Honda Rebel 1100 (Read 479 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Honda Rebel 1100
Reply #15 - 12/03/20 at 09:36:08

I have a nice heated garage up here and good lighting - if you want to load the bike in your truck and bring it up here we can "Gut the Guzzi" and get that clutch fixed.....the clutch is not working right and needs to be fixed if you want me to ever ride it again!  

Wow Dave !    

Its not safe either , a combination of stiff clutch , tired hands , and sharp low-speed maneuvering on down-hill slopes is dangerous !  especially ridding double !    Undecided

Now its going to be REALLY HARD to pull it apart in a cold shop while thinking of a nice HEATED GARAGE !    Tongue

Hay , is there a Guzzi dealer "not to far away" to get parts from (if need be) ?    Its not so far that I couldn't come home for a week while waiting on parts .
I'll bounce the idea off Marcia to see how she feels about being without her cook for a few days ?  
In the winter I can only be gone for four days without getting somebody to put-out hay for me , they like it fresh out of the barn more than I like going looking for my cows  Roll Eyes , you know the fence is not what really  keeps them home.   Grin

I'm wondering if we should get another thread ?   Thanks for the loan Springman !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #16 - 12/03/20 at 13:24:33

Honda has always built great bikes and I’m sure the Rebel is too. And I wasn’t really liking the looks till I saw one at the dealer , me and the salesman lookin at a 500 then he asked me “ so what do you think” and with a huge grin I told him “ it’s uglier than the pics , it looks worse up close. We laughed he told me he thought it wouldn’t sell cause of it looks but he said once you ride it you’ll like it and told me they sell fast and then offered a test ride and I promptly said no ,laughing.

Fugly , Fugly , Fugly

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #17 - 12/03/20 at 15:21:05

Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #18 - 12/03/20 at 17:09:16

Why can't they let it have some "Shinny" to it ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 12/03/20 at 18:19:06

MM:

Cadre Cycle is close by and is a Guzzi dealer.  I am not sure how well they are stocked up on clutch related parts.

You could call them and see what they have to say:
https://cadrecycle.com/

I looked a bit on the internet and I could not find any reports of your issue being common with the Guzzi.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #20 - 12/03/20 at 20:02:34

Shiny = $$
They trying to keep costs down to increase profits !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #21 - 12/04/20 at 00:14:53

I've never understood 'marketing' , but if a dealer had a new CB350 standing next to a Rebel 300/500, I think I can guess which one would sell first.  Put the Rebel 300/500/1100 engine in that CB350 type frame and watch them fly out the door!
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #22 - 12/04/20 at 07:11:35

yea , what Zip said !  Wink

I'd buy a 500/650cc version of the old air cooled 250 Rebel on sight.  Seems like 45-55 Hp is enough for any thing I ever want to do.   The styling on the CB350 pushes all the right buttons for me too --- but the 21Hp. just don't seem like enough for American roads.  
The Suzuki TU250 is another one that tickles my eye-balls and makes me wonder "where is the 500cc version of this".  
My LS-650 looks better all the time ... but that dern little-bitty fuel tank leaves me looking for better , Heck - you can't have a real adventure very far from home on 2.7 gallons .   Roll Eyes

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #23 - 12/04/20 at 08:03:17

You know what the solution is. We need to start our own motorcycle manufacturing company, Savage U.S.A., Ltd.  Cool

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #24 - 12/04/20 at 10:59:24

What I don't like about most of the newer bikes is the lack of easy access to maintenance stuff. Back in the late 60's there was so much more open space around the engine. Carb work, points (glad they're gone), air filter, oil changes, valve adjustment were all right there and available without have to remove a bunch of other stuff. On my old Ducati 250, all this stuff just hung out in the open.

I need to do a valve adjustment on my '98 Kaw Vulcan 800. However, it entails removing the gas tank, removing a big air intake plenum under the tank, moving fuel and air injection lines, removing the choke control from its mount on the frame, finessing the rear rocker cover out from under the frame where it only comes out one way after wiggling it past about 3 other things. I'm getting old with a bad back and knees, and I can't get my bifocals to focus on what I need to see. It just makes me tired to even think about it.

This is on a '98. From the pic of that Rebel 1100, it looks 10 times worse to work on it.

Thanks for letting me rant.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #25 - 12/04/20 at 13:40:04

OK ,

Cool

I understand .  I think ?  

My nephew who bought a GSX-R 750 had a similar problem of not seeing problems before he bought it.   Problem was too much HP. for too little weight.    That led to legal problems .  Roll Eyes

How about a push-rod motor from the time when HEI was High-Tec.   What would that be ?   Huh

oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #26 - 12/04/20 at 16:23:51

I may be an oddball but I'm kind of intrigued by the new Rebel. Almost 90 fewer pounds than my 883 Sportster, and almost 30 more HP. Looking at the specs, the Honda is close to the same size as a Sportster too. That's one of the things that I've always liked about Sportster's. They are  actually pretty small motorcycles.

I don't even think the Honda is all that ugly either. At least as long as I only had to look at the left side. That muffler though !! I mean, come on Honda, it's a parallel twin. How about a pair of nice slim pipes, one on each side of the bike. If they were black like everything else you'd hardly notice them!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #27 - 12/05/20 at 06:42:05

I'm not a cruiser guy, but it looks ok for a cruiser. They'll sell a ton of them.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #28 - 12/06/20 at 09:25:20

I kinda like this thing.  The style is "unusual" but it looks to be totally functional.  Nice comfy seat position.  Pegs in just the right place.  Bars just the right height & width.  Suspension looks like it will probably be top notch.  An exhaust system that places function over style.

I googled it.  It uses the basic Africa engine with a few changes.  Has a 270 degree crank so it's gonna have that potato potato thump thump.  Uses a different cam grind for each cylinder, one side optimizes power below 4000 rpm, the other side optimizes power above 4000 rpm.  It has three levels of wheelie control (guess it makes some good power).

A modern cruiser/standard, function over form.  Cool.  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #29 - 12/06/20 at 11:42:02

All fine and good !  But why did they have to make it so UGLY ?  Huh

So

If both cylinders are not pulling the same , then there would be uneven wear and a slight vibration.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 07:19:51

General CategoryThe Cafe › Honda Rebel 1100

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.