My Build, opinions? (Read 96 times)
tinnyfacexd
YaBB Newbies

Loud Pipes Save
Lives

New Zealand
My Build, opinions?
10/16/20 at 20:14:00

Hey guys, this is (basically) my first post, been excited to make a post on here since I've been reading this forum for the past couple of years!

So basically my original 2005 boulevard bobber engine blew up a few months ago at 60,000kms. I recently bought a de-registered 2016 s40 and cannibalised it to rebuild the bobber. Gave it a new paint job, the new engine has only done 13,000kms.

After reading this for a few weeks now, I've decided to cut the snorkel from the airbox and keep the door open and replace the original paper filter with some of that synthetic cotton stuff that I read herehttp://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1183640744/0 to go with the screaming eagle exhaust I have. Honestly I'm not sure that the vacuum on the stock petcock will handle the higher airflow so might have to go the 660 raptor and give the carb a tune.

However I was wondering if you guys knew of any clear coat that would keep on the front fork lowers? at the moment my bike has some ugly black spray paint without clear on it but I want to repaint and have it nice looking, if its going to be too much of a pain I will just strip them back to the metal and polish them up, this is something that I was hoping to get an opinion on, black and clear coat OR strip and polish?

I'm also ordering some new bars next week and I think I've measured correctly and they  sould work with the original clutch and throttle cable if I delete the riser knuckles and use the original clamps although I'm if anyone would be able to double check this for me, it'd be great. also would love to hear your opinion on the bars and if you think they'll work. Will post more pictures once I have them installed.

This is the bike

Broke Student along for the ride.
  IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Re: My Build, opinions?
Reply #1 - 10/16/20 at 21:29:32

Tinney, First I would offer up to replace the petcock with a Yamaha factory Raptor, no negitive aspect other than you must turn it off after you finish riding. As for forks, they have been painted and it is very had to get any finish to stick to weathered aluminum. Coating is not the problem, it is surface prep before application of paint to substrate. Best is to strip it down, etch it throughly and apply new coating with heat. If you ride in winter condiions it is very hard to protect any parts of the front end and engine from salt contamination. Remember wraps often just hide ugly, they don't correct the problem.

Bar options with the high risers are limited, interested in what your thought are. I have a "03" with low risers, I put a 6" window drag bar on. My other is an "2011" with high risers and stock drags, looking to make a change, where are you thinking of going?

IP Logged
tinnyfacexd
YaBB Newbies

Loud Pipes Save
Lives

New Zealand
Reply #2 - 10/16/20 at 21:44:56

Ill be hoping to just mount them without the risers at all, just put them straight on to the original clamps (I don't think it would interfere with tank)

just mounted like this ( these are the handlebars I'm looking at ) I don't think there will be any interference with the tank, however if there is I will need to find some risers that will work alright and buy some new clutch/throttle cables.

can I see the photos of both your handlebar setups?

IP Logged
tinnyfacexd
YaBB Newbies

Loud Pipes Save
Lives

New Zealand
Reply #3 - 10/16/20 at 21:51:06

And with the forks, ive got another set. Ill probably just strip the factory clear coat off them and polish them and put them back on. I don't have the money to get the professionally painted really.

Ill search up the petcock and order it before I modify the airbox

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/17/20 at 11:57:02

Contact the store that sells to the auto body repair shops. You can get 2 stage rattle can paint from them.
YOU SIMPLY MUST WEAR APPROPRITE GEAR to sporay it.. Or You WILL Destroy your lungs,, Its not something you Get Over, like a cold..
The hardware store sells painters respirators, If youre using a two stage paint without one,, well,, BYE,,
If you can SMELL it, your mask isnt sitting right,,
STOP,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #5 - 10/17/20 at 12:00:33

Rustoleum 'HAMMERED' black spray paint.
It appears to have 'gloss' coating when it dries. Long Lasting!  Use some bristol board behind each leg to shield from overspray.
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 10/18/20 at 03:32:49

I stripped the clear coat off my engine cases and keep them polished.  I don't ride in the winter when de-icer is applied to the road and the bike is stored indoors....and only ridden in the rain when I get caught!

The aluminum needs to be polished a couple times a year to keep the aluminum looking nice - if you ignore it tarnish will come back.

You can strip the clear coat, polish the forks and apply a new clear coat from a spray can.  The epoxy paints (2K) that mix the components in the can are far more durable and stick better than a single component paint....and as the black paint on you forks has proven, it is easy to damage/scratch the single component paints off the forks.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 10/18/20 at 18:18:32

I just recently got a set of bars exactly like the ones you pictured, but they were not as tall as I expected and so cannot use them.  I paid $40 something for them and if you want them will discount that.

IP Logged
tinnyfacexd
YaBB Newbies

Loud Pipes Save
Lives

New Zealand
Reply #8 - 10/19/20 at 14:19:18

Thanks guys, I will look for some 2 part epoxy, I've got a 3M respirator with gas filter already so I'll make sure I'll use it.

LANCER, that would be awesome actually I tried to PM you but it seems that I need to have a post count of at least 10. Have you tried fitting them to the bike with the stock tank and stock clamps? if so was there enough clearance?
I'd be happy to take them off your hands! If you don't mind shipping them to New Zealand, I'll pay postage (if its not like another $40)

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 10/20/20 at 14:11:49

Will need to check the shipping cost to NZ.  The box weighs 7lbs. and is 7x8x26”.

« Last Edit: 11/02/20 at 13:21:52 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
tinnyfacexd
YaBB Newbies

Loud Pipes Save
Lives

New Zealand
Reply #10 - 10/20/20 at 21:20:00

Let me know about shipping, can process payment through Paypal right?

If there are clearance issues with the stock tank would you have any risers that would work with them that you don't need? would be happy to buy them off you too if they would be needed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 04:20:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › My Build, opinions?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.