Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Trump appointed 53 appellate court judges. (Read 147 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Trump appointed 53 appellate court judges.
Reply #15 - 10/19/20 at 17:54:44

In what way is Barrett
Extreme?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #16 - 10/19/20 at 18:01:43

No. Doesn’t work that way.

Please explain how it does work, How do you reason that explaining what one means when discussing something is something that 'doesn't work'. I really don't get that at all.

Elections have consequences.

Yes, elections have consequences... and...? that doesn't answer my post you quoted at all.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #17 - 10/19/20 at 18:10:23

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/19/20 at 17:54:44:
In what way is Barrett
Extreme?

She said in her confirmation hearing that the law that makes it legal for married couples to purchase contraception, is not a 'super precedent' and is open to being reversed.

That's just one off the top of my head that comes to mind.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #18 - 10/19/20 at 18:25:35

@WM This is not court packing and it has never been defined as court packing.

Fine, call it whatever you like, let's say holding up 200 Federal court judges for Trump which is what McConnell did, and appointing 53 Appellate court judges none of whom is Black, and unconstitutionally refusing to hold a hearing for Garland then ramming through Barrett on a reversal of his phoney pretext, is not 'court packing'. I don't know what you'd call it but it doesn't matter because the question is...

Is it something that Biden should address and if not why not.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 10/19/20 at 20:14:53

eau de sauvage wrote on 10/19/20 at 18:01:43:
No. Doesn’t work that way.

Please explain how it does work, How do you reason that explaining what one means when discussing something is something that 'doesn't work'. I really don't get that at all.

Elections have consequences.

Yes, elections have consequences... and...? that doesn't answer my post you quoted at all.

When you change the meaning of words and phrases, we’re not talking about the same thing. Biden wants to pack the court. Trump doesn’t. End. Full stop.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 10/19/20 at 20:18:50

eau de sauvage wrote on 10/19/20 at 18:25:35:
@WM This is not court packing and it has never been defined as court packing.

Fine, call it whatever you like, let's say holding up 200 Federal court judges for Trump which is what McConnell did, and appointing 53 Appellate court judges none of whom is Black, and unconstitutionally refusing to hold a hearing for Garland then ramming through Barrett on a reversal of his phoney pretext, is not 'court packing'. I don't know what you'd call it but it doesn't matter because the question is...

Is it something that Biden should address and if not why not.

It wasn’t unconstitutional. They held the Senate.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 10/19/20 at 20:20:41

eau de sauvage wrote on 10/19/20 at 18:10:23:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/19/20 at 17:54:44:
In what way is Barrett
Extreme?

She said in her confirmation hearing that the law that makes it legal for married couples to purchase contraception, is not a 'super precedent' and is open to being reversed.

That's just one off the top of my head that comes to mind.

You didn’t watch the hearing did you? You watched clips on the news or CNN or MSNBC right?

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #22 - 10/19/20 at 22:24:43

@wm, in fact is is unconstitutional, you haven't read the part of the constitution that deals with the issue of Senate confirmations, have you?

What makes you think I didn't watch Barretts confirmation hearings? Which I did in order to hear for myself because I am interested in the topic. Don't assume that everyone has such a shallow grasp of the facts as you obviously do, which is why I suppose you are unable to answer with anything other than "it's unconstitutional" hoping you'll get lucky.

What about the 53 Judges none of whom were Black, do you think that Biden should address that? Do you think it's representative of the US, or representative of racist Republicans. They couldn't even bring themselves to insert a token Black, that's how racist they are, it's more important that the law of the land is established by white folks only, no matter how bad it looks.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 10/20/20 at 05:39:21

No, you didn’t watch the hearings and certainly not with a discerning ear.

The super-precedent is a scholarly approach others agree with and is certainly based on common sense. And had you listened to the hearings and other witnesses, you would have heard that. And you would have heard part of that definition is based upon the fact that some legislative body would have to debate and pass legislation going against established principles from one of these super precedents.

For example a legislative body would have to pass legislation overturning the foundational principles behind Brown versus the Board of Education. After that, an injured party would file suit and a lower court would need to rule in favor of the legislation. That would need to repeat itself as the process moved upwards through the system, eventually reaching the Supreme Court. The likelihood of that happening is beyond the description of unlikely. For that to happen, the nation would be in such disarray, we would have long since ceased being the United States of America. There is wide consensus on five or six of these super-precedents and she listed them all. Go look it up.

Roe v. Wade is precedent , and strong precedent , but it’s not a super precedent . The fact that there are court cases constantly, protest, elections are won or loss based upon someone’s abortion view, clearly and without question defines Roe v. Wade as less than a super precedent.

But, it’s unlikely that that would be overturned without dozens and dozens of states passing state laws outlawing abortion as provided by Roe v. Wade.  Now there will likely be further restrictions. I think a lot of people would agree with certain parental consent laws and restrictions on late term. But Roe v. Wade as it originally was written is not going anywhere.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #24 - 10/20/20 at 13:50:30

Well I'll say again I watched the debate, so you keep saying I didn't is obviously you projecting.

Why are you even in this thread if you persistently refuse to address the 53 Appellate court judges, none of whom are Black? Do you think that's representative of the US population.

"Super Precedent" is actually not a thing.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 10/20/20 at 15:11:16

There was a discussion during Neil Gorsuch’s hearing on the topic. It’s an established legal topic of debate. Again, if your video is claiming this is not a thing or something she made up, like I said, you didn’t watch the hearings, you watched a few clips.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #26 - 10/20/20 at 16:11:02

If people opine about 'super precedent' or what is not a 'super precedent' then of course it's a topic. Obviously it's a 'topic'. Unquestionable it's a topic'. Everything that is discussed is a 'topic'.

But it is not a thing. And by that I mean, it is not a legal doctrine. Same as 'court packing'. It's a topic, it mainly referenced the 1937 attempt but other people use it in different ways but however it's used, like 'super precedent' it is not a 'thing', it's not a legal doctrine. Whether it's right, or wrong, whether it's against the 'spririt' of the law are arguable. But it's not a doctrine. It's more an historical reference point. Roosevelt's plan was not illegal.

So super precedent is not a doctrine. And in that sense it's not a thing, that has any legal meanings. In fact by Barrett's own testimony it's a label that different brands of textualism will apply differently. In other words as Kirschner pointed out, it's just a word to hide ones ideology behind.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #27 - 10/20/20 at 16:17:54

Great article in the WaPo on Biden's alternatives to 'court packing' as it were.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/10/20/biden-court-packing-altern...

There is, however, a better way for Democrats to achieve their policy goals without responding to Republican court-packing with court-packing of their own.

For if Democrats are able to expand the Supreme Court, then they could just as well use the same legislative power to overturn many of the worst decisions of the Rehnquist and Roberts courts over the last 30 years and stymie a new conservative majority on the court in its quest to dismantle the regulatory state.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 10/21/20 at 05:47:27

Again, you’ve simply wrong. Super-precedent is an accepted line of thinking when the topic is stari decisive. Had you watched the hearing, you would have noticed no one questioned or misunderstood the term. It’s been a part of the discussion for years. The debatable point is what qualifies as a super-precedent.

You can continue to redefine words and phrases all you want and hyper-partisans will foolishly fall for it.
Court packing means one thing and one thing only.
Super-precedent is a mainstream line of thinking how to view legal precedents.

You want to make a point about court diversity, go ahead, but I have no interest if the term court packing is redefined so as to be included. You’ve  convinced yourself it is so I’m yak it up all you want.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #29 - 10/21/20 at 14:14:38

Again, you’ve simply wrong. Super-precedent is an accepted line of thinking when the topic is stari decisive.

Yeah well it's not up to you to declare whatever you want to be true by unilateral decision with absolutely nothing to back you up.

I won't bother quoting from this 2005 article on the origins of 'super precedent' but you'll see that it means whatever an ideological judge wants it to mean. For some 'Roe v Wade' is 'super precedent' for others like Barrett, it is not. https://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/30/weekinreview/so-do-you-believe-in-superpre...

Super precedent, ostensibly is a form of an untouchable stare decisis. But if what is untouchable is simply a matter of opinion then there is effectively no such thing as 'super precedent' that has any meaning. This is why we have 4/4 decisions in some cases.

But this article may interest you, or at least keep you awake at night, it contains a bewildering array of heavy weapons other than so called 'court packing', that a Democratic congress can use to address a rogue Supreme Court. https://www.vox.com/21514454/supreme-court-amy-coney-barrett-packing-voting-r...

Let's hope the Democrats use their time wisely.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 02:28:27

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Trump appointed 53 appellate court judges.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.