Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clutch Cover Gasket (Form-a-Gasket Ultra grey) (Read 84 times)
YeetandGreet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Clutch Cover Gasket (Form-a-Gasket Ultra grey)
10/23/20 at 18:42:48

Hello again, so while doing some work on the bike a while back I came to the conclusion of checking out the "Cam tensioner" as it's prone to be one of the first major problems on the bike. As I opened the cover and looked around everything seemed wonderful including the tensioner.( not yet but soon Versy  Wink )

so then I put a brand new gasket and forgot about it, well turn out the gasket was damaged and now I'm leaking near the oil fill cap.

I decided to use Form a gasket since I don't want to wait 2 weeks for a new gasket However, this is my first time applying such a product and i just want to make sure to do it right .

here's an edited photo of the Clutch Cover (not mine) with a yellow outline depicting where I'm applying the product. Ive kept in mind that  have to use a little amount of said product

please let me know of any do's or don't for the whole procedure

InkedClutch_Cover_LI.jpg
  IP Logged
YeetandGreet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Clutch Cover Gasket (Form-a-Gasket Ultra grey)
Reply #1 - 10/23/20 at 18:46:17

If anyone is new or hasn't thoroughly checked out the forum PLEASE MAKE SURE to visit Verslagen for His Tensioner Mod/Upgrade as its essential to keep the bike like a TANK

link to his Forum Page :

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1180206459

IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/23/20 at 19:28:47

If I know where it is leaking, sometimes I put just a little sealant on that spot of the gasket. It is much easier to do service in the future, if the whole cover isn't glued on.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 10/24/20 at 01:54:39

If you are planning to substitute sealant for the gasket, you will throw off the geometry of your clutch release mechanism.  The cover will move closer to the clutch.  As a minimum, you will probably need a shorter pushrod.  This is not something you can adjust by simply loosening the clutch cable adjusters.  The release lever has a specific range of operation.  If you operate outside that range, you run the risk of breaking the release cam (Pc. 23).

Straighten out the gasket and try to seal the defective area with the sealant.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/24/20 at 04:40:25

Your proposed repair by using RTV sealant in place of the gasket is something I might do if I was stranded somewhere and needed to get home - but I would never use RTV in a place where the factory used a gasket.......and I would also never use a gasket where the factory uses RTV.

As others have suggested......clean the damaged area and apply a dab of sealant in that area.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
YeetandGreet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/24/20 at 12:37:31

Thank you all for your knowledge

I went ahead and took the cover off and looked at the gasket, it's just a small tear by the oil fill cap. I applied a small amount Ultra Grey by the tear and will let that cure for 24h before putting any oil back in, as well as I went ahead and bought a new gasket.

the bike is my daily so that's why looking for a quick fix atm.

(label says to leave for 24 hours to cure, however since I applied such a small amount, but enough to cover the area could I put the oil sooner? how long could I really wait for?)

IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/24/20 at 14:43:05

Not sure about drying time. but I had a DR650 that had a base gasket oil leak. Without tearing down the engine, I applied ultra gray around the entire base gasket, thinking it would be a temporary repair. 4 years later when I sold the bike, it still was not leaking.
You can probably wait until you need to remove the cover for something, before putting in the new gasket.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #7 - 10/25/20 at 03:52:12

The clutch cover comes off fairly frequently due to needing to keep an eye on the CCT.

The OEM gasket is metal covered in some sort of textured rubbery finish. It lasts for very many removals and reinstalls. We've had ours off maybe eight times and it's as good as new still.

After market gaskets are made of fibre and while I bought one I've never used it and in fact threw it away once I realised that it's just paper.

Buy the OEM gasket if you value your time and peace of mind and understand that some things just aren't worth skimping on just to save a few $$$'s.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 18:11:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch Cover Gasket (Form-a-Gasket Ultra grey)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.