Send Topic Print
Painting Header (Read 96 times)
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Painting Header
09/16/20 at 10:13:24

Anyone have any experience painting their header? I have an extra one laying around and am thinking as I have the black/silver top end on my '03' I might like to experiment with changing the exhaust color to black. I do know of header paints they sell in auto parts stores, I actually used one to paint the connector on my bike. Heat down there at end of header is not what it is at exit from cyclinder though. I have read of ceramic painting exhausts but know little to nothing about that.

Biggest concern is getting it to adhere to chrome and how well does it hold up to scratching and such. Also is it stable at the temps of the pipe, that is, if it is burning off some chemical residue under the hood of car, that's different then right below you in open air. There is a reason they advise you don't heat temper them in your kitchen oven that you use for cooking your dinner.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Painting Header
Reply #1 - 09/16/20 at 12:05:34

I took a header paintin a house once,,
Never trust a step ladder..
Hell.. Ive never even met my real ladder..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/16/20 at 12:06:17

Look into ceramic coatings..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 09/16/20 at 12:32:18

Have the pipe bead blasted to remove the chrome

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 09/16/20 at 14:45:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/16/20 at 12:05:34:

Some days man, you sound like what goes on in my head.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #5 - 09/16/20 at 18:24:10

Just wrap it with black header wrap and call it a day.
The wrap eliminates sonic resonance from the header sheath and makes the bike sound less trashy.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 09/16/20 at 20:47:46

I am going to look into ceramic painting in my area. So what I am readng from Ruttly is chrome needs a complete strip. I was hoping that a rough-up and maybe some paint might be sufficient. I posted last week that a whole Mac system is available in black for $250, including header. Would probably buy the whole thing from them and try to sell muffler to recoup some of the cost.

I have to believe that the time to strip and buy paint and do it all would make it worth just spending the money. In the end I wanted to install a slash-cut Voodoo like it currently has only in black, so I would be buying a new muffler also. I had hoped to maybe paint my muffler also, but down at the rear the temps and such were not a concern.

Doing a wrap, which would have some benefit, had consideration, but
in the end was not look I was thinking of.

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #7 - 09/17/20 at 00:58:58

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/16/20 at 12:05:34:

Jeez Jog! Grin

Hiko   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 09/17/20 at 05:10:47

I sandblasted a header and painted it with ceramic exhaust high heat paint, it was a header that I used to weld in an oxygen sensor port so I could use a fuel/air meter for jetting my carb.

I cured the paint as directed by starting the bike and only running the bike in small doses to get the paint to cure gradually - if you had a large oven it would be easier.  You can also use the sun and put the painted header in your car or a box to help with the curing.

The paint held up OK for a while - but a few times of being caught in the rain and the paint started to look bad and began to fail.

The baked on glass/ceramic coatings are far more durable.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #9 - 09/18/20 at 01:50:23

took mine to a hotrod shop and had it ceramic coated silver for $50 3 years ago. Still looks like new.
cheers! Cool

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 09/18/20 at 10:06:06

With your comment about going to a hot rod shop I had this thought of walking in just when they are prepping parts for coating in a primary color blue.  Hmmm.  Do it I say.  😎 🏍

IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #11 - 09/18/20 at 21:21:28

So I looked into ceramic coating and found a local company that seems fairly reasonable. Cost to blast header and paint was less then buying a Mac system. To do muffler was about a break even. he did say it's about 2-3 weeks, but time is not an issue as I am turning my attention in shop to the newer bike at this time.

Rode the 2011 for the past couple days for the first time in over a month and realized it needs some attention. But also that it is a whole different beast. On prolonged interstate runs found I was dailed in at about 5-8 miles faster then the older bike. It was almost like it had an extra gear then the '03'.

Looked at where I want it to go and determined it will be in shop for awhile. I have a Delkevic muffler and other add on's. maybe play with some paint on motor. Cold weather is coming and shop time goes up as temperatures and day light go down.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 15:37:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Painting Header

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.