Send Topic Print
Herd immunity (Read 65 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Herd immunity
11/06/20 at 06:02:55

This is why I like to use real information and not social media garbage to proclaim "herd immunity".

Spain has herd immunity I was told months ago.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54682222

"Look at Sweden, they don't have a coronavirus issue!" I was told over and over.

If only epidemiologists weren't all liars and every news source, except the one you use, wasn't completely wrong and all medical centers worldwide weren't fabricating patient numbers and staging photos, death certificates, funerals, and social media accounts of relatives at those funerals.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/11/04/coronavirus-sweden-introduces-new-restric...

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Herd immunity
Reply #1 - 11/06/20 at 07:10:49

I work for a Swedish company. Usually, I go there once a year at least. But still, I talk to Swedish people every week. They did not institute hard lockdowns like other places and they did not shut schools down and their economy was not wrecked. They fared much better than many other nations. Yes it’s true their numbers are increasing now along with everyone else’s, but the policies they followed leave them in a better place today. And the people I know in Sweden will tell you many of the cases are in neighborhoods where recent immigrants live. Before you shallow minded bigot’s get all jacked up, science doesn’t care about your political persuasion. Some Cultures live differently than other cultures. They socialize in larger groups far more commonly than the native Swedes. That’s a simple fact and it has consequences.

However, the final story on COVID-19 has not been written yet. There are just too many unknown variables at this point to say who did or who didn’t make the correct choices. The average level of health of the average citizen in Sweden is far better than the average level of health of the average American. Additionally, Swedes have smaller families and generally speaking live more isolated than people in many other countries do.

Also, comparing statistics around the world as if they are accumulated the same is ridiculous. No one believes China’s cases actually fell that dramatically months ago. There’s no way to get accurate information from India or Brazil or other Third World countries. The flipside is also true, in the US some states list COVID-19 as the cause of death even if there was no evidence that COVID-19 played a role.

And the idea that Joe Biden is going to “get a handle on this pandemic“ is preposterous. He’s not going to do anything different any other president would have done. He can talk about a national mask mandate all he wants but the truth is 80% of people wear mask in public places today. A mask mandate isn’t going to accomplish anything other than leave people with a false sense of security which could actually increase cases.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/06/20 at 07:21:13

I agree about the social structure and interaction differences of Sweden.

I do not agree that Sweden is an analogue for the US and as such because they fared better, at first, that is "proof" that lockdowns don't work.  Don't tell me Sweden is why we shouldn't wear masks.  Don't tell me Spain reached herd immunity with no evidence then conveniently ignore what's happening now.

Some Swedish medical centers are over-capacity, the very thing we are trying to prevent.  They are implementing stricter social protocols based off of those medical center usages - the same thing we do in CO.  So where is that Sweden argument now?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 11/06/20 at 07:46:42

Nobody claims masks and distancing are a cure.
The purpose is to reduce the burden on our medical system until we have a vaccine or the virus mutates into a less severe infection.
Less infections, less deaths are a good thing.  
Not a cure,.. but it will save some lives.

Lowering the infection rate is also good for the economy and jobs.
Opening up and taking precautions are not mutually exclusive plans... in fact, they are tandem.
Security and safety will create commerce.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #4 - 11/06/20 at 07:57:49

It's called a 'novel' coronavirus for a few reasons. One of them being that precisely how it works is an unknown quantity. It's less deadly than MERS, but is confusingly very highly contagious and more deadly than other corona viruses. It's an unknown quantity for long term effects and there's nothing anyone can do to improve that unknown until time has passed.

Therefore to acquiesce to a large percentage of the population to be allowed to become infected, is utter and complete madness. Which is why something like this should be in the hands of the actual genuine top world experts. Even if they get something wrong, which they are bound to do, it will be less wrong and err more on the side of caution than people who are not at the bleeding edge of technology.

Which is why the suggestion of firing Fauci should no more be in the hands of Trump or any president for that matter than whether to press the nuclear button is. I mean if Trump who supposedly does have the unilateral power to press the MAD button out of a fit of pique, did so, I do not believe the military would obey.

At the moment there is much behind the scenes work with DNA sequencing to monitor mutations and how exactly it spreads and behaves. Surely the massive Trump rally's would provide valuable information with this regard. This is actually an experiment if done by the scientists would be deemed unethical and not allowed. So we should thank Trump's supporters to willingly give their lives in the name of science.

Also note there has not been "three waves" in the USA there has only been one single wave. Note that the peak of the so called 'first wave' is lower than the trough between the so called '2nd and 3rd waves'.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #5 - 11/06/20 at 08:25:16

In Australia it was all going well then there was a large breakout in Melbourne, in the State of Victoria. Our States cover very large areas here, and our constitution specifies open borders. That was recently tested in the High Court of Australia, which is the ultimate court against a suit brought by mining magnate and all around fat wheezing greedy pig Clive Palmer, and the High Court not only reaffirmed the right of the States to close their borders if they deem that necessary in this circumstance, but they also ordered Palmer to pay ALL the costs of ALL the States who joined the suit.

So Melbourne went into a second lockdown that was very severe and there were some very angry protests, but the upshot was the outbreak was quickly snuffed out.

So there are lessons to be learned if the US wants to learn those lessons and has the political will to use the power of the national guard and/or military to enforce their rules rather than use this power to stop a peaceful protest.

More on Clive Palmer if anyone is interested...

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/06/20 at 10:06:09

Eegore wrote on 11/06/20 at 07:21:13:
 I agree about the social structure and interaction differences of Sweden.

I do not agree that Sweden is an analogue for the US and as such because they fared better, at first, that is "proof" that lockdowns don't work.  Don't tell me Sweden is why we shouldn't wear masks.  Don't tell me Spain reached herd immunity with no evidence then conveniently ignore what's happening now.

Some Swedish medical centers are over-capacity, the very thing we are trying to prevent.  They are implementing stricter social protocols based off of those medical center usages - the same thing we do in CO.  So where is that Sweden argument now?

It seems you, very uncharacteristically, did not read what I wrote.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/06/20 at 10:15:48

"It seems you, very uncharacteristically, did not read what I wrote."

I did.  My response to you specifically was this part:

"I agree about the social structure and interaction differences of Sweden."

The rest is not directed towards your response, I was not clear on that.  I would say we are thinking the same regarding Sweden as a comparative tool for the US.  

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/06/20 at 10:17:22

You are really a decent fellow. What the hell are you doing on here?

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/06/20 at 10:22:11

But, from a big picture point  of you, if you were to judge from the beginning of the pandemic to now, Sweden has absolutely done a better job in the US. However, it very well could be the general health of the people and the cultural behaviors account for that. No one really knows what was the best formula to follow. I’m not sure Trump could’ve done anything different than he did. The US is full of an an awful lot of fat, diabetic, unhealthy, old people.

China fxxked us and everyone else in the world.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/06/20 at 10:26:52

If I communicate in a vacuum I won't learn anything.

It's particularly dangerous to hang out in areas where people repeat how right they are about everything to each other all day.  So this forum is part of a small group I communicate in to see differences of opinion, backgrounds, viewpoints etc.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/06/20 at 11:51:09

"No one really knows what was the best formula to follow. I’m not sure Trump could’ve done anything different than he did. The US is full of an an awful lot of fat, diabetic, unhealthy, old people."

Indeed.  We have a ton of co-morbidity factors in the US, and an apprehension to healthcare in a lot of cases, some due to cost, some just don't like going to a doctor.

What's interesting to me is that if nothing ever happened in Sweden, or Spain this would be brought up for years, but since the predicted increase in cases and medical center loads has happened, well now we are expected to just ignore that part and downplay the fact that this was supposed to be "proof".  

What's wrong with compromise?  What's wrong with acknowledging that nobody knows exactly what to do and how they will react to something that has never happened to them before?  

Biden would do no better than trump in actual policy implementation in my opinion, however I do feel that just about anyone would do better than Trump in the press/PR components.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/06/20 at 12:53:22

however I do feel that just about anyone would do better than Trump in the press/PR components.

That deserves a “ no kidding Captain Obvious!”

Which is why the recent comments by the d!ckweed of a Philadelphia mayor don’t pi$d me off very much. If you’re going to live by the sword and the sword is what kills you then you go to die by the sword. Trump had called all kinds of people worse than that so in my mind Trump deserves that.

By the same token, that little girl Kamala Harris, deserves every little bit of scorn she gets about screwing her way to the top after what she did to Kavanaugh. normally, I don’t feel like it’s fair to put that label on women because men do the same thing and don’t face that attack, but in her case, an exception is deserved.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 02:25:30

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Herd immunity

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.