Send Topic Print
Famous oil leak? (Read 85 times)
dn1198
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Famous oil leak?
11/19/20 at 06:25:20

New rider here. Purchased a 1996 Savage this summer. Last few rides I've noticed the oil is leaking from what appears to be the right side of the cam(?) and pooling on the left side due to gravity after being put on the kickstand. I have very little knowledge regarding cars/motors/bikes but am an avid learner.

I've seen the step by step tutorial on this site regarding replacing the faulty valve. My concern is as a new rider with very little motor experience is there a possibility of damaging the engine to the point where the bike is not able to be ridden if I follow the tutorial? The last thing I want to do is try to fix it on my own and then damage the bike to the point where I can't ride it anymore. Would it be smarter to shell out the money to have someone who knows what they're doing fix it for me instead?

I've included a picture as well in hopes to confirm that it is the famous oil leak.

20201108_120325.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Famous oil leak?
Reply #1 - 11/19/20 at 07:19:13

Most likely the head plug leak.
Look on the left side of the header, you can see the head bolt.
If it's wet, then that's it.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1099227295

WWW   IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/19/20 at 09:06:56

dn1198 wrote on 11/19/20 at 06:25:20:
New rider here. Purchased a 1996 Savage this summer. Last few rides I've noticed the oil is leaking from what appears to be the right side of the cam(?) and pooling on the left side due to gravity after being put on the kickstand. I have very little knowledge regarding cars/motors/bikes but am an avid learner.

I've seen the step by step tutorial on this site regarding replacing the faulty valve. My concern is as a new rider with very little motor experience is there a possibility of damaging the engine to the point where the bike is not able to be ridden if I follow the tutorial? The last thing I want to do is try to fix it on my own and then damage the bike to the point where I can't ride it anymore. Would it be smarter to shell out the money to have someone who knows what they're doing fix it for me instead?

I've included a picture as well in hopes to confirm that it is the famous oil leak.

Soo, now we are two anyway.
Its a comon problem I understand (not that comon)  by this forum.. and not that big thing.. if I understand som Gurus on Savage.

First I thougt it was the head gasket, but then they (The Gurus) talks about a leaking plug.

https://postimg.cc/gnhvxzbr

IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/20/20 at 12:53:49

I had a leak around the nut in the picture. Tightening up the nut, cleaning the area, and applying high temp sealant to the area fixed it.

savage_oil_leak.jpg
  IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/20/20 at 17:04:26

ckahleer wrote on 11/20/20 at 12:53:49:
I had a leak around the nut in the picture. Tightening up the nut, cleaning the area, and applying high temp sealant to the area fixed it.

Thanks.. im juste got the Clymer manual!
And I know there some bolts and nuts.
In some place  in my garage I have an torquewrench.. if I can find it.. otherwise I buy my another one.
In anycase it have this kind of oil leak when I bout it, mayby this I got it that cheap?
In any othere case, its a very, very low milage 2000 Savage, and I wont to get rid of the seams to oil lekage.. if there is any.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 20:17:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Famous oil leak?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.