Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Big Bore Engine - Part 6 - Test & Tune (Read 363 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Big Bore Engine - Part 6 - Test & Tune
09/22/20 at 00:23:49

This is the sixth in a series of reports outlining my big bore engine project.  Part 1 covered the cylinder.  Part 2 covered the cylinder head.  Part 3 covered the head cover.   Part 4 covered the crankcase.  Part 5 covered assembly.  If you haven’t read Parts 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5, you can find them here.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1593567475

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1595224521/0

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1596951230

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1597910972

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1598775774/0

Part 6 covers test & tune.  Now we get to see how good or bad the big motor runs.  It has a hodge podge of parts.  In Hawaii, we refer to something like this as “chop suey”.  With a hobby-lathe bore-job, piston & camshaft intended for a completely different engine,  Subaru valve springs, Honda valves & spring retainers, a wad of epoxy stuffed in the intake port, a smoke-stack for an exhaust header, and a re-plumbed muffler that looks like it came off a tractor, there’s a good chance something might go wrong.

Let’s get started.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Big Bore Engine - Part 6 - Test & Tune
Reply #1 - 09/22/20 at 00:25:36

In preparation for this bigger engine, I did a bunch of timed acceleration runs to gather baseline info for comparison.  I am now at the point where I evaluate each modification to the engine by performing three different timed runs, each in a unique location.  Those runs include one 2nd gear pull to 7500 rpm on a paved agricultural road, one 2nd gear pull to 7500 rpm on a level freeway on-ramp, and a final 3rd gear pull to 7500 rpm on a paved agricultural road.  If the 2nd gear pulls are duds, I don’t waste my time with the 3rd gear pull.  The 3rd gear pull is the gold standard.  If the modification is a success, it is very evident on that 3rd gear pull.

The 94mm engine I replaced ran good.  It has my Stage II ported head, a Wiseco piston, Web 340b camshaft, a VM38 carburetor, a K&N cylindrical air filter, a 3” flywheel, and a Mac 1.79” exhaust header with a modified LS650 muffler.  It’s best 3rd gear pull from 4000 rpm to 7000 rpm was 7.72 seconds.

The acceleration benchmark for the 97mm Big Bore is 7.72 seconds.  If it won’t beat 7.72 seconds, it’s a dog.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 09/22/20 at 00:27:07

I have concerns about heat.  The increased displacement will generate more heat.  The larger bore exposes more cylinder surface to the combustion process.  The cylinder head temperature (CHT) and oil temperature are probably gonna go up.

Anticipating this might be a problem, I installed a CHT gage and an oil temperature gage on the 94mm engine.  I observed those instruments for about 500 miles of operation and collected data under a variety of conditions.  The highest CHT observed on the 94mm was 343°F.  The highest oil temperature observed was 242°F.  The average cruising temps were 310°F (CHT) & 210°F (oil) on surface streets and 330°F (CHT) & 230°F (oil) on long freeway hauls.

I was able to find a lot of information on CHT for air-cooled aircraft engines.  The general consensus seems to be a max desireable of 400°F and a target cruising temperature of about 350°F.  Those values seem a bit high to me considering airplanes have an unlimited supply of really cold air coming off the propeller, but if it’s OK for an airplane I guess it’s good enough for a Savage.  I should also note that the engine manufacturers actually allow temps up to 500°F.

I know some of you are running CHT gages.  It would be beneficial if you could post what sort of CHT you typically observe, and exactly where your thermocouple is installed on the head.  That would be some very useful information directly applicable to the Savage.

I have several books that indicate oil temperature should run about 200 - 230°F under normal conditions, and remain below 250°F if you expect the engine to survive.  That sounds reasonable to me.  But as you can see from the 94mm data, it might be impossible to maintain 200-230°F with an engine that is stressed to a higher level.  I run synthetic oil (except for break-in) so I have a little margin.

The temperature benchmarks for the 97mm Big Bore are 350°F for CHT and 230°F for oil.  I want the Big Bore to run close to those benchmarks.  I’m willing to accept a bit more heat but would like to hold the increase to a maximum of 10°F.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 09/22/20 at 00:28:10

These are the temperature gages.

Temp_Gages_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 09/22/20 at 00:28:59

I’m reading CHT off the 8mm stud just below the exhaust port.  I’m sure this is not an ideal location since the stud penetrates the exhaust port, but it’s located in a very high region of the cylinder and most certainly one of the hottest locations on the engine.  I think it’s a good place to keep an eye on.

If any of you are running a gage connected to a head stud or the spark plug, it would be most helpful to know what sort of CHT you are running and the location of your thermocouple.

CHT_Sender_2_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 09/22/20 at 00:29:38

The oil temperature is read right off the oil gallery, so I am getting a good measurement of the temperature of the oil being fed to the engine.

Oil_Temp_Sender_2_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 09/22/20 at 00:30:15

To monitor ring seal, I installed a compound gage on the crankcase.  If crankcase pressure starts to build, I will know that the rings aren’t doing their job.  The gage connects to the alternator cover.

Crankcase_Pressure_Connection.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 09/22/20 at 00:30:56

The compound gage is liquid filled and reads both pressure & vacuum.  It can handle the vibration from the big thumper.   This shows the instrument cluster.  Air/Fuel ratio, engine speed, oil pressure (liquid filled), crankcase pressure, cylinder head temperature, and oil temperature should be sufficient to keep an eye on things.  The GoPro camera records the parameters so I can review later.

Test_Instrumentation_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 09/22/20 at 00:32:03

Installation of the engine was straight forward.  Valve clearance was set at .004” all around.

Once it was filled with oil (20W-50 API SG dino oil) and ready to crank, I primed the system and checked compression.  First, I filled the oil trough under the cam and went through a priming regimen to ensure that I had oil to the top end.  With the spark plug removed, crank ten chuffs then let the starter cool for about five minutes.  I repeated this until I observed oil pressure on the gage.   It took about thirty chuffs.

The oil pressure gage reads pressure off the top end.

Press_Tap_Clearance2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 09/22/20 at 00:32:43

Now that I knew I had lubrication, I screwed in the compression gage and cranked away.  It pumped a solid 200 psi.  I expected that would go up a bit once everything bedded in.

Compression_Post_Breakin2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 09/22/20 at 00:33:59

Since this engine is bigger, I figured I should jet-up a bit.  I installed a 220 main jet.  Everything else related to tune-up remained the same.  Same spark plug.  Same ignition timing (retarded 2°).  Same cam timing (factory marks).  Same idle mixture and speed setting.  Same slide needle position (middle groove).  Same valve lash.

The tank was topped off with 92 octane pump gas (Aloha E-10).  It fired right up and settled into a sweet idle.  Didn’t have to touch a thing.  No smoke, no unusual noise.  So far so good.

A quick lap around the block didn’t reveal anything bad.  I let it cool off and inspected it for leaks.  Looked good.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 09/22/20 at 00:36:13

The next day I started the break-in.  I break-in my engines by lightly accelerating and then chopping the throttle completely, then repeat.  It’s a constant cycle, accelerate, chop, accelerate, chop…  I’m sure it drives anyone behind me nuts, but a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do.  The plan was a solid 500 miles of that nonsense.  The hobby-lathe bore-job would need to be handled with kid gloves.  The cylinder is flimsy, and I probably didn’t have the best surface finish.  I didn’t want it seizing.

Right away things seemed on the warm side.  The oil temp and CHT came up rapidly, much faster than the 94mm.  I stuck close to home and kept the speeds low, constantly workin the throttle.  I would put about 10 miles on it and then come home and let it cool.  Everything seemed to be working well.  It was quiet.  The vibration seemed lower than the 94mm.  Then I noticed a little oil around the right rear corner of the cylinder head.

I wiped it off and took it for another short ride.  It wasn’t a fluke.  It had a leak.  Observing it running in the garage it looked like it was coming out of the area adjacent to the oil feed slot in the cylinder.

I continued to wipe it up and go for short rides.  Once I was confident that it wasn’t going to melt-down I took it on the freeway.  What a mess.  By the time I got back home oil was all over the right side.

I tried doing an air test.  I used a bicycle pump attached to the breather.  I could pump it up to 3 or 4 psi and it would remain pressurized above 2 psi for at least 15 seconds or so.  It just wouldn’t make bubbles when I applied soap solution.  Even when I continuously pumped, I couldn’t make bubbles.  Only thing I could figure was that the oil passage was full of oil, so no air was gonna bubble out.

The engine would have to come out to fix that leak, but I wanted to get it broken-in and also wanted to do some acceleration tests.  I didn’t want to drag that engine back out until I knew there weren’t other problems that needed correction.

Situations like this always bring out the stone-axe in me.  I figured I could patch the leak good enough to finish the break-in and testing.  JB Weld to the rescue.  It took several iterations and I ended up with the entire right side of the head epoxied to the cylinder, but it held good enough to start doing some serious riding.

Full_Patch_50_Miles_42.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 09/22/20 at 00:38:12

The engine started to loosen up and the temps came down a bit.  Oil pressure was fine.  Vibration levels were clearly much better than the 94mm.  It felt like it had a lot more low-end.  It started great, idled great, and pulled great.  The Web 402 cam seemed like a good fit to the head, carb & exhaust.

The crankcase pressure/vacuum was neutral throughout the 500-mile break-in.  Never went off zero.  No pressure, no vacuum.

CHT was clearly higher than the 94mm.  On long grades it was concerning.  I saw the CHT hit 360°F on a number of occasions.  Oil temp would routinely climb to 230°F but didn’t seem too much higher overall.  Once coming off a long grade I had to chop the throttle for slower traffic.  It almost felt like it started to seize.  The higher CHT wasn’t a fuel issue.  I was running way rich everywhere and the A/F meter confirmed that.

At the 500-mile mark I did an inspection.  Compression was still right at 200 psi.  That was disappointing.  I was hoping it would bump up a bit.  Valve lash was still in spec on all four valves, and the cam lobes looked good.  Even the oil was still amazingly clear.  Time to beat it up.  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 09/22/20 at 00:41:49

I spent the next 350 miles testing and tuning.  It ran best with a 210 main jet.  The 3rd gear acceleration test was not disappointing.  It ran from 4K to 7K in 6.17 seconds.  That’s an improvement of 1.55 seconds faster than the 94mm Wiseco engine.  Very gratifying.

I didn’t have any 3rd gear acceleration data for the 94mm tight-quench (TQ) engine, but I did have videos of some of my LSR attempts that showed 3rd gear operation from about 5500 rpm up past 7000.  That allowed me to time 3rd gear from 6K to 7K.  The tight-quench engine was faster than the 94mm Wiseco engine, so I thought it would be interesting to compare the 97mm to the tight quench.  BTW, the TQ engine dynoed at 41 HP.  The 97mm pulls 6K to 7K in 2.83 seconds.  The tight quench pulled it in 3.28 seconds.  The big 97mm is .45 seconds faster 6K to 7K.

Since I was in the mood for testing, I decided to see how the big engine would like a bonafide exhaust system.  I threw on a complete Mac system.  After a bit of tuning I settled on a 230 main jet.  It was a tossup between the 220 and 230.  I didn’t have the benefit of the air/fuel meter with the Mac system.  The Mac exhaust was good for another .23 seconds.  It now pulled 4K to 7K in 5.94 seconds.

I must admit, it loved that open exhaust system.  The engine really woke up (and so did my neighbors).  The mid-range was killer.  But man, that thing is just too darned loud.  Looks like I have a new project.

Here’s a look at the Mac Attack.  It’s a nice lookin exhaust, but too loud.

MAC_System_Installed2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 09/22/20 at 00:43:03

This is a look through the Mac muffler.  It has a baffle, so I’m baffled as to why it’s so loud.  If you’re lookin for horsepower, you’ve gotta be willing to accept the inevitable.  I’m not quite there yet.  I need to tame that bark and maintain the free flow.  It’s a tall order.

Mac_Core_22.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/16/24 at 02:14:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Bore Engine - Part 6 - Test & Tune

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.