these bikes sideways while going down strait roads  just for fun / Flat Track style !   Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #8 - 01/15/21 at 08:44:52

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I think I applied the front brake fairly smoothly but will admit that when I saw the front of the pickup my right foot did apply more pressure rather quickly. But since I never locked up the front tire, the rear tire skid was easy to control. Thanks for the advice.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 01/15/21 at 09:21:54

OK , But now I'm going to have to try it on the Savage next time I'm coming out of a low speed 90deg. to see if it will give me that adrenalin boost .   Huh

You might have created a monster !   Cool   Maybe a heard of Monsters if we all learn to do it on command   ?

Keep up the good work !   Roll Eyes

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #10 - 01/15/21 at 12:39:43

You're scaring me MM. Like I said, I've never broken the tire loose on the S40. Let me know how it turns out. Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 01/15/21 at 16:24:02

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #12 - 01/15/21 at 16:47:10

That's cool Dave. Next time we all get together you guys can do that and I'll video it. Grin

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #13 - 01/15/21 at 16:49:55

I'm just not like Oldfeller and some of you other guys. I actually scraped the right peg and my heel on a right turn today and I find it unsettling. It was a turn I have taken hundreds of times and I guess I just leaned in a bit more than normal today.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 01/15/21 at 18:49:22

After a few years of a hitting the curves around here, there is one that I have had to yank my foot out from between the left peg and engine on. Springman, if you got here from 1844, it's the first left when you hit North Fuller.
I hung the left peg in a blasted pothole doing a u turn once. Traffic was responsive and park. Nobody honked..
Took some work to fix the peg.
Scrape those pegs too hard and you're going to be replacing them.
I laced the rubber back on with wire.
The end is held precariously flimsily, so, I developed a better style, bike more upright, me, more off the saddle. Speeds through the corner went up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 13:09:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rear tire broke loose on fast U turn

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.