Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Turn Signals Blinking too Fast and Horn Broken (Read 182 times)
d3adrock

Turn Signals Blinking too Fast and Horn Broken
10/10/20 at 18:45:37

Hi everyone, before judging me, please try and have some sympathy.

I removed the front turn signals on my bike (because they're ugly and I hate them). I just snipped them at the wire. Unfortunately now the rear turn signals blink really fast, which doesn't bother me much, however the horn is also very weak sounding. What do you think the problem is and how do I fix it? Lend me your electrical wisdom o'forum!

Thanks!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Turn Signals Blinking too Fast and Horn Broken
Reply #1 - 10/10/20 at 19:27:33

I removed the front turn signals on my bike (because they're ugly and I hate them). I just snipped them at the wire. Unfortunately now the rear turn signals blink really fast,

And you want someone to tell you why it doesn't work right?
Really?
If you were asked that question, and given that set of facts to work from, what would your first guess be?

Go pull one turn signal bulb out of the car.
Observe..

Horn
Weak
After you cut wires,,
Dang if I know..
Happened at the same time?
Related?
Probably..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 10/10/20 at 19:35:30

The horns suck , get another , loud one , eBay , Amazon
I got a Harley Dyna horn loud as hell , but costs way too much.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #3 - 10/10/20 at 20:01:56

i must say this. You had a perfectly working motorcycle and decided to change that???

There is an answer somewhere. :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #4 - 10/10/20 at 21:30:43

norm92de wrote on 10/10/20 at 20:01:56:
i must say this. You had a perfectly working motorcycle and decided to change that???

There is an answer somewhere. :'(

No, you absolutely didn't need to say this, since it in no ways helped.

And yes, I had a working motorcycle, and I still do, just with a minor problem caused by changing something to suit my personal tastes, which thanks to all these helpfull replies I now fully understand how to fix (jk). And by the way, It's called modifying, perhaps you've heard of it?

IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #5 - 10/10/20 at 21:50:02

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/10/20 at 19:27:33:
I removed the front turn signals on my bike (because they're ugly and I hate them). I just snipped them at the wire. Unfortunately now the rear turn signals blink really fast,

And you want someone to tell you why it doesn't work right?
Really?
If you were asked that question, and given that set of facts to work from, what would your first guess be?

Go pull one turn signal bulb out of the car.
Observe..

Horn
Weak
After you cut wires,,
Dang if I know..
Happened at the same time?
Related?
Probably..

What a clever and helpful reply! No way I couldve put those two things together!

Obviously I know that removing the fronts changed the load on the electrical system which is why it's behaving as it is.

Perhaps I didn't write clearly enough in the first post, so in that case to clarify, I would like and greatly appreciate any HELP in figuring out how to correct the issue presented to me by my removal of the front signals. Preferably without any of the additional judgments that invariably seem to follow whenever someone wants to remove turn signals.

Now you may think it's stupid to like it without the front turn signals, and that's fine, you do what you want to your bike, I'll do what I want to mine. Additionally no one is in any way obligated to actually help me resolve my issue.

However In the event that you are so uninclined to actually provide assistance or insight into my predicament, I kindly ask that you please refrain from expending your precious brainpower (and time) coming up with snide remarks to what was a very sincere question.

Thanks for the replies

IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #6 - 10/10/20 at 21:53:45

Ruttly wrote on 10/10/20 at 19:35:30:
The horns suck , get another , loud one , eBay , Amazon
I got a Harley Dyna horn loud as hell , but costs way too much.

Thank you for your suggestion, I'm already running a non stock horn which up till my little change was plentiful loud for me. I also don't thing a different horn would have much effect since the problem originates with the electrical load, and not with the horn itself.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 10/11/20 at 04:00:21

The flasher for the turn signals is mechanical, and designed for the load imposed by 4 working bulbs that are around 23 watts each.  When you snipped wires - you removed half the current load, and now the flasher doesn't get warm enough to flash properly.  The following link is about the flasher replacement.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1598013732

The flasher is located under the fuel tank on the right side of the frame, and you can replace it with a solid state/electronic flasher and the normal flash rate will resume.

And.......you really didn't need to cut wires - everything bolted onto the Savage has a connector you can unplug.  The connectors for the turn signals are inside the headlight bucket and it only requires removing 2 screws to take the headlight out of the bucket.

The horn and front running lights all get power from the same circuit - is it possible that one of your snipped wires is shorted out?
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1294779818

Those of us who have been riding for years, and years, and years (more than 50 years for me) - understand that riding motorcycles in inherently dangerous.  It is common for folks to pull out in front of you, changes lanes when you are beside them, or turn in front of you.  Removing the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) equipment that is DOT approved and bright enough to be visible in daylight is not always a good idea.  Removing the stock tail/brake light and installing something smaller and dimmer is dramatically increasing the chances you will be hit from behind.  Removing turn signals is not legal in any state that I am aware of....installing tiny or dim units that are not easily visible is also increasing your risk.  I have ridden behind motorcycles that have small turn signals and tail lights (some LED) - and in daylight and direct sunlight I could not tell when the lights were blinking - they certainly would not get the attention of a distracted soccer mom, texting teen or senile senior citizens.  By not having functional turn signals in front you do increase your chances of being pulled over and ticketed by law enforcement officer who is not all that keen about motorcycles......or needs to get a few more tickets issued to meet his daily quota.   

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #8 - 10/11/20 at 08:07:44

Dave wrote on 10/11/20 at 04:00:21:
The flasher for the turn signals is mechanical, and designed for the load imposed by 4 working bulbs that are around 23 watts each.  When you snipped wires - you removed half the current load, and now the flasher doesn't get warm enough to flash properly.  The following link is about the flasher replacement.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1598013732

The flasher is located under the fuel tank on the right side of the frame, and you can replace it with a solid state/electronic flasher and the normal flash rate will resume.

And.......you really didn't need to cut wires - everything bolted onto the Savage has a connector you can unplug.  The connectors for the turn signals are inside the headlight bucket and it only requires removing 2 screws to take the headlight out of the bucket.

The horn and front running lights all get power from the same circuit - is it possible that one of your snipped wires is shorted out?
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1294779818

Thank you, that is genuinely helpfull. What I can't understand from looking at the wiring diagram is how the horn fits into all this? In the schematic It looks like everything is wired to everything else for some God forsaken reason. Can anyone see somewhere perhaps that could separate the horn from the turn signals that would allow it to get the proper power it needs?

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #9 - 10/11/20 at 23:38:23

Now I know why my hotrod S40 has horn and signal problems! Thanks Dave !
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
Mavigogun
Serious Thumper

We roll farther
together

Progressive Texas
Reply #10 - 10/12/20 at 04:26:29

Much thanks to both Dave and the original poster- I learned stuff I had no clue about, and at the best time- before I needed to!

d3adrock wrote on 10/11/20 at 08:07:44:
What I can't understand from looking at the wiring diagram is how the horn fits into all this? In the schematic It looks like everything is wired to everything else for some God forsaken reason.

You’ve answered the “how” already- it sounds like the horn is wired in series; I haven’t examined the schematic.   As for ‘why’, I imagine doing so economizes both expense and space- fewer circuits, fuses, connectors.

2007 LS650 s40, presently being rebuilt
  IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/12/20 at 17:55:03

One thing that seems odd, is that removing the load of the front turn signals should make the rear signals stay on or blink very slowly, not faster.
Could a wire you cut be shorted to ground or two wires be shorted together?

IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #12 - 10/12/20 at 18:01:45

the bi metallic strip inside the relay does not heat up enough to stay open, so it kind of speeds up as a result.   tbh if it were me i would still want turn signals but id hide them better.  another member here posted a nice looking headlight that the signals in the side of the bezel.  kept the clean look but still had the flashers.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #13 - 10/12/20 at 18:52:10

Guys, I don't know where YOU live, but down here in Florida I want my turn signals to be SEEN ! A tiny light might look nice in the driveway or in a picture, but if folks don't notice them they will end up smashed and mangled with your blood on them!
You might be able to say it was thier fault, but if they noticed your turn signal you might not have visited the hospital ( or worse! ) that day.
Are you building a show bike that will never be ridden but looks great, or a bike that you will ride in the real world of drivers that are doing six other things on top of driving?

Things that help other drivers see you are a GOOD thing.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/12/20 at 20:27:09

badwolf wrote on 10/12/20 at 18:52:10:
Things that help other drivers see you are a GOOD thing.

-----------

Everyone is worried about lights.  They play a part but movement is way more important.  Riding straight down the road is the WORST thing you can do.  The more you bob and weave the more you will be noticed.  It's simple and effective.  

« Last Edit: 10/13/20 at 06:13:11 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 13:01:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Turn Signals Blinking too Fast and Horn Broken

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.