Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Trump appointed 53 appellate court judges. (Read 147 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Trump appointed 53 appellate court judges.
10/19/20 at 00:54:05

Being appellate court judges means they set the precedent which becomes the law. Of those 53 judges that Trump/McConnell rammed through the system, many of them deemed 'unqualified' by the Bar Association. How many were Black?

None. Not one. This is court packing, and in a diverse country like America it's a disgrace. This is the racist agenda of McConnell. Many of the most important Supreme Court decisions have been 5-4, so one single person decides the law for 330 million Americans.

This is why the Supreme Court should be increased to 15, so a proper diversity of views are represented. Serious reform is essential and I believe that the American people will deliver a substantial Senate majority to Biden, and if that happens, then he definitely has the mandate for change.

Remember Merrick Garland was not some über Liberal judge, he was a compromise judge that Obama thought would be suitable to McConnell, but McConnell unconstitutionally point blank refused to consider Garland because he wanted extreme Judges like Barrett and the appellate court judges installed who would be conducive to maintaining laws that keep the GOP in power. It's that simple.

This is the result of putting an unqualified imbecile like Trump in office, there needs to be a correction back to normality.

6/7 of the 9 Scotus Judges will be Catholic once Barrett is in. Here's a quote from Barrett... “Keep in mind that your legal career is but a means to an end…that end is building the Kingdom of God”

Barrett said in her confirmation hearing that the precedent that married couples cannot legally be denied access to contraception, is not a 'super precedent', meaning, it can be revisited.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Trump appointed 53 appellate court judges.
Reply #1 - 10/19/20 at 08:43:41

This is not court packing and it has never been defined as court packing. Redefining words and terms is standard practice by leftist which is akin to slowly raising the temperature of the water pot our lobster is taking a leisurely bath in.

If victorious, in a few months when President Harris nominates multiple Supreme Court justices the media will offer plenty of cover by saying the same thing, that the Republicans were doing this for years. Not only is that a lie, it’s part of a long-term strategy.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/19/20 at 08:47:19

I think both sides do it,... but Rep's ran with it like they stole it this time.
...'cause they know they kinda' did.... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/19/20 at 09:08:25

No, that’s not true. It doesn’t matter how many times you repeat it. The understood definition of court packing has always meant adding justices (in this case to the Supreme Court) as a way to achieve goals not achievable through the legislative body. PERIOD.

Argue the diversity of Trump’s picks separately but it is dishonest to lump it under court packing as a means to avoid effectively pleading guilty to committing the act.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/19/20 at 09:12:46

And a future President Harris was wrong to quote a made up comment by Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln did not submit a name as a replacement judge because there was no one to submit it to. It’s not like today where are you have email or other methods. The Senate was not in session, there was no way for him to submit a name. But given that all of his supreme court appointments were required to effectively pass a litmus test , had the senate been in session, Lincoln would have submitted a name and it absolutely would have been someone who was required to rule on cases involving the confederacy in a particular way.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 10/19/20 at 09:31:01

I Googled it,... you're right.

Court packing, simply put, is when more justices are added to the Supreme Court than currently are seated—and has been discussed as a way Democrats might counteract an enduring conservative majority on the court if they win back the Senate and White House in 2020. The term court packing is historically associated with President Franklin Delano Roosevelt in the late 1930s.

Specifically,... adding more not replacing with partizans...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 10/19/20 at 09:31:52

I'm appalled, 53 you say.
Quote:
U.S. President Barack Obama nominated over four hundred individuals for federal judgeships during his presidency. Of these nominations, Congress confirmed 329 judgeships, 173 during the 111th & 112th Congresses[1] and 156 during the 113th and 114th Congresses.[2]

The most potent filibustering of Obama's nominees occurred in the Republican controlled 114th Congress. Obama nominated 69 people for 104 different federal appellate judgeships during this Congress, and although some nominees were processed by the Republican-controlled Senate Judiciary Committee, many of them stalled on the floor of the Senate. With the death of Antonin Scalia in February 2016, in the beginning of a presidential election year, the Republican majority in the Senate made it their stated policy to refuse to consider any nominee to the Supreme Court put forward by Obama, arguing that the next president should be the one to appoint Scalia's replacement. Scalia's death was only the second death of a serving justice in a span of sixty years.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama_judicial_appointment_controversies

WWW   IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #7 - 10/19/20 at 14:40:10

@Serobot,

If your definition of court packing as adding justices, then it a completely innocuous term.

The premise of my post though is obviously bald faced racism. So let's forget 'court packing' for the moment and address this egregious racism. 53 Judges, appellate court judges, the ones who when overturning lower courts set precedent, which all lower courts have to then follow. These are very powerful judges, most of their cases are not kicked up to the Supreme Court, for further review, most of their judgements become the law of the land.

Of the 53 judges, not a single judge, not one, none at all, as in zero, were b
Black. That is insane. It's the very definition of institutional racism because they set law.

That's the main point that got skirted around by trying to redefine 'court packing'.

Back to the definition of 'adding judges'. The Supreme Court has had anywhere from 5 to 10 judges, there is no specified number in the constitution. Remember the Republicans reduced the number of Judges for nearly one year, in other words, they've already been monkeying around with the numbers.

Court Packing, has an obvious meaning that does not require recourse to a dictionary. For example if Biden added two more Judges and he selected two Judges nominated by the Federalist society. Would the Republicans object. No they would not obviously, would they scream 'court packing' and cry 'foul' No they would not.

Therefore it's obvious that what is meant by 'court packing' or 'branch stacking' is centred on specifically adding partisan persons, by using the constitution to expand the court with people that you choose.

In other words it's simply putting people you choose on the court, which is er how all judges get on the supreme court, one party chooses. However that wasn't deemed a problem with either Ginsburg or Scalia, both had virtually total bipartisan support, 96-3, 98-0

So really court packing which is actually not really a thing, is simply putting your own partisan people in, in a way that is not considered right, or fair, or just because if it was right or fair or just, then it would just be what normally happens.

This is why if Merrick Garland was not unconstitutionally blocked from a Senate hearing, then the Democrats would not now be complaining about Amy Coney Barrett.

Amy Coney Barretts nomination is court packing, if you will or not court packing depending on if it's right just or fair, that Garland was denied.

The question after the election if Biden wins the Senate, which is not that certain, is, should he undo the obvious court packing of the Republicans.

Or maybe simply the threat of doing that will be enough to rein in the Supreme Court from making decisions that the vast majority of Americans do not want.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 10/19/20 at 14:44:40

I, too, posted the definition of packing , and was told by someone who doesn't care what Has been the definition that it was now
Whatever you want it to be..
Then, when I treated that Bullshit with the derision it deserved,
Amazingly
I got yet another definition.
I folded at that point
And then
Because I folded
Choosing to not engage further
I was
Over my head..

Yeah, Phhht..

If others could be enlightened and accept having actually, by definition, been incorrect and accept what is normal, then the frustration level and animosity that accompanies said frustration, would naturally decline.

Perhaps a word with the unnamed?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #9 - 10/19/20 at 14:48:35

The understood definition of court packing...

That is specious reasoning. When we discuss or debate things it's proper to define any terms more precisely if those terms have different meanings. The dictionary does not dictate the terms, it's just a general reference.

For example, if we want to debate a topic, 'does god exist', then there is no debate without defining god, as that word means to the people debating it. That is why the recent presidential 'debate' was not a debate, it was just people talking over each other.

So I am defining court packing to mean adding extreme partisan judges by unconstitutional means or even by raw power. Which is what the republicans did, by keeping 200 of Obama's Federal Court appointments vacant for Trump. And notice the word 'extreme' partisan. Garland for example was not considered 'extreme' he was an acceptable choice, but McConnell wanted people like Barrett who have extreme views.

That's how I define it, and if you wish to argue against it you know what I mean. You cannot go to a dictionary of your choice and then tell me, you understand what I mean differently because I just explain what I mean.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #10 - 10/19/20 at 14:51:56

@JoG, as I said above. We aren't debating the meaning of the term Court Packing, we are debating whether it's proper of the Republicans to deny Garland, and then ram home Barrett, and if it's not proper why shouldn't Biden address that?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 10/19/20 at 15:06:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/19/20 at 14:44:40:
I, too, posted the definition of packing , and was told by someone who doesn't care what Has been the definition that it was now
Whatever you want it to be..
Then, when I treated that Bullshit with the derision it deserved,
Amazingly
I got yet another definition.
I folded at that point
And then
Because I folded
Choosing to not engage further
I was
Over my head..

Yeah, Phhht..

If others could be enlightened and accept having actually, by definition, been incorrect and accept what is normal, then the frustration level and animosity that accompanies said frustration, would naturally decline.

Perhaps a word with the unnamed?

when confronted with the facts, the goalposts are quickly moved.

WWW   IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #12 - 10/19/20 at 15:24:34

lol. when confronted with the facts, obfuscation is the name of the game. The facts are that 53 Appellate courts judges and not a single one Black, is wrong. Denying Garland and ramming in the extreme Barrett, while people are voting is wrong.

Should Biden right these wrongs if he is given a Senate mandate. This is the thread topic.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/19/20 at 17:39:54

No. Doesn’t work that way. A child can argue that milkshakes in the morning  fulfill the requirement for dairy but that’s a child talking and is dismissed for what it is.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/19/20 at 17:41:20

eau de sauvage wrote on 10/19/20 at 15:24:34:

lol. when confronted with the facts, obfuscation is the name of the game. The facts are that 53 Appellate courts judges and not a single one Black, is wrong. Denying Garland and ramming in the extreme Barrett, while people are voting is wrong.

Should Biden right these wrongs if he is given a Senate mandate. This is the thread topic.

Elections have consequences.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 02:29:56

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Trump appointed 53 appellate court judges.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.