Send Topic Print
replacement bolts... (Read 158 times)
chimmu
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

replacement bolts...
11/26/20 at 19:18:00

I recently bought a used 2015 S40 which has some bolts oxidized and some rusted. The bike was parked outside/outdoors for some time I believe.  
Is there an easy way to order many of bolts which can be replaced on the bike?  or even a list of them based on the section of the bike.  Thanks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: replacement bolts...
Reply #1 - 11/26/20 at 22:33:48

There is no kit that I know of, replacement bolts can be bought from oem suppliers such as bikebandit or the like.
engine bolt kits can be found on fleabay.

WWW   IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #2 - 11/27/20 at 08:14:59

I have replaced many of the bolts on my 2014 with SS socket head bolts.
I did it a few at a time. Much nicer, no more rust. The bolts are widely available at hardware stores.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
chimmu
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/27/20 at 19:29:05

thanks!  will find them locally and replace some at a time..

<update>
Actually I was searching online and I came across the OEM parts section at Revzilla where you can find the exact bolt/nut replacements.

https://www.revzilla.com/oem/suzuki/2015-suzuki-s40-boulevard

« Last Edit: 11/27/20 at 22:59:54 by chimmu »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 11/28/20 at 03:05:03

chimmu wrote on 11/27/20 at 19:29:05:
Actually I was searching online and I came across the OEM parts section at Revzilla where you can find the exact bolt/nut replacements.

While that may seem like a good idea - you will find that stock replacement hardware is pretty expensive.

Also the current Covid affair is making it very difficult to get any OEM parts online.  The online dealers don't stock Suzuki parts - they order parts from their supplier and send them to you.  Earlier this year I tried to order the plastic stone guards that are on top of the forks.  My forks were apart and waiting for them to arrive.  After 2 months of waiting I was lucky that our member Ruttly had some and I bought them from him and cancelled my online order.

On November 3rd I ordered a few Suzuki bolts and a couple oil seals for the compression release shaft on the Suzuki Savage.   Every few days I get an email from the seller telling me that there has been a delay and the parts have not yet shipped.

If/when you go online and the parts list shows the in stock - that doesn't really mean the seller has it sitting on a shelf waiting for you to buy it from them.......I believe it only means that the part is available from the supplier.

So - my suggestion is that you buy replacement nuts/bolts from you local hardware store when they are available - and only order them from Suzuki when they are specific bolts/nuts for a special application.

I bought this stainless engine bolt set off eBay, and it is nice and works great.  When you install the engine bolts - be very careful not to over tighten them.  The aluminum threads in the engine block are easily stripped if you apply too much torque.  Use a small torque wrench that measures in inch pounds.....don't attempt to use a 150 ft/lb torque wrench set to a low setting - as they just aren't accurate at those low settings.  (If you don't have a torque wrench use one hand on a 3/8" ratchet with the palm of your hand near the head of the ratchet).    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/28/20 at 05:37:57

chimmu wrote on 11/26/20 at 19:18:00:
I recently bought a used 2015 S40 which has some bolts oxidized and some rusted. The bike was parked outside/outdoors for some time I believe.  
Is there an easy way to order many of bolts which can be replaced on the bike?  or even a list of them based on the section of the bike.  Thanks.

Its this, Im a milimeter guy, living in Sweden.. and to that im working at a car making suplier, I have all sorts of bolts in my garage, and could get some more if needed.

In any case, I prefer Allen head bolts.. to that I can buy stainless on my local hardware shop if i like!

But this is in Europe,, an easy task.

At last, im a workshop guy, know a bit of milimeter, UNC/UNF, whitworth, any other bolts and treads!

In any case, go to a local hardware shop, and buy better/often cheaper bolts.. and if you like Allen heads and/or stainles, what ever!

In anyway one dont like rusty bolt heads, change them, first as it look awful on a bike, for the other, could it be rusty inside of the aluminium casings.. perticaly if there is on the engin!

The thing is, that original bolts is the cheapest for manufactories to buy, but is expensive to buy as spare parts!

The only bolts that is importante to buy as spareparts is head bolts, or other bolts that conect moving parts, or bearing bolts!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 11/28/20 at 05:48:11

Also know that stainless steel fasteners are more brittle than what you currently have on your bike. For that reason they shouldn’t be used to support a heavy load in sheer. The engine/frame through bolts come to mind.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/28/20 at 07:09:55

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 11/28/20 at 05:48:11:
Also know that stainless steel fasteners are more brittle than what you currently have on your bike. For that reason they shouldn’t be used to support a heavy load in sheer. The engine/frame through bolts come to mind.

And as I is a workshop guy with a minor university examina on mecanical engenering, I have to coment this.. you got it almoste right.

Its this, stanless steal have different behavings, it could be  ferro or martensit or Austenitic, dont get in to this.. its a jungle!

But there are some comon isues, its not brital at first, but could get brittle if ounder tensil strench.

In any case, I think those bolts cald stainless is acid stainless steel?
Then I think that is Austenitic stainless steel?

Its better to sustain acids and not get rusty, in a very acid invoronment, or outside in winter?

But carbon steel is better as fastening, perticaly for parts that need hard fastening.. and they dont get brittle that fast!

Hope that my 1,5 years of universety study could could have make me to made some understandble ansver?

And dont even ask about ferrit, martensit and austenitic stanless steel!

Its Austenitic steel in those bolts you byu in a major hardware shop!

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #8 - 11/28/20 at 18:05:06

I would definitely change the head to header bolts with studs and dome nuts
rusty or not.

Hiko   IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/29/20 at 09:12:08

In any case, there are a lot of bolts and nuts!
The major parts are 8.8 and 12.9!
Its a EU standard, in US it could be some other value?
in any other case,, its international standard based on kilogram!
8.8 says, the first number tells about the force to break it, the other number tells about the force to prolonge it!
8.8 is often blank and coated whit zink.
12.9 is often black no zink coating, they are for extra endurance, often internaly in engins or similar conditions!

I dont know about nuts that are 12.9.. my 1,5 years at universety says that its the nut that should get broken befor the bolt!
Its probably some sort of enginering kind of best solution, in moste case?

And for god sake, dont even ask my about the values and how to understand them, it was 20 years ago I was study and Im now going to be retired sooon!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 11/29/20 at 18:32:27

I buy bolts from Longview bolt and screw.
Hardware stores are expensive.
Someone Sells to the hardware stores
That's where I go

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #11 - 11/29/20 at 19:26:07

Zepp wrote on 11/29/20 at 09:12:08:
In any case, there are a lot of bolts and nuts!

I dont know about nuts that are 12.9.. my 1,5 years at universety says that its the nut that should get broken befor the bolt!
Its probably some sort of enginering kind of best solution, in moste case?

And for god sake, dont even ask my about the values and how to understand them, it was 20 years ago I was study and Im now going to be retired sooon!

I have been retired for a long time now and spent all my working life in the engineering game I have seen a lot of broken bolts but cant recall seeing a broken nut  I had a university type ask me to test some bolts and nuts to destruction for him one time
He wanted to know at what point the threads would strip.
He was most surprised when the bolts snapped every time which in my experience is usually the case with properly sized bolts and nuts.

Hiko   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 11/29/20 at 19:56:12

in tension or torque?

WWW   IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #13 - 11/29/20 at 22:37:32

Good question  The bolts and nuts were put in tension  with a hydraulic ram as that was the expected load condition

The end use was for a wharf construction and from memory were around
3/4 inch diameter

Hiko   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 11/30/20 at 05:50:28

Our bolt fail when being torqued so it's a different issue... usually.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 15:47:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › replacement bolts...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.