Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
DR 650 cam installation (Read 989 times)
nickbilljim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

DR 650 cam installation
12/27/20 at 04:46:04

I managed to get an early DR 650 cam ,my mechanic fitted it and used the LS 650 spec sheet to fit it.Is this correct or should it have been fitted to the DR 650 spec sheet (is there any difference)? I managed to find a tachometer and found that my 4 gear 1986 bike struggled to hit 6000 R P M  in third and struggled to hit 80 M P H in 4th gear  ,I have a Wiseco piston from lancer a V M 38 carb, ported  exhaust port .Have I done something wrong it used to go faster as standard(I read something about advancing and retarding the cam timings might help.Any advice would be appreciated

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: DR 650 cam installation
Reply #1 - 12/27/20 at 07:58:49

For the relatively simple LS650, all you do is line up the mark on the end of the cam to the top of the cylinder head at TDC - it is not rocket science.

With the Wiseco and DR650 cam, you should have noticeably more power than the stock piston and cam.

Do you have the ability/equipment to do a compression test?

CamTiming.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
nickbilljim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/27/20 at 08:49:41

no but I know a man who does

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 12/28/20 at 21:45:37

The OEM DR650 cam runs just fine when set at the factory marks.  There's no need to try and advance or retard the cam.

Check your carburetor and make sure the slide is lifting all the way when the throttle is wide open.

Verify that your oil level is correct.  Make sure it's not over-filled.

The compression check is a good recommendation.  Make sure the throttle is wide open when you check the compression.  If your cranking pressure is below 190 psi verify that your valve adjustment is not too tight.

Did you make any other changes when the cam was installed?  A different air filter, exhaust system, etc.?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
nickbilljim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/29/20 at 06:36:09

Hi thanks for your advice I am no mechanic but the mechanic who did the work said he had lapped the valves  and (stage one job on the head) and enlarged the exhaust port to 1.5 inches, I have a spongy type air filter straight onto the V M 38 carb with size 20 pilot and 210 main I have a Wiseco 94 mm high comp  piston my exhaust is a 18 inch reverse cone  with baffles .I have a compression tester on order I hope the compression test is O K because the mechanic who put the cam in also did the piston

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/29/20 at 18:52:26

There are tons of ever so cool looking air filters that also manage to block air into certain parts of the carb, creating all kinds of issues.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nickbilljim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 12/30/20 at 01:02:49

what air filter do you recommend ?,I tried without an air filter and it did not make a difference

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 12/30/20 at 01:32:19

With the mods that you've done it should run noticeably better than stock.  Lots better.  You said it ran better before the mods.  Was that with the reverse cone muffler?

Your main jet is in the ballpark.  You proved the air filter isn't chocking off your WOT performance when you did the quick & dirty check (ran without filter).

If your compression checks out good then you probably should check cam timing.  That requires removal of the head cover.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
nickbilljim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 12/31/20 at 07:04:59

thanks for all your help I have a compression tester coming on the 6th of Jan ,I know my bike was running very rich because the plug was black so I changed the main jet from 220 down to a 210 also the clip on my needle was on the second from the top (as recommended in the technical section) I have moved my clip up to its highest setting) but it is still running rich, I think I need a  bigger needle. At the moment I am getting less than 40 M P G ,would running very rich account for the lack of power at higher R P M ,Again thanks for all your help

IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/31/20 at 08:56:08

Years back, I did a top end rebuild on a 305 Honda. After I was done it ran like crap and very rich. It turned out I had the valve timing one tooth off.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 12/31/20 at 09:36:45

If the cam timing is off, or if there is low compression - you could be down on power and the spark plug could be black and sooty.

There are a lot of things that could be wrong......it might even be as simple as an improperly adjusted compression release.

A diagnosis and repair requires looking to find the cause.

I would start with a compression test - and if that proves acceptable I would then confirm the cam timing is correct.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 12/31/20 at 09:49:32

Remember when doing the compression test that you must disable/disconnect the compression release cable and hold the throttle wide open.

I assume this will be a leak-down compression test and not just a psi test. One is diagnostic and the other is nice information, but doesn’t lead to conclusions.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
nickbilljim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/22/21 at 05:56:23

the weather finally warmed up enough to do compression test and it is good news ,with the engine warmed up I got a reading around the 200 psi mark ,so compression is not the problem ( but the bike still will not go past 80mph)what else could it be?.Thanks Nick

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 01/22/21 at 22:53:10

So now you have confirmed that the compression is where it should be.  With that DR650 cam and Wiseco pop-top, 200 psi is right on.  

You ran it without an air filter so you proved that the foam filter you are using isn't restricting air flow.  I assume that the performance did not improve with the filter removed.

Did you verify that the carburetor slide is opening all the way (as previously suggested)?  The VM38 you are running requires a lot of twist grip to fully open.  Look in that carb and make sure the slide opens all the way.

The 210 main jet is pretty close to where you need to be with that combination of parts.  What can you tell us about your "18" reverse cone with baffles"?  Where did you get it?  Who manufactures it?  What sort of baffles?  Post some pictures.  Take the baffles out and take pictures so we can see what you've got.  Might be a case of constipation.  Your bike should run well north of 95 mph with those engine mods.

You mentioned that your bike "struggled to hit 6000 rpm in 3rd" and your comments about fuel consumption imply that its rich .  You can try leaning it out with a smaller main jet but you must be careful not to run it lean in the upper gears (3rd & 4th).  Tell us more about your VM38.  Where did you get it?  What needle jet is in there?  What slide needle?  You should have a 166-Q2 needle jet and a 6DP1 slide needle.

Is there any chance that your alternator rotor was replaced with one from a newer LS650?  Verslagen had some trouble with that.  I believe he had installed an older rotor on a newer bike which resulted in grossly advanced timing and high speed misfire.  If I got that right, then a newer rotor on your older bike would result in grossly retarded ignition timing.

As previously mentioned, if all the above checks out you will need verify your cam timing.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
nickbilljim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/23/21 at 03:51:27

thanks for all the advice ,I am having trouble uploading images but here is the E mail address of the  exhaust           https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17-5-Universal-Reverse-Cone-Silencer-Megaphone-sho...

I have my bike booked into the local bike mechanic on monday so I will tell him all the advice you have given me ,I will let you know the result ,thanks again

s-l1600_008.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/16/24 at 05:51:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DR 650 cam installation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.