Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Rules of play
10/18/20 at 08:15:02

If rules are changed,... we'll have to work out terms of enforcement.

This is just for me to get an idea of what you would like, not necessarily to be acted upon.
Make any comments you think relevant.
Not voting will be considered a vote for no change. (Option 2)
Voting will be hidden until results are in.

Serow

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Rules of play
Reply #1 - 10/18/20 at 08:38:43

People get frustrated, angry, passionate,
People have emotions
Some are naturally more professional
Others, not so much,,
People are messy,,
We can agree one day
Disagree the next
It's a sandbox, some days I am more mature than others,, some days I'm a total Richard, some days nobody can piss me off,,
Let it be, see how it goes,, we can impose rules later, if necessary,
It could get pretty messy while we learn to play together,,
Nobody will die, or get a split lip.
The forum proper won't suffer, this is the sandbox, and nobody comes here expecting to not get a little gritty.
I think it's a wise thing, this poll, rather than trying to impose some authoritarian control and demand the place operate according to your own grasp of what is good, opening the door to what the diapered denizens of the sandbox want..not sure I would have come up with that..
However it goes, good job, Row.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #2 - 10/18/20 at 14:16:34

Well let me say Serowbot, I'm a little surprised at this thread, but I am also heartened and you deserve some credit for seeing the need.

I've ticked the box where no personal abuse is allowed. However there will be nuances and we should use the thread to nut these out. I think we all fully understand that when we say 'personal' abuse we are referring to members of the forum only. Hey if you need to call Trump or Biden a clown, or worse, then have at.

The reason I disdain personal abuse is because it's not followed up with a 'because...' It's just 'you're and idiot', rather than "that is an idiotic idea because ...."

I'm happy to play by whatever rules you decide are in play Serowbot, and ultimately it is down to how you wish to run the forum. Not only that, I think some serious consideration should be given to people who use this forum, I see hundreds of members but only a handful who use this forum.

There will be international users who would be dismayed if they stumbled into this part of the forum. Personally I don't see that this site as a whole would be in any way diminished if this political forum as it currently exists, would cease to be.

And it looks like Trump is going to be a distant memory in two weeks so maybe now is the time to get this sorted because there's gonna be some very unhappy people around soon who will take Trump's defeat personally, so it could get ugly.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #3 - 10/18/20 at 14:19:14

Let it be, see how it goes,, we can impose rules later, if necessary,

Yeahhhhh we already did that it's been four years since we last tried 'no personal abuse', it is something you practice in your normal life when you need to without any difficulty at all. Don't be frightened of change JoG, you may even find your self being able to engage more and who knows you may even be able to persuade people around to your way of thinking.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/18/20 at 15:20:58

How about that?
You're already failing to grasp what I said.
I said
No Rules..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #5 - 10/18/20 at 17:00:46

eau de sauvage wrote on 10/18/20 at 14:19:14:
...  it's been four years since we last tried 'no personal abuse', ...

I did not know you have been here for 4 years !

Why is it that just recently,
you have begun attacking members on the TT ?

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 10/18/20 at 17:02:51

So here's the deal.
None of us Moderators want to play 24hr babysitter and we shouldn't have to.
In the recent hours since this issue has come up, it has escalated instead of being acknowledged.

Many of you have been here for years so you must enjoy yourselves.
Behave like mature adults.
Or you will lose this forum. Not by me, but by the site owner.

I personally like discussing social and political issues, and I enjoy making fun and having the freedom to get a bit wild.  But name calling will make membership go down.
That's not okay.
I agree with Eau on this.
Quote:
There will be international users who would be dismayed if they stumbled into this part of the forum. Personally I don't see that this site as a whole would be in any way diminished if this political forum as it currently exists, would cease to be.

I am concerned about keeping our international followers and those that don't like conflict.
We can do this with decorum and civility and still enjoy good natured ribbing and punditry.

I'm not here 24hrs a day, and don't read every post.
I'm not willing to volunteer as a nanny.
I think some of you are pissing me off intentionally.
For the moment,... I want some civil discourse, and any posts that get rebellious will get the entire thread locked up.
It ain't the right thing to do, and I know you will want to complain.
But just don't.
People start acting responsibly and thread locking will stop.
You guys are better than this.
Both sides.... it's basically Eau against the rest of you, and that's why I allow him more leeway.  And I get that that ain't fair but it is what it is.
You're going too far.
No leeway now... Both sides behave.
Please,

Your loving nanny, Serow.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #7 - 10/18/20 at 17:40:56

I'm glad finally that a stand is being taken.

Like you Serowbot, I also think a decent bit of political argy bargy is good. And if someone wants to blow off some steam, the actual politicians are a decent target. The reason it's me again a whole bunch is that most reasonable posters have just gone away not wanting to push sh!t uphill.

Why do I bother? Well mostly I don't but it's just not in my nature to let bullies have a free rein, whether it's on a forum, or even if it's just some checkout person at a supermarket harassing an old lady.

However to get more philosophical, I do think there is a method to the madness of aiming abuse at people, and it's been very disappointing to see the occasional new member come in here and cop flack immediately.

And that I think IS the point. None of us personally care about being called names, so why does it happen? Well I think it's a deliberate tactic that people who do not like the premise of a thread use in order to hijack it and turn it into a sh1tstorm.

In fact you saw it happen in this very thread, some people do not like the premise and as you correctly noted Serowbot, they deliberately wind you up PRECISELY to take the thread off topic.

I feel sorry for people like Eegore, who will make a decent attempt to engage while ignoring patent personal abuse, but what happens? Well you see what happens, it's just used to not answer any points he makes.

So I think it's important to see these personal wind up merchants for what they are really doing which is to stymie any real political dialogue, and simply post right wing propaganda, if anyone answers it, then they get abuse.

It's a tactic to take over the forum. See it for what it really is.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/18/20 at 18:20:16

I agree that if the current system stays in place it will reduce users, or at a minimum keep people who otherwise want to share from contributing.  

I have been PM'd multiple times by people who would contribute to the Tall Table but see it as hostile, childish, etc.  So they just PM questions instead of asking everyone.

Another factor is historically forums with no enforcement eventually devolve from discussion and debate to the larger group just telling each other how right they are all day.  This forum has no reason to expect an exemption from that.  The current trajectory will reduce traffic to the overall site over time.

Also it is not fair to ask a moderator to keep us in check.  If we can't control our statements because someone else said something we don't like, we need to leave, or be removed.

Or we need to accept that what we have now will only exist until the owner of the site gets a serious complaint or gets tired of the analytics showing the negative impact.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #9 - 10/19/20 at 00:40:42

If we can't control our statements because someone else said...

Ya gotta be careful with that Eegore, because you of all people would be very aware of how 'definitions' 'rules' and 'whataboutism' or who did what in the past, end up being used to justify anything.

This is not rocket science.

What I would suggest is public naming and shaming. If people just start sending alerts to moderators then no one knows what's going on behind the scenes. No one wants to be mugged off.

Probably a good solution initially, if it's decided that something should be done, is to remove offending posts. I agree it's annoying to have to delve into this level of idiocy, but then that's exactly the reason why most mature forums just have in their rules it any personal abuse for any reason will not be tolerated and those who do it will be banned without warning instantly. It's kinda works pretty well.

Anyone who can actually mount a persuasive argument would prefer to keep it civil so someone can't hide.

If the rules are applied severely but equally to EVERYONE, then no one has any cause for complaint.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/19/20 at 06:28:06

it's basically Eau against the rest of you, and that's why I allow him more leeway.  And I get that that ain't fair but it is what it is

No, that’s not really true. You allow him leeway because he’s your proxy. You’re on the same side. You cover him as he does your dirty work.

No one has gone over the top to the degree he has. That’s a verifiable fact.

After the election, Eau or I will be gone. Assuming he lives up to the deal, which is debatable. I see in another post he changed the definition of court packing to suit his needs so winning or losing is up for grabs as well.

If Trump wins and he’s gone, you’re welcomed everyone. Things will get quiet in here until the next commie shows up, maybe this one will be from the USA.

If Trump loses, I’m gone and I won’t care that Sew’s skirts have another occupant.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #11 - 10/19/20 at 06:37:00

Serowbot wrote on 10/18/20 at 17:02:51:
... it's basically Eau against the rest of you,
and that's why I allow him more leeway ...    

OK
  Got it.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 10/19/20 at 07:02:06

MnSpring wrote on 10/19/20 at 06:37:00:
Serowbot wrote on 10/18/20 at 17:02:51:
... it's basically Eau against the rest of you,
and that's why I allow him more leeway ...    

OK
  Got it.

Do you really want to debate with only like minded people?...
That's actually impossible.
Many of Eau's attacks were escalations... and very much crossed the line, but,... you can't escalate civility.
Things have gotten out of hand because no one here did their due diligence.
De-escalate... refuse to respond,... as a last resort PM me and I will take action.  
Again,... I don't read everything... if things get out of hand, tell me.
Don't expect me to be responsible for your behavior.

PS... Web and Eau's wager is, I hope, hyperbole.
I like them both and don't want either to leave.
I said I'd leave the country if Trump was elected and I still get ribbed for having said that.
Trump has now said he'll leave the country if he loses.
I hope you hold him to it, but I imagine it was hyperbolic.
Time to quit arguing about arguing and get back to issues.
Let's follow the rules.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 10/19/20 at 07:45:50

I would have to say that whatever the rules are, that they are applied fairly and across the board.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 10/19/20 at 08:09:31

Agreed.
I perhaps phrased my comment poorly
I agree with even enforcement.
What I meant was Eau's comments were more egregious, but I was ignoring all comments, hoping you would work it out for yourselves.
The policy will be enforced more strictly now based on the poll results.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 02:23:25

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Rules of play

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.