Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Build Planning / Order of Operations (Read 93 times)
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Build Planning / Order of Operations
10/15/20 at 13:24:55

This is kind of an open ended question, but...

What projects should be undertaken and in what order?

My main question is can these be done as a 'rolling build', or should I plan a major take down over winter? Here's the list and in the order I was thinking. My main fear is ending up over my head and not being able to get the bike back together or it operating worse than it is now.

1. Replace Muffler / Rejet Carb
2. Install Steel Braid Brake Line
3. Install Seat Loop, Seat, Rear Lights, Rear Fender, License Plate
4. Install low profile tank (done along with above?)
5. Paint (assume this will be needed with new tank)
6. Replace Rear Wheel with 18"/replace tires
7. Rearsets (I really want to do this, but think it's a huge undertaking, so idk)
8. Electrical overhaul (anyone installed a Motogadget m.unit? another wishlist item)
9. Major engine/carb work (Lancer's Carb, Piston, Camshaft)

Completed already:
1. Brake Pads
2. Risers
3. Handlebars
4. Grips
5. Mirrors
6. Headlight
7. Front Springs
8. Shocks

Thoughts?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Build Planning / Order of Operations
Reply #1 - 10/15/20 at 13:48:22

Numbers 5 through 9 will require that the bike be taken off the road for a period of time. The engine work could have you down for weeks or months (years) depending on your experience.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/15/20 at 13:58:33

I think your order is reasonable.  Not far off from what I did.   The rear wheel doesn't have to take long.  I did mine over a weekend when my bike was still stock.  I would probably move it up on the list.  I think the seat, tank, and fender should be done together so that you can make sure you get the lines you want. I think that is probably the most important thing to getting a good look and rear fenders make it harder. I didn't bother messing with the electronics or mechanical items on my bike.  Stock is fine for me.

IP Logged
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Reply #3 - 10/15/20 at 17:07:26

Thanks Gary and OH. The only reason I wasn't planning the rear wheel any sooner is I have plenty of life left in the current tires. Guess that means I need to go ride more Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/16/20 at 04:29:40

For me - warm weather is for riding/tinkering and cold weather is for major renovation work.

During the months that are warm enough for riding - I do projects that are quickly done on rainy days, and go riding on sunny days.

I have a nice heated garage and spend a lot of winter days installing new tires, making bodywork changes, painting, engine modifications, etc.

I can't explain how painful it is when I have a bike torn apart on a nice sunny day.......and hear bikes riding past my house!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #5 - 10/16/20 at 06:02:41

I did the 18" rear wheel. Bought a used hub and a wheel built. I had to cut the cross brace (tire wouldn't clear) on the swingarm and instal an additional brace in front of the original. I did the Kawi front pulley, so the wheel was moved forward a bit.
In general, I try to by used parts, modify them, and swap out parts. It cuts down the downtime tremendously. Lots of cheap used Savage parts on Ebay and on this forum.
I did the Motogadget M-Unit and M-Button. On a complete rewiring job, they are amazing. Not sure if you can justify all the work and expense on a relatively stock bike.
Lots of good info on this list.
I did the front forks as per Gary from NJ info.
The stock front brake is pretty sad. The Ryca Shawn caliper/rotor kit is much better.
Def do the Drag Bike Mike rear wheel bearing/modified spacer thing. Cheap and easy and eliminates the dreaded pulley wobble.
And post pics!

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Reply #6 - 10/16/20 at 09:13:47

I'm thinking I'll spend this winter trying to figure out the seat, tank, etc. I like the idea of the m.unit, but think that'll be a later project.

I'm already having trouble with the DRL lights after adding the headlight with LED DRLs. I'd like to convert everything to LEDs, but know there's an issue with reducing the draw and the blinkers. Can anyone explain how to manage that for the front and back? I saw a post that had an adapter picture, but it didn't make sense to me as to what it was exactly and if it would work for both front and rear lights going to LEDs.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/16/20 at 15:38:28

I kept the stock belt and didn't have to mod the swingarm.  If you find tires that are less than 26" you'll have plenty of room.  You have to look at the manufactures sites to see what tires you can us.  I have used Shinko 120/80-18, 4.10-18, and a 100/90-18 tires on mine without issues.

EDIT:  I kept the stock shocks.  You have longer shocks but I don't think that would matter.  Your belt will be looser when they are uncompressed.

IP Logged
Edub

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Arizona
Reply #8 - 10/18/20 at 01:39:21

It looks like you have the right idea by making a plan first.  The other advice given here by the pros is excellent, listen to these guys!  

As an experienced designer in another field (architecture), I always recommend having a good, clear plan of action for any design project, and this certainly qualifies. Be sure to check out Ohiomoto's build thread, one of the best on here, especially relevant is how he mocked everything up before cutting or welding anything. Post lots of photos and pics, as your project sounds like fun!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 10:45:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Build Planning / Order of Operations

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.