Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
traffic runs 85+ mph. What to upgrade? (Read 209 times)
Gary RVA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

traffic runs 85+ mph. What to upgrade?
11/05/20 at 00:56:19

Cheyenne Wyoming (6250ft)  sets at the intersection of I25 and I80, traffic flows at 85+mph in the right lanes on both. To get to good two lane riding roads require 50-100 miles on these highways.

To feel "safe" on two wheels, the bike needs to be able pull 90 mph just to be able to maneuver in the traffic. (Not that I want to cruise over 70mph).

The question is, what can (should)  be done to upgrade my 1998 Savage to run 70-90 mph in traffic? Without breaking the bank, not trying to build a racer, just fast enough to get out of its own way...
About 4-5 month before 2021 riding season, time to start working on it.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re:  traffic runs 85+ mph. What to upgrade?
Reply #1 - 11/05/20 at 04:02:33

You need a more capable bike. The Savage will never be a good 80+ mph bike.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 11/05/20 at 04:10:49

You should buy a pickup truck and/or trailer to get your bike to the riding areas.! Wink

The Savage in stock form is only 30 HP, and the top speed is just about what you are hoping to ride at for 50-100 miles.  It really won't do that very well, as it will be running at a very high rpm where a big single cylinder doesn't like to be......and it uses a lot of oil when running like that.  At 80 mph on a stock bike you will be running around 5,300 rpm at 80 mph.  

If you installed a 97mm Wiseco, a performance cam, did some work to the ports, installed a better exhaust, did the double Kawasaki Pulley conversion, installed a 140/90-15 rear tire - you could pull taller gearing and probably get the rpm down to 4,000 rpm at 70 mph.....around 4,500 rpm at 80 mph.  You will likely spend $1,500 or more getting this done, and it will require you to tear down the top end of your bike to make the engine changes.  (You can substitute a chain conversion for the double Kawasaki pulley if you are OK not having a belt).

However - the Savage chassis really doesn't handle all that well at speed, and you would be far better off with a bike better suited to this type of use.  A twin cylinder bike will be able to handle the kind of riding you want to do.....even my twin cylinder Ninja 250 could run 80 mph easily - and the whole darn bike was only worth $1,500 (And it was a blast to ride).  The larger 300 Ninja would be a bit more money and better able to ride those speeds....the bodywork makes the bike far more stable at those speeds than the Savage is.  The Kawasaki Vulcan S could also handle those speeds if you want a foot forward cruiser style bike rather than a sport bike.

For me the Savage is a back road fun machine - not an interstate bike.  When I want to ride the Savage I choose the 70mph and below roads.  Kentucky offers lots of alternate paths to using the interstates, and it takes a bit longer but the roads are more interesting.  If you can find roads that are not highways and have slower cruising speeds - those roads are the ones you should be riding the Savage on - 65 mph and below is where the Savage runs best.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 11/05/20 at 06:36:44

Bigger front pulley and taller rear wheel might help a little bit (140/90-15)
...but,.. when I have to do highway, I watch for a slow poke and follow him... 65 or 70 just feels better to me.
Screw the rest of the traffic  Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/05/20 at 10:00:59

I know that area well.  A Savage is not going to reliably run 80+ comfortably even on those flat stretches.  

Dave has outlined the upgrades I would use as well to drop the RPM's, but you will not have a passing option out on those roads with regular traffic.  The only thing he didn't mention was a fork-brace, I would definitely want one of those to be hauling at max speed and RPM for that long, and keep oil with you on the bike.

IP Logged
Seipgam
YaBB Newbies

Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Reply #5 - 11/05/20 at 20:31:04

I agree with Gary in NJ.
If we want to ride a bike then we should buy something that suits the intended purpose.
It amazes me when people want to try and make an old thumper go like buggery.
Enjoy it for what it is or buy something else.

Geoff.

2014 S40 Boulevard
1995 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
1954 Francis-Bernett Kestrel 66 122cc
  IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/06/20 at 07:28:35

Top cruising speed should not be more than 75% of the top speed. For 80+mph cruising, get a bike capable of at least 110mph.

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #7 - 11/06/20 at 10:01:34

I have multiple bikes. Some are really not suited for 80 MPH even with more HP.

IMO you need a bike that is capable of much more than 80 on the highway to be safe in traffic. My choice in my stable would be Honda 919 Hornet, CB1000, CBR1000 or one of my CBR600. I wouldn’t want to run a thumper at that speed for any length of time. I don’t even like to run my Norton like that.

253ACBEF-2684-4FCF-A977-7DF6C5693D54.jpeg
  IP Logged
Edub

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Arizona
Reply #8 - 11/06/20 at 23:08:08

Serowbot wrote on 11/05/20 at 06:36:44:
Bigger front pulley and taller rear wheel might help a little bit (140/90-15)
...but,.. when I have to do highway, I watch for a slow poke and follow him... 65 or 70 just feels better to me.
Screw the rest of the traffic  Grin

Serowbot, your comment got me thinking; have you ever needed to do the I-10 blast between Tucson and Phoenix on your Savage? If so, how did it handle the trip? The reason I ask is that I'm based in Phoenix, but might be taking a job in Tucson. I wouldn't want to to do that run regularly on a Savage, but might do it a couple of times a year. what do you think?

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #9 - 11/10/20 at 17:49:06

Having ran my bike sustained in the 80’s (actual, not indicated), I can attest doing so is unkind to the machine.   If insistent, better carry oil with you for long trips, as the bike will be cooking through the stuff.

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 11/10/20 at 17:59:45

You need the right tool for the job. The Savage just isn’t a very capable machine. It’s fun, but it has its limitations. If I’m going over 50 miles, I take the machine on the right. It will cruise at any speed I want to ride and it has all-day comfort. Sometimes the answer is a different bike, or more bikes.

C468E971-2085-4AB3-BDD7-7B757755CCC5.jpeg

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 11/11/20 at 03:15:01

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/16/20 at 12:23:23

Gary RVA wrote on 11/05/20 at 00:56:19:
Cheyenne Wyoming (6250ft)  sets at the intersection of I25 and I80, traffic flows at 85+mph in the right lanes on both. To get to good two lane riding roads require 50-100 miles on these highways.

To feel "safe" on two wheels, the bike needs to be able pull 90 mph just to be able to maneuver in the traffic. (Not that I want to cruise over 70mph).

The question is, what can (should)  be done to upgrade my 1998 Savage to run 70-90 mph in traffic? Without breaking the bank, not trying to build a racer, just fast enough to get out of its own way...
About 4-5 month before 2021 riding season, time to start working on it.

I would never feel safe att 85 mph on a bike if I dont is alone!

At least once in every summer I test my savage on the our Swedich High roads, its speed limited to 68 .. and its awfull, this bike is not build for that.

The bike probably could manage this, but I cant, for any extended time.

One need som sort of Cowl to stand out, for those speeds.

IE a racebike whit cowls.. leaning frontward behind the cowling?

In anyway, one of my friends did buy a Suzuki GSX 1400, 106 BHP, 150 mph and no cowlings, mayby he could stand out a few minutes more then me?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GSX1400

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 15:44:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › traffic runs 85+ mph. What to upgrade?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.