Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Turn Signals Blinking too Fast and Horn Broken (Read 182 times)
d3adrock

Re: Turn Signals Blinking too Fast and Horn Broken
Reply #15 - 10/13/20 at 05:57:05

ckahleer wrote on 10/12/20 at 17:55:03:
One thing that seems odd, is that removing the load of the front turn signals should make the rear signals stay on or blink very slowly, not faster.
Could a wire you cut be shorted to ground or two wires be shorted together?

Don't think so, I tried separating all the wires and went over the harness to double check, but same thing with the weak horn I. I have a feeling that it has top do with how it's wired in series to everything else. As far as I can tell I have three options. Option 1 is to get some sort of solid state relay thingy, probably an led module to regulate my blinking, that might solve the horn issue. Option two might be to wire some resistors up to the wires where the lights were. (If anyone has any idea about what resistance I should use and how to wire it up let me know!). Option three is to rewire the horn or somehow disconnect it from being wired in series.

I'd really appreciate it if we could keep the conversation focussed on the resolving of the issue at hand and not have it turn on into a moralizing tirade of well wishing safety guides. I run the rear signals. I think that's enough to keep me safe given the way I drive. Is it optimal? No, but I'm going to do it anyways because it makes me happy. Same principle to motorcycling in general really. I've found my balance. If you've all found yours and it's different to mine then good for you! Now let me figure out how to fix my horn so I'm not even more unsafe than I've chosen to be. Thanks!

IP Logged
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Reply #16 - 10/13/20 at 18:21:37

Pretty hard to diagnose without being there, seeing the connectors and wires, and taking a few measurements.

The horn is not wired in series with anything.  It may have some common feeds to multiple functions, but it is wired in parallel, not series.  The horn does not use frame ground.  The horn switch provides ground to complete the circuit.  The horn connector always has 12v applied to it.  My wild a$$ guess is that you might have a bad ground.

The schematic I looked at is wrong.  Here is a corrected version for a 2004:
http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/2004WiringDiagpg1.jpg

What I’m suggesting is that the grounds in the turn signal lamps may have provided a lower resistance to ground for the horn.

Bob
  IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #17 - 10/13/20 at 19:07:57

BobH wrote on 10/13/20 at 18:21:37:
Pretty hard to diagnose without being there, seeing the connectors and wires, and taking a few measurements.

The horn is not wired in series with anything.  It may have some common feeds to multiple functions, but it is wired in parallel, not series.  The horn does not use frame ground.  The horn switch provides ground to complete the circuit.  The horn connector always has 12v applied to it.  My wild a$$ guess is that you might have a bad ground.

The schematic I looked at is wrong.  Here is a corrected version for a 2004:
http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/2004WiringDiagpg1.jpg

What I’m suggesting is that the grounds in the turn signal lamps may have provided a lower resistance to ground for the horn.

I think I understand. What would be the solution? Wire an extra ground to the horn from the frame?

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #18 - 10/13/20 at 19:15:40

I haven't gone through the whole thread but I assume someone has mentioned changing the blinker fluid?

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Reply #19 - 10/13/20 at 19:46:42

d3adrock wrote on 10/13/20 at 19:07:57:
I think I understand. What would be the solution? Wire an extra ground to the horn from the frame?

No.  The horn switch provides ground to close the circuit.  Wiring ground directly to the horn would have it blaring continuously.

I would simply take the turn signal GROUND wires that you cut and connect them to the frame somewhere.  If I'm right, that will provde a better ground to the horn switch.  However, make sure you know what you're doing.  Your suggestion to run a ground to the horn tells me you didn't quite understand my post and what the schematic depicts.

If you aren't sure, find someone knowledgeable that you trust to do it right.  No guarantees that is the solution, but without being there, that is my best guess.  No harm to be done, IF YOU DO IT RIGHT!

Bob
  IP Logged
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Reply #20 - 10/13/20 at 19:50:52

eau de sauvage wrote on 10/13/20 at 19:15:40:
I haven't gone through the whole thread but I assume someone has mentioned changing the blinker fluid?

Yes, blinker fluid was just changed with synthetic multi-viscosity.  That will ensure the blinker duty-cycle will be a constant no matter what the weather.  Good suggestion though!
Wink

Bob
  IP Logged
d3adrock

Reply #21 - 10/14/20 at 06:21:11

BobH wrote on 10/13/20 at 19:46:42:
d3adrock wrote on 10/13/20 at 19:07:57:

No.  The horn switch provides ground to close the circuit.  Wiring ground directly to the horn would have it blaring continuously.

I would simply take the turn signal GROUND wires that you cut and connect them to the frame somewhere.  If I'm right, that will provde a better ground to the horn switch.  However, make sure you know what you're doing.  Your suggestion to run a ground to the horn tells me you didn't quite understand my post and what the schematic depicts.

If you aren't sure, find someone knowledgeable that you trust to do it right.  No guarantees that is the solution, but without being there, that is my best guess.  No harm to be done, IF YOU DO IT RIGHT!

You're completely right,  I only barely understand the schematics or the electric principles. But I'm trying my best.

IP Logged
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Reply #22 - 10/14/20 at 06:50:53

Just make sure you positively identify the turn signal ground wire.  Connecting any other wire that you cut will short power directly to ground - not good.

Don't hesitate to get someone who knows their way around circuits to help you.

Good luck!

EDIT:BTW, this suggestion is only in regard to the horn.  The problem with the blinkers is what others have indicated.

« Last Edit: 10/14/20 at 09:17:41 by BobH »  

Bob
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 13:09:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Turn Signals Blinking too Fast and Horn Broken

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.