replacement bolts... (Read 158 times)
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: replacement bolts...
Reply #15 - 11/30/20 at 13:03:14

Hiko wrote on 11/29/20 at 19:26:07:
Zepp wrote on 11/29/20 at 09:12:08:
In any case, there are a lot of bolts and nuts!

I dont know about nuts that are 12.9.. my 1,5 years at universety says that its the nut that should get broken befor the bolt!
Its probably some sort of enginering kind of best solution, in moste case?

And for god sake, dont even ask my about the values and how to understand them, it was 20 years ago I was study and Im now going to be retired sooon!

I have been retired for a long time now and spent all my working life in the engineering game I have seen a lot of broken bolts but cant recall seeing a broken nut  I had a university type ask me to test some bolts and nuts to destruction for him one time
He wanted to know at what point the threads would strip.
He was most surprised when the bolts snapped every time which in my experience is usually the case with properly sized bolts and nuts.

Applied mecanics was not my best subject. Embarrassed
In any case I was not studying to be a full enginer, but have to read about basics, and the words that i got is that ordany nuts are small and have not that many treads, they supose to go befor the bolt it self.

In other cases, like bolts that conect the head to the block, preferely on car engines, there are full lenght treads, and one often have to replace those bolts everytime becuse one often have strengthen the bolt alredy.. to some limits.

In anyway, I got my degree!

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 11/30/20 at 13:29:05

verslagen1 wrote on 11/29/20 at 19:56:12:
in tension or torque?

Are you using this 8,8 and 12,9 markings in US for bolts?

In anyway, the first digit is some Newton force per square millimeter to break it, the other digit is Newtons to prolong it, whitout going back!

However, there are no strenght to consider on bolts that holds engin covers, cowlings and heatshields.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 11/30/20 at 16:31:52

verslagen1 wrote on 11/30/20 at 05:50:28:
Our bolt fail when being torqued so it's a different issue... usually.

Most of the engine head cover and side cover bolts thread into aluminum - so the limiting factor on torque is often the aluminum!  The torque value on these is very low - so you can substitute stainless for the original bolts with no issues.....don't overtorque either type!

I also have no problem using stainless on body or seat fasteners, or other places where little Doo-Dads are hung on the bike.  In those places like axles, swing arms, footpegs, brake calipers, forks and handlebars are located.......I don't feel comfortable replacing those bolts with hardware store parts.

I have a lot of stainless fasteners on my bikes.....including the original body fasteners on the BMW's - you don't need a lot of strength to hold on sheet metal or plastic.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 13:02:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › replacement bolts...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.