Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is Voter ID voter suppression/discrimination (Read 90 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Is Voter ID voter suppression/discrimination
Reply #15 - 10/11/20 at 14:21:02

But these days I think it's essential to have compulsory voting in a democracy.

So, people who have no real desire to participate, and choose to not spend the time to research people and legislative issues, who are required to go vote, and have a crappy attitude, are angry that they Must go vote, you think they are trying to vote in a manner most beneficial for the country?
You're not thinking this through..
Is it important for people to vote?
Yeah,,
But only people who want to are gonna educate themselves..
Why do want ignorant and/or angry people voting?
That's a good question,, I think..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #16 - 10/11/20 at 15:36:00

You're not thinking this through..

We have compulsory voting in Australia and how it works is that if someone is pissed off that they are forced to vote they don't vote, they just turn up have their name ticked off and that's it. Or they go into the booth and put a blank paper in the ballot.

Compulsory voting does not make people who don't want to vote, fill out a complex form correctly.

It is you who haven't thought it through. Or maybe you have and you realised that not having compulsory voting leave so many options and avenues for voter suppression.

Trump said the small print out loud when he clearly said that if everyone entitled to vote was allowed to vote the Republicans would never get elected again. And that's cirtainly true, UNLESS they modified their platform to reflect the voters' intentions. But Republicans are not for democracy obviously. Just look at Barrett, it's been 4 years and 7 months between the deaths of Scalia and Ginsburg, yet in a four year term Trump has replaced both. Not only that but Barrett is a Federalist society hack and religious nut job who represents about 30% of the US's desires.

If the electorate delivers a Senate Majority to the Democrats along with Biden, they will have a mandate to repair the US fragile almost democracy. Because the US citizens know full well that electing Biden, is not enough, they know he needs the Senate.

I predicted at the beginning of the Trump Presidency that it will be a good thing for the US long term because there will be a massive correction. The Democrats have been way too timid, but after the excesses of the Trump administration they will certainly right the wrongs, and they'll have a mandate to do it.

No one is going to forget Lindsey Graham saying, "hold the tape".

Installing Barrett because they absolutely know the voters who are already voting do not want her, is another form of voter suppression that lasts for 40 years. Which is way the GOP are willing to sacrifice their majority in order to get her on the Court.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 10/11/20 at 15:58:06

We have compulsory voting in Australia and how it works is that if someone is pissed off that they are forced to vote they don't vote, they just turn up have their name ticked off and that's it. Or they go into the booth and put a blank paper in the ballot.

Oh really?
Those are the options are they?
Casting a Bullshit vote out of spite isn't on your list?

And your not so subtle implications that I would keep people from voting are getting tiresome.
You clearly don't have a clue what kinda guy I am, or what my friends friends have looked like down through the years, or who I speak to when I'm out, you're so wrong about me it would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #18 - 10/11/20 at 16:21:50

Well I can't speak for other people but casting a vote for someone I didn't want or a party I didn't want 'out of spite' sounds kinda crazy to me.

I mean when I do vote now I don't pore over the minutae and place candidates in the order I want and who I want my preferences to flow to because I'll just tick the box that allows the party I prefer to mark it how they deem fit.

And this is pretty easy in a two party state like Australia, as it is in America. I mean most people have a clear preference for either Labor or Liberal or in the US Dems or Republicans. They say no matter who you elect you always get a politician. And if they don't like either they'll vote for a minority party or Green party.

But please tell me how 'voting out of spite' works? I really don't understand it. If you vote for who you don't want then that's just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

What I used to do to voice my displeasure at being forced to vote was usually to go to the polling place, have my name checked off then walk back out. That was good enough to not get a fine.

In the US there's too much dark money in US politics Trump claimed to clean up the swamp but the swamp is now murkier than ever with hundreds of millions now allowed to flow into super PACs without having to identify donors. This was enabled by the Supreme Court.

Yes I don't know you but I'm not really referring to you personally when I claim that the party that you prefer is a party that benefits from Gerrymandering and Voter Suppression and they also recognise that they NEED that, in order to be a minority party that calls for the overwhelming majority. I'm not naive I can see how people would selfishly want that but yet we should expect more from people with power.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 04:17:14

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Is Voter ID voter suppression/discrimination

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.