Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
DR 650 cam installation (Read 989 times)
nickbilljim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: DR 650 cam installation
Reply #15 - 01/23/21 at 04:34:37

I have worked out how to post images ,here is an image of my bike I am posting this because I was told my side panels could be forming an air vortex around the air filter at high speed

IMG_1151_1.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 01/23/21 at 06:14:03

That muffler will work just fine - although they are not very effective at cutting down the noise.

The side panels aren't going to cause you any problems - my RYCA side panels are very similar.

Your engine should easily rev and get up to 80mph quickly.

What is the history of the bike?  Did it run better before the recent cam/piston/carb changes?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
nickbilljim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 01/23/21 at 08:04:51

the bike is an 86 model it was imported from the U S in 96,when I got it had a Voodoo slash cut exhaust ,pod filter ,stock carb rejetted to suit mods ,it would hit about 85 mph
                    I got a 94mm piston off Lancer and a D R cam from a 1990 model ,my mechanic said he did a stage one head job lapped the valves ,increased the exhaust port to 1.5  inches before he put the new cam and piston in ,
                     with these mods it still only hit 85mph ,so I purchased a V M 38 mm carb with a size 20 pilot jet and a185 main jet the bike would hit 80 mph in 3rd gear but it did not increase in 4th so I have tried a 200 ,a 210 and a220 main jet it made no difference, next I put the new exhaust on( I now have a 200 main jet and the clip on the needle is on the top setting) the new spark plug has gone black and sooty straight away so I assumed it is running way to rich.I said to my mechanic to put a thicker needle in it but he said a smaller main jet would be better.
                       I am taking it to the mechanic monday as it is to cold here to work outside ,where should the mechanic start

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 01/23/21 at 08:54:44

Assuming the VM is new or cleaned WELL , he should start with. 22.5 pilot, 210 main jet, the clip on the 3rd or center clip groove.  Pilot screw 1.5 turns out.
If the cam timing is set correctly and the carb is CLEAN throughout, there is no reason it should not work.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 01/24/21 at 03:05:00

So we do know that the ignition system parts all worked together and are properly matched.........so a mismatch of early and later parts is not an issue.

The stock carb works well with piston/cam mods you have done, and when I made the changes there was very little need for jet changes - the engine ran very well with the new piston and cam.  The Mikuni VM carb does provide a more responsive carb - however the stock carb still allowed the engine to make good power.  The fact that both carbs have not allowed the engine to run well indicates to me it is not a carb issue).  (It does not sound to me like you are having carb issues - it should run pretty well with the standard jetting and only need a small amount of changes in jetting size).

Have you confirmed that the compression release cable is adjusted properly and not holding the exhaust valve open a tad?  You can disconnect the cable and take a test run to confirm the compression release is not the issue.  In 99 out of 100 starts the engine will start without the compression release - the starter cannot push the piston up over TDC if the piston was on the compression stroke when you pushed the starter button - most times the piston was on another stroke and the engine can spin over and start without using the compression release.  If the engine stops turning over when you push the starter button - release it, put the engine in gear, and rock it forward until the piston gets off the compression stroke.....then put the transmission in neutral and push the starter button.

IP Logged
nickbilljim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 01/26/21 at 09:25:34

I think I have found the problem my rocker arms are shot

142454143_1023092534848719_7076810487158411502_n.jpg
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #21 - 01/26/21 at 10:39:13

Oh my, that's not lookin too good NBJ.  Do you have any idea what happened?  How does the camshaft look?

Thanks for the picture.  Could you also post pics of the cam and the profile of the rocker arm pad so we can get a better feel for exactly how much of the follower pad is worn away?

You mentioned that a mechanic was doing the work for you.  What does the mechanic think happened?  You also mentioned that the DR cam was from a 1990 model.  Was it a used cam?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 01/26/21 at 12:11:44

Ouch

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 01/26/21 at 14:09:18

Yikes!

IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 01/26/21 at 16:09:00

Oil starvation? Did the rockers and cam seem dry?

IP Logged
nickbilljim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 01/27/21 at 07:31:53

the cam is shot as well ,yes it was a 2nd hand cam but  there was  plenty of oil so the oil pump is fine
                        My NEW mechanic said the case hardening on the rocker arms was probably worn thru when the old mechanic fitted the D R cam and the roughness has ground down the already worn cam.
                       So I have learnt my lesson and have ordered new parts ,when they are fitted I will send pics of the old parts

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #26 - 01/27/21 at 12:23:01

NBJ, hopefully you ordered the new version of the rocker arms.  The newest version incorporates hardened pads that are brazed on to the assembly, and the arm itself is also more robust.  Part numbers for intake & exhaust are 12840-24B10 and 12850-24B10 respectively.  I doubt that the old versions are still available but you wouldn't want to end up with someone's old stock.

This picture shows what the newer versions look like compared to an older version.

Old_vs_New_1_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #27 - 01/27/21 at 12:23:41

This shot shows the brazed pad.

Old_vs_New_2_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #28 - 01/27/21 at 12:26:52

You also might want to consider having oil holes drilled in the DR cam lobes.  The stock LS cam incorporates oiling holes in the lobes while the DR cam does not have these holes.  I have run the DR cam without holes and did not experience any problems with lubrication but I only logged about 5000 miles or so.  

This shows one of the holes.

Stock_Cam_Oiling_12.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
nickbilljim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 01/28/21 at 03:29:28

I had the holes drilled into my D R cam before it was fitted and here is the rocker I have ordered if it is the old stock it is to late as I ordered yesterday and paid for it

armvalve-rockerintake_big1284037401-02_94c5.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 12:24:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DR 650 cam installation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.