Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Boring and Wiseco Piston questions (Read 102 times)
tinnyfacexd
YaBB Newbies

Loud Pipes Save
Lives

New Zealand
Boring and Wiseco Piston questions
10/22/20 at 04:13:55

I have a spare ls650 engine that was basically destroyed, it needs to be bored, new piston, need to get basically all new engine bolts and nuts pieces etc.

I was planning on slowly (over a year or more due to money circumstances) rebuilding this engine and turning it into a powerhouse, heavy duty clutch pack, porting header/intake, boring and wiseco piston, performance cam, etc.

My question is, would it be worth going straight from the stock size of 94mm to the max size of 97mm to gain that extra power from the displacement? if something happens and the engine gets destroyed (hopefully that'll never happen again) will I still be able to resleeve it down to 96mm or 95mm once it has been bored out to the max?

And will the highest performance cam work best with the 97mm piston?

The engine is just sitting around at the moment doing nothing so I may aswell add it to the projects list.

also on a side note if anyone know where to get a full replacement set of nuts, bolts & washers for the engine interior & exterior that would be super helpful

Broke Student along for the ride.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Boring and Wiseco Piston questions
Reply #1 - 10/22/20 at 04:46:24

When I rebuilt my engine the 94mm Wiseco was not available, and worrying about future problems I went with a 95mm.  After 14,000 miles and no issues I can see that on a well maintained engine there likely isn't any reliability issues with piston/cylinders.....so choosing the piston size based on a future rebuild isn't of much concern.  You most likely would never resleeve a cylinder - used cylinders are available on eBay far cheaper than you could get one resleeved.

The Stage 3 or DR650 cam works well with any size Wiseco piston.  None of the available cams for the Savage are very wild - and they all work just fine for a daily driver and they run smoothly.

Going from 94mm to 97mm will make a noticeable difference - if your current stock cylinder is in good shape you need to consider how you ride to determine if an extra few HP is worth the cost of the cylinder boring.  When I ride it is on curvy back roads and I obey the speed limits on the straight sections....but corner in a "festive" manner.  Having a lot of HP on tap doesn't make a lot of difference - however having that extra power is nice when I come out of an uphill corner and can just roll on a bit of throttle to gain my momentum back.

DrageBikeMike has the most experience with going from a 94mm to 97mm piston and he loves acceleration....he can give you a better idea of the comparison between the smaller/larger piston.  My own opinion is that if your stock cylinder is in good shape us the 94mm.....if you need to get the cylinder bored - go with the 97mm.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 10/22/20 at 05:22:59

I just want to add a note about the pistons.  The new version of the Wiseco piston is out now and available in the 94mm size.  It has been redesigned from the get-go to achieve a true 10.5:1 CR and has virtually the same weight as the stock piston for smooth running.
A 97mm version will be added if there is enough interest in it.  I have to order quantities at a time since these are all “Custom” designs, and that stretches my budget, so I need to know they will sell before ordering them.

I sent Dragbikemike one for testing so expect a report from him coming up in the near future.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #3 - 10/22/20 at 06:47:37

Lancer,
This is very exciting! So, the new 94mm piston gives a real 10.5-1 without skimming the head or cylinder? Sounds like the way to go.
Other than maybe hone the cylinder, no other install work?
thanks,
-Armen

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/22/20 at 07:40:14

Having a Super clutch sounds good, and you might never have a problem, but the clutch throwout is sintered metal, and they have been known to break on a stock unit.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 10/22/20 at 08:47:03

Armen wrote on 10/22/20 at 06:47:37:
Lancer,
This is very exciting! So, the new 94mm piston gives a real 10.5-1 without skimming the head or cylinder? Sounds like the way to go.
Other than maybe hone the cylinder, no other install work?
thanks,
-Armen

Yep, flat top with a shallow dish.  Ive got photos if I can get them on here.

IP Logged
tinnyfacexd
YaBB Newbies

Loud Pipes Save
Lives

New Zealand
Reply #6 - 10/22/20 at 15:14:43

Thanks for the insight Dave, the cylinder walls are scored and already wrecked so it will need a bore anyway, Ill probably take it to 97mm if reliability isn't in question.

Lancer does the 97mm Wiseco piston that is already offered not achieve 10:5:1 compression, I was under the impression it did. I would be very interested in getting one. if you decide to do an order of redesigned 97mm and need a bunch of people to make an order before you order them, message me and I will try make the money work for it.

Also Lancer, I'm still interested in those handlebars if you still wanna get rid of them.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 10/23/20 at 00:49:01

Tinnyfacexd, what part of NZ are you in?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
tinnyfacexd
YaBB Newbies

Loud Pipes Save
Lives

New Zealand
Reply #8 - 10/23/20 at 03:47:13

@jcstokes, Im in Wellington. You from around here aswell?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 10/23/20 at 13:17:25

Tinyface, this post will give you the specifics on the Wiseco pop-top compression ratios.  Even at 9.5:1 the 97mm Wiseco provides a big boost in HP & torque.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1588580303

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
tinnyfacexd
YaBB Newbies

Loud Pipes Save
Lives

New Zealand
Reply #10 - 10/23/20 at 14:57:42

that was some seriously interesting reading Mike, I think I understand this whole compression thing a little better now. Would love to hear your results when it comes to the 10.5:1 97mm

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 10/25/20 at 11:29:28

@Tinnyfacedxd, Not Wellington, Mauku, just out of Pukekohe south of jafaland.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 13:22:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Boring and Wiseco Piston questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.