Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Choke inadvertently Left On (Read 76 times)
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Choke inadvertently Left On
12/22/20 at 06:30:19

This is going to sound dumb I'm afraid...

The weather warmed up some here so I took the bike out. I think the last time I rode I engaged the choke when starting and just went up the street and back. I usually don't when starting, but it didn't crank initially, so I pulled the choked and that seemed to help. I must have left to choke on...

Back to yesterday...After riding for a while, I thought something wasn't right, but had no idea what or why. I pulled over and looked over everything is recently worked on and it all seemed ok. While looking over everything I saw the choke and remembered recently pulling it to crank on the previous ride...an ah-ha moment.

Now I'm wondering how I was able to ride several miles with the choke engaged with minimal performance impact. I've put off rejetting the carb, and trying the think through lean/rich, where it is now, and where it should be...

At this point I'm rambling. Thoughts?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Choke inadvertently Left On
Reply #1 - 12/22/20 at 07:05:25

Once you crack the throttle just past idle, the choke (enrichment) circuit is mostly bypassed and has little effect (but some) until the throttle is returned to idle.  Worst case is that the engine will run a little richer than normal.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Slowlane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/22/20 at 07:18:38

2009 S40
Took a 3 mile ride yesterday after rebuilding carb.  It ran rather poorly...idled fine...just week with very little acceleration.
Just read your post and went out and found my choke 1/2 out.  Thanks!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/22/20 at 19:16:48

I use my bike for commuting A LOT.   I use the choke for every cold start (first start of the day or any time the bike has sat for more than a few hours). As soon as if fires I move it to the half-choke position and start riding.  I will run it on half choke until it warms up  (anywhere from 1/2 for warmer weather up to 5 miles when it's below 40*).  The only exception to this is the occasional 80+ degree afternoon ride home.  No choke needed then.

It is normal for a properly running engine to need a choke.  Every car you have ever driven had an enrichment system for this purpose.  As a matter of fact, NOT needing the choke on a cold start is an indicator of overly rich jetting.

IP Logged
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Reply #4 - 12/23/20 at 12:55:44

Thanks All,

This was the info I was looking for. I think it is running rich, and hopefully my first rejet goes well, and I can get it running smoothly.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 15:41:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Choke inadvertently Left On

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.