Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is Voter ID voter suppression/discrimination (Read 90 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Is Voter ID voter suppression/discrimination
10/10/20 at 13:38:10

@JoG I understand that you have a pineapple up your butt about 'what's wrong with insisting on proper voter ID. You know like a drivers license, and how can insisting on that be called 'voter discrimination' you fume.

This is how...

In 2013, the Supreme Court, in a 5-to-4 decision, struck down a key section of the Voting Rights Act, eliminating the need for a group of mostly Southern states to obtain preclearance from the Justice Department before making changes in voting practices.

The state of Alabama moved almost immediately to implement a voter identification bill that had been held up in the state legislature under Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act.

The state then closed more than two dozen driver’s license offices, a principal place for obtaining a proper ID. The offices closed were disproportionately in areas with large Black populations.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/as-trump-refuses-to-say-hell-accept-e...

Before 2006, no state required voters to produce identification. The first was enacted in Indiana and later upheld by the Supreme Court. Today, 36 states have voter ID laws, some more strict than others.

In 2012, civil rights groups filed a lawsuit against a voter ID law in Pennsylvania. In the filings, the state, in defending the law, acknowledged that there had been “no investigations or prosecutions of in-person voter fraud in Pennsylvania” and that none of the parties in the suit had any direct knowledge of investigations or prosecutions in other states.

And more attempted suppression here.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/judge-blocks-texas-governors...

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Is Voter ID voter suppression/discrimination
Reply #1 - 10/10/20 at 14:20:24

Quote:
Is Voter ID voter suppression/discrimination

No.

The arguments against it are asinine, disingenuous, and put forth by the folks who are benefited by having non citizens vote or by people who want to be able to cheat.

Any more stupid questions?

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #2 - 10/10/20 at 15:12:07

there are no stupid question, there are only stupid people.

The arguments against it as a Trump appointed Federal Judge said is that there isn't any.

The arguments against it presented in the post above which you obviously did not read, is that after requiring ID, the Republican house then proceeded to close down places where ID could be obtained. Seems pretty clear.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #3 - 10/10/20 at 16:58:22

eau de sauvage wrote on 10/10/20 at 15:12:07:
"...  Seems pretty clear.

Not even remotely close.
But what would one expect from a Drongo.

Now tell us all,
(I can’t say, “again”  because you never have answered)
Tell us all, why a, "SUBJECT”, who lives in a country which has,
NO FREEDOM, actually cares ?

Or is it that you,
just want others,
to be as miserable as you ?????

Grin
Grin
Grin
Grin
Grin
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/10/20 at 18:25:25

I've never known anyone who didn't have a photo I.D.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #5 - 10/10/20 at 19:02:23

@Mn, you can keep cutting and pasting the same thing as often as you wan't but as I said, it's too ludicrously idiotic to be able to answer. Sorry. Particularly risible coming from someone who lives in the wealthiest country on Earth and it  does not have universal health care, and calls itself a democracy when it clearly is not.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #6 - 10/10/20 at 19:04:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/10/20 at 18:25:25:

So what, you're a lucky white guy in a racist country.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 10/10/20 at 19:19:29

You're someone who believes he knows things, but is clueless.
You have no idea who I've known down through the years.
This
Racist country
Elected Obama
Twice..
Do you have a clue as to how many millionaires who aren't white exist here and are treated like royalty?
Racist,, you poor fool,, only the racist lefties actually believe that crap..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/11/20 at 05:19:21

The Stacy Abrams style voter suppression argument is nonsense. You can’t open a bank account without ID meaning you can’t buy a house without ID meaning a bank refusing a loan on such grounds would be in violation of multiple truth/fairness in lending laws. Financial institutions have rules to follow in order to avoid money laundering, terrorist setting up accounts, etc...  

You can’t get on a plane without one and perhaps the irony of ironies,  you can’t enter the Capital Building Or the Supreme Court and sit in the balcony to watch Congress or the Court debate voter ID laws. If Biden won and invited the leftist from this forum to kiss his ring in the Oval Office, you’ll need (multiple?) IDs to get in The White House.

The is the ultimate red herring argument. There are greater realities behind Voter fraud than voter ID as far as altering the results of an election.

Like Jog, I don’t know anyone without an ID or the simple means to get one.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/11/20 at 05:22:32

And, my little Australian friend, you seem to have a greater interest in the USA than most foreigners jealous of this nation. So I assume you lived here or visited here for extended period time. Are you telling me you knew people who did not have an ID and had no ability to get one?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 10/11/20 at 08:53:30

I remember reading somewhere that Australia has mandatory voting. All eligible voters are required to vote, and are subject to a fine if they don't.

If that's the case, how exactly do the authorities know if an eligible voter didn't vote and assess the penalty without some system of voter ID ?

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #11 - 10/11/20 at 13:56:07

Yes voting is compulsory in Australia. When I was younger I rebelled against and and didn't vote for decades, seeing the cynicism of politics, and not wanting to be a part of it. I managed to get away with it for a long time. I did get fined once. But these days I think it's essential to have compulsory voting in a democracy. I do not think the fines should be large and they aren't large $50 at the last count, but it's enough to get people to vote who'd like to vote but simply can't be arsed.

There is no voter fraud here. When I move somewhere and usually there are local council records of a move and if so they will send you a registration form to be on the local register. I don't know how it works, but I certainly wouldn't want to try and vote twice seeing that can end in jail time, I'm guessing. You vote and they cross you off a list.

There's simply no incentive either in Australia or the US to vote twice. Maybe a handful of dozen people might do it in 100million votes cast but that's utterly irrelevant.

In Australia there have been the occasionally dodgy ballot box and strange shenanigans, just like in America, but it's usually the right wing polititions who are implicated and if not then it favours neither side and in the end it's exceedingly rare.

Fact is for all the frothing and foaming people in authority who watch this stuff have found nothing of any consequence at all. It's vote suppression that is the big thing in America simply because you do not have compulsory voting.

Donald Trump who always says the small print out loud, said what we all know to be true, and that is that if all eligible voters were allowed to vote the GOP would never get elected. No way. And that would be true, if that were the case I guess in order to get elected the GOP would have to alter their policies to match the will of the people. Which is how it's meant to work.

But the GOP do not want to do this so they engineer Gerrymandering, and obstructionism to thwart the will of the people.

Graham Lindsay in his reversal of his opinion that they won't rush through Supreme Court judge close to an election says "as far as I can tell the president is elected for 4 years and not 31/2." However between the Death of Scalia and the death of Ginsburg, 4.7 years had passed and Trump filled both vacancies.

Further McConnell tries to now justify it by saying "this time though we have the Senate as well as the Presidency" implying that he has the will of the people.

Why rush through Barrett unless they know it's to thwart the will of the people. This is why if the people give Biden the Senate, they would not just have a right, but an obligation to increase the size of the court.

Barrett is an ideological troll. Great article on her here.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/10/amy-coney-barrett-nomination-char...

Look I do get that you lot have this fixation on the Democrats and you have your beliefs, but disagree or not, I find it impossible that you cannot see the long term damage that the feckless supine Republicans are doing to your democracy. Maybe you like the chaos and civil strife. I don't know the American psyche well enough to form an opinion on that.

But I do know that the vast majority of Americans do not share your views, even if a lot do. Barrett herself has no scruples or principles as you can see from the article I linked to.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #12 - 10/11/20 at 13:59:26

More voter suppression in Texas...

On October 1, Republican Gov. Greg Abbott issued a proclamation that allowed for only one drop-off location in each of Texas’s 254 counties, regardless of population or geographic size. Abbott cited election security as a justification for the order. But it eliminated multiple drop-off sites available for Texans; for instance, Harris County — the third most populous county in the country — had to shut 11 of its 12 drop-off sites.
https://www.vox.com/2020/10/10/21506522/texas-drop-off-ballot-locations-abbot...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 10/11/20 at 14:13:29

Yeau de sauvage wrote on 10/10/20 at 19:04:14:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/10/20 at 18:25:25:

So what, you're a lucky white guy in a racist country.

A racist country that elected Obama twice..
You don't actually believe that no white people who usually vote republican  didn't help elect him, do you?
Racists aren't everywhere. And they are certainly not limited to republicans.
The idiotic Bullshit that blacks can't be racist and whites are inherently racist is compounding the problem..
And it's as obviously not true as pretending that a man can get up one day, declare himself a Woman, put on a dress and He Is.

Can you buy an airline pilots uniform, declare yourself a pilot, put that outfit on and now you're a pilot?
Both scenarios are ridiculous.
One of them you believe.
Climate science
Settled
But sex is determined by the whims of mentally unstable people..

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 10/11/20 at 14:16:51

So you acknowledge that Australia has voter ID of some sort even though you aren't sure exactly how it works, and you are apparently OK with that.

Yet the proponents of Voter ID in the country where I live (and you don't) are the bad people,and the opponents of such a system in my country are the good guys.

That seems to be the gist of your post.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 02:29:14

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Is Voter ID voter suppression/discrimination

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.