Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
HighFlo Quiet Muffler Details (Read 661 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: HighFlo Quiet Muffler Details
Reply #30 - 12/30/20 at 18:36:54

When it’s all finished the bung looks like this.  It works fine.  No leaks.  A little simichrome cleans up the excess JB Weld paste on the bung and polished stainless-steel.

O2_Sensor_Bung_Installed__Sealed_22.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #31 - 12/30/20 at 18:37:46

A ¼-20 stainless-steel button head screw is used to secure the other side (bottom) of the reducer to the muffler.  If an O2 sensor bung is not installed, substitute a ¼-20 stainless-steel button head screw on the top to lock the reducer to the muffler.  The joint between the reducer and muffler is sealed with JB Weld Extreme Heat paste.  Once it’s all together, it’s not advisable to try and take it apart.  You must make sure everything is right before you assemble it.  Several dry fit-ups are in order before final assembly.  Before you assemble the reducer to the muffler, make sure the adapter bushing is installed in the reducer.

This shows the ¼-20 screw installed in the bottom of the joint.

Baffle_Installed_Inlet_End_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #32 - 12/30/20 at 18:38:33

Install the baffle tube into the muffler.  As mentioned earlier, the exhaust pipe expander comes in handy to slide the baffle into the muffler and align the screw holes.

Installing_Baffle_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #33 - 12/30/20 at 18:39:25

Lock the baffle assembly in the muffler with suitable stainless-steel screws.  The screws are threaded into the adapter bushing.  Stainless-steel countersunk screws (8-32) fit just right.  Put a dab of Permatex Optimum Black or Grey sealant on the threads prior to installing the screws.  It keeps the screws from coming loose.  The Permatex Optimum grade sealants can take the heat.

Baffle_Screw2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #34 - 12/30/20 at 18:40:14

A modified Mac muffler bracket works fine.  Any similar fabrication will work.  You can make if from 1/8” steel plate or angle.  Just drill some holes and bend it to suit.  Attach the bracket to the muffler with 5” stainless-steel hose clamps.  It’s strong and looks OK.  This one has about 500 miles on it.  So far, no problems.

Modified_Mac_Bracket_12_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #35 - 12/30/20 at 18:40:59

Maybe later I will see if I can come up with a mount that can be attached to the muffler with stainless-steel pop-rivets.

Stainless_Steel_Clamps_4_5_to_5_12.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #36 - 12/30/20 at 18:42:05

The LCGP muffler looks good on the bike.  The sound is very pleasing and it’s not loud at all.  There’s measurably more power and the fuel economy has improved too.  It’s also about 8 pounds lighter than the stock muffler.   At $90 this thing provides good bang for the buck.

Mikes_HiFlow_LCGB_2_5_Muffler_2_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #37 - 12/30/20 at 20:40:01

Awesome!
Thanks for sharing your hard work!

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #38 - 12/31/20 at 15:41:07

Very interesting Mike, thanks.

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #39 - 01/02/21 at 19:35:43

Fantastic write-up,  Mike- I suppose all your tube diameters complement your large bore cylinder?   I've got a stock header and a carb jetted to a Harley muffler- all that talk about no flow being too much- were you speaking to your circumstance,  or mine?   "Unlearning" a truism, I seem to be resisting adjustment.

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #40 - 01/02/21 at 23:11:45

Very interesting Mike  It almost seems too easy and begs the question
Why aren,t all mufflers made that way?
Thanks for sharing

Hiko   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #41 - 01/03/21 at 02:04:28

Mavigogun, I did all the tests on my 94mm engine.  Once I finished up with the muffler project, I pulled the 94mm engine and installed the 97mm.  The 97mm runs great with this muffler too, but the improvement is not nearly as dramatic as it was on the 94mm.  I'm not sure why.  The two engines have different cams and exhaust ports.  The 94mm has a hotter cam and a smaller exhaust port, while the cam in the 97mm is a lot milder but the exhaust port is larger.  It could be that the bigger bore engine wants a muffler that flows more, or the smaller engine has a cam that works better with this muffler.  However, the muffler works superb on either engine.

Regarding the flow, I'm a firm believer in achieving the highest flow possible without setting up a reversion problem.  No sense installing a bunch of high performance components and then choking off the exhaust.  Big carburetors, cams, porting, air filters are all intended to move more air through the engine.  How can choking off the exhaust system help?  My best acceleration times were using a wide open cherry bomb glass pack.  It was only .04" (1mm) smaller in diameter than the header.  Street manners were just fine, not a hint of reversion.  Must not take much to break up the resonant wave. 

Hiko, many mufflers are made exactly like this one.  A good example is the Dyna muffler.  It uses a similar baffle design and absorbent material in the outer shell.  But the baffle diameter is a lot smaller and there are fewer perforations in the baffle.  These reductions are necessary to allow the muffler to meet federal standards.  Both the stock LS650 muffler and the Dyna muffler have notes stamped into their shell stating that the muffler meets a federal standard of 80 dB.  This HighFlo muffler is quiet but I don't think it meets that standard.  It is certainly quieter than any other aftermarket muffler I have heard.  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #42 - 06/09/21 at 00:43:07

Nice job Mike !   good looking on the bike too !    Cool

I'm guessing the inside dia. of the head pipe is the biggest restriction ?  

My best acceleration times were using a wide open cherry bomb glass pack.

I'll be trying out the "wide open cherry bomb" thing when the mail person gets here with it !. Smiley

« Last Edit: 06/09/21 at 07:58:48 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #43 - 06/09/21 at 11:05:03

Good luck with the wide open muffler MMRanch.  I suspect it's gonna be a bit on the loud side.  I put an additional baffle in a 1.75" cherry bomb and it took the bite right out of it.  Unfortunately, the additional baffle also brought the flow down to the same level as a Dyna muffler.  It ran good and sounded good, but just didn't have the flow I was looking for.  It's the size of the baffle.  You can only fit about a 1" baffle tube in that 1.75" muffler.

One-inch_baffle_tube_assembly2_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #44 - 06/09/21 at 11:13:19

The 1.75" muffler just doesn't have enough cross section to permit a properly sized baffle tube.  Let us know how yours works out.  Post some pictures so we can see what you come up with.  These glass pack mufflers are easy to modify and the results are well worth the effort.

CBomb_with_one-inch_baffle2_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 02:18:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HighFlo Quiet Muffler Details

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.