Withdrawal symptoms ! (Read 131 times)
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Withdrawal symptoms !
10/18/20 at 12:06:10

Sold my stock '08 S40 last week, leaving me with just the '08 hotrod. Thought I wanted a 2 cyl to replace it, but am already regretting selling it.
Some nice '11s or '12s on C-list here. Can't decide. Physically 76, mentally 16.
Cheers! Cool
ps: lusting for a RE-650 or MG-V7
pps: Am I the only one that thinks the Rebel 500 is the world's ugliest bike? Honda really goofed on this one.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Withdrawal symptoms !
Reply #1 - 10/18/20 at 12:24:24

I can't believe you're older than me.
I'm mentally 12... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/18/20 at 13:38:07

Stock S40/LS650's have a lot going for them - provided you are not doing lots of interstate riding at the current 75+ mph that the prevailing traffic flow requires.

I am not a fan of the Rebel 500 looks - but Honda was trying to capture the entry level cruiser market.  If they had made it into a standard bike like the Suzuki T250 or the Yamaha SR400.....I would have like it better (but still not bought one).

A mid sized twin has a lot going for them.  My little Ninja 250 had the same HP as the Savage but could easily maintain 80mph all day long on the interstate.  Twins lack the low end torque that a single has - but they make up for it in being able to run at higher speeds.

I am not sure what style bike you want.  If I was looking at a used naked bike right now.....I would seriously consider the Honda NT650.  Funny thing about this bike is that the bikes sell for about the same price they cost when new.

https://www.canyonchasers.net/2013/02/the-amazing-honda-hawk-gt-nt650/

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 10/18/20 at 18:36:35

zipidachimp

ps: lusting for a RE-650 or MG-V7
pps: Am I the only one that thinks the Rebel 500 is the world's ugliest bike? Honda really goofed on this one.

Yea , The NEW - Honda Rebels are not much to look at with that oversize front tire and all Blacked out the way they are !    I'll bet they are easy to ride ... but being so UGLY , its amazing they sell any of them.    

If they had of made an air cooled version of the 250 in 500cc , I'd have one now.   But they seem to think everyone wants the most HP and Liquid cooled to go with that HP.  

As it is : I wanted a Twin Royal Enfield Interceptor 650  , or something like it.
I came across a barn-find Kawasaki W-650 a month ago.  Its a year 2000 with 13K-miles on it.   Now that I've got it up and going its easy to like.   Its a 360 deg. crank and reminds me of a 1971 Honda 350 twin I had long ago , but this one makes 50HP.   It's under bored with a 74mm bore and a 83 stroke , so it can get down to 1200 rpm in high gear and still smoothly pull off again.  Easy and smooth , but between 5k and 7.5k it pulls like a two stroke.  Smiley

For twice the money I could have got a new RE - twin ...  Roll Eyes

I've got a Guzzi V-7II 2016 (bought it new) , (the year before they went all "High-Tech") I've put 18k happy miles on it , its just broke in good  Smiley

At one point I had a 2017 Guzzi Roamer V-9 (Put 7k-miles on it).   It shifted like a farm tractor so I got rid of it.   I understand the new V-7III have the same problem ???  Try one out for yourself.

Doing things again , I'd just buy the RE Interceptor .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #4 - 10/18/20 at 18:44:47

Dave: way back in another universe, I owned an Ascot VT500 twin, great bike. The NT650 was a natural upgrade but circumstances said no.
My knees demand I stay away from anything approaching "rear set" style footpegs, so my choices are limited.
I may even end up with a newer S40! Then all my mods begin again!
At least I didn't lose any money on the sale after 4 years!
Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 10/18/20 at 21:39:52

The Honda is UGLY ! You might want to say it is FUGLY , Do I need to spell it out for you ?
I’m sure it is a great bike but it’s FUGLYNESS seems to block out the creative vision it would take to modify it into a better lookin bike !  Grin Grin Grin

I’m likin the new CB350 Thumper , just not sure if it coming here(USA)

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 10/18/20 at 21:54:52

Zippi with all the adventurous spirit of youth, I'm only 70 physically, I don't know what you mean by metally, metal is a generally regarded as a ferrous or non ferrous element. In my considered youthful opinion you should seriously contemplate a mid 1970's Jawa 350, strong economical and more or less reliable ignition system. A can of WD40 in the 9 inch  man sized pressure pack with red knob will ensure absolute ignition in all weathers can be easily carried for wet days. Mind you I've never need one after nearly 54000 miles on the S40.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #7 - 10/19/20 at 02:45:56

JC: I'm meNtal, not metal. I went to school with a guy who rode a Jawa 350 30 miles each way to his home. Nice bike.
Could be tempted by a CB500f, GS500 or even a newer S40.
I'll wait until I see hurting dealers start chopping prices to move stock.
The covid dark cloud might bring a sunny day.  Sorry if any of you have been affected.
Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #8 - 10/19/20 at 06:29:22

COVID caused an increase in motorcycle sales. The prevailing theory is that people were looking for more isolated means of transportation.

I think the RE650 is an outstanding bike and value.

I wish I still had every bike I've ever had.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 10/19/20 at 06:36:45

I went looking for a Jon boat.
No new ones available. Sold out, production, limited or stopped, IDK. Found a used one, just because I drive by it and knew it was sitting there, unused in the last couple of years.
Lots of things that were readily available before just aren't easy to get now.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 10/19/20 at 09:17:42

Ruttly wrote on 10/18/20 at 21:39:52:
The Honda is UGLY ! You might want to say it is FUGLY , Do I need to spell it out for you ?
I’m sure it is a great bike but it’s FUGLYNESS seems to block out the creative vision it would take to modify it into a better lookin bike !  Grin Grin Grin

I’m likin the new CB350 Thumper , just not sure if it coming here(USA)

Yes, I wonder if I can steal the wheels...

WWW   IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #11 - 10/19/20 at 20:13:25

re: CB350 at the right price I'm a buyer!

Also considering a 2012 at almost the same price as the 2008 I just sold! Seriously!
Cheers!  Cool
ps: my 2014 battery in my other S40 just failed, a month before end of riding season!
Rats! Angry

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 10/20/20 at 04:46:57

That little CB350 is sweet......unfortunately I don't see it coming to the US or selling well in the US.

A single cylinder 350 just isn't fast enough to be a practicable motorcycle in the US.  If a motorcycle can't go 70mph easily - it just won't keep up with highway traffic safely.  If you live in a small town or only ride on City streets it could likely do fine.

The USA is a small market, and in many parts of the world a 350cc motorcycle is considered to be a "large" motorcycle.  That is one of the reasons the Savage was a 400cc bike in parts of the world.....Royal Enfield sold 20 times as many 350cc bikes as they did their 500cc version of the Bullet.

It would be cool if Honda could make that CB350 in a 500cc single or twin for the US.......even a 350 twin would have good enough performance to travel on the highway.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 10/20/20 at 05:44:41

There are many city dwellers who also like light weight two wheel transportation in town.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 10/20/20 at 08:14:37

[color=#999999][/color]  
It would be cool if Honda could make that CB350 in a 500cc single or twin for the US..  

That same bike in a air cooled 500cc single or twin  Cool
I'd trade the W-650 for a 500 twin model of it , just to get away from the wire wheels.

I'll take one !    Long as the same wheels come with it !  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/28/24 at 22:22:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › Withdrawal symptoms !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.