Send Topic Print
Motor Oil (Read 338 times)
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Motor Oil
09/15/20 at 10:26:16

I read the post on oils, but it's dated back to 2012. Are there any recent recommendations on good oils with proper ZDDP levels. It sounds like there is a debate on this topic. Not trying to start a stone circle death match.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Motor Oil
Reply #1 - 09/15/20 at 10:54:49

Nothing new. If what you saw advised Rotella T4 (dino)  or T6 (synthetic), 15w40,  that's all you need to know. Been using it for 8+ years with no issue.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/15/20 at 19:46:23

You should use an oil that meets the JASO MA or MA2 standard. This will be stated on the back of the oil bottle along with other standards it meets.
The reason many recommend Rotella, is that it meets JASO MA standards and is stated on the bottle.
I checked all the oils at my local Walmart, and Rotella was the only non motorcycle specific oil that listed it met the JASO MA standard.

https://www.whitedogbikes.com/whitedogblog/choosing-the-right-motorbike-oil-w...

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #3 - 09/15/20 at 21:45:01

Good info above .... thanks!
I just discovered I should be using JASO MA2 oil as my dyna muffler is a cat converter model

Hiko   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 09/16/20 at 04:24:53

Hiko wrote on 09/15/20 at 21:45:01:
I just discovered I should be using JASO MA2 oil as my dyna muffler is a cat converter model

The Savage should not use an MA2 oil, as those have a reduced amount of ZDDP.....I believe they are down around 600 PPM.  Experience on this forum has proven you need at least a 1,000 PPM of ZDDP in order for the cam and rockers to survive.

The MA2 oils are supposed to allow the Oxygen Sensor and Catalytic converter to last longer as a result of the reduced amount of ZDDP.  Modern engines designed for the MA2 oils are built differently than the primitive Savage engine - and they can operate with the reduced ZDDP levels.

The Rotella oils have 1,200 PPM of ZDDP, and long term use by forum members has proven that it allows the engine to last a very long time.  Youzguyz rebuilt his motor at 160,000 miles and the only parts worn beyond specs was the valve guides.  The piston, cylinder, cam, rockers and other engine parts were put back in and have recently gone beyond 200,000 miles and Youzguyz is still riding the bike and adding more miles daily.

I use Rotella T6 in my Pontiac Vibe that has the original oxygen sensor and catalytic converter, and in 177,000 miles the high ZDDP level has not damaged those parts.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/16/20 at 09:01:53

[quote author=152E2334252932342F272A35460 link=1600190776/0#4 date=1600255493]Hiko wrote on 09/15/20 at 21:45:01:

The Savage should not use an MA2 oil, as those have a reduced amount of ZDDP.

Since your bike does not have O2 sensors/check engine lights, I wouldn't worry about too much ZDDP. The worst that could happen is in 100,000 miles your emissions would be the same as the rest of us Savage riders.

Rotella T6 is rated JASO MA/MA2. So I guess they are saying the oil meets MA2 standards even with a high level of ZDDP?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 09/16/20 at 09:14:20

The "cat" in a Harley muffler is really just a scrunched up bunch of metal designed to raise exhaust temps enough to burn off exhaust gases that escape combustion.
There are no chemicals or anything to damage or block in there, so don't worry about damage.
Cat friendly oils protect O2 sensors which we don't have.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #7 - 09/16/20 at 09:48:29

I interTrump if you don't mind, because I also have a question about oil. While we talk my clutch plates are soaking in petrol. So I need oil, but shell rottela is not available in the Netherlands.

I fond this:

API SN
   JASO MA2  (T903:2016)
   TYPE: Semisynthetisch
Wil it work?

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/16/20 at 10:48:26

It says it is intended for modern, high performance motorcycles. Perfect fit for a Savage.
Seriously though, you may have to do some research to find the ZDDP level.
I would go with Dave's recommendation of 1000 or more ZDDP.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 09/16/20 at 11:12:16

Castrol is great oil and  probably a good substitute. But if Rotella Is available it is your best bet and best bang for your buck. You really don’t want to start a oil war here , they are heavily armed here , they have researched this and researched it again & again. Things get ugly here quick. You better be prepared if that’s the case. May god have mercy on your soul !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 09/16/20 at 12:04:10

It says it is intended for modern, high performance motorcycles..
Which is exactly why you shouldnt use it..
The engine design on the savage is ancient.
You asked
You were sent to
Rotella
Youve been given the best advice available
Better than what the dealership would give.
People here have LITERALLY Hundreds of thousands of miles on these bikes and they KNOW what works.
Choose wisely and be ready to accept the consequences of your choices.
People who ask and choose then to argue,,
Hmmm,, I Just dont know what to think..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #11 - 09/16/20 at 13:35:32

I don't want to start a war, but it's tempting. Cheesy
I wil do my best....

And in addition .....  Kiss Rotella  Kiss is from shell and shell is a dutch company. yet strange that we cannot buy it here.

I read that  Angrycastrol Angry is nice to the coupling. that's why I came up with it.

I want  Kiss Rottela  Kiss, I will certainly not ignore your advice, it has strengthed my will. Lips Sealed

Tomorrow I'm going to call shell to see if   KissRottela  Kiss is being sold here under a different name, it is strange that such good products are not available here.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 09/16/20 at 13:48:26

Go to where Big TRucks have oil changed..
Rotella, when I first discovered it, was what I was using in my backhoe.
Avoid, like the PLag,,,Uhh, CV19,, anything with friction modifiers. Those are Fine if youre sliding on asphalt,, but not in a wet clutch.
Take with you a print out of what Rotella is and talk to them about the oils they have available.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #13 - 09/16/20 at 17:59:09

Great advice to use Rotella and it has a great track record apparently
except that it is not sold here in New Zealand even though Shell markets other oil products here.  The local Suzuki motorcycle shop recommends
Putoline another Netherlands company oil Jaso ma2 but no zinc mentioned.

I have settled for Penrite MC4st Full synthetic suitable for wet clutches and transmissions 1800+PPm zinc JasoMa rated but not JasoMA2 which is apparently not suitable for catalytic converters that have O2 sensors.

Oils for these bikes is a very confusing minefield and what is an easy choice in one part of the globe may not be in another

Serowbot thanks for the info on Harley cat converters

Hiko   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Re: Motor Oilu
Reply #14 - 09/16/20 at 19:09:14

I'm not the go to guy on this and maybe someone will say something completely contrary to this,, but what I Think I know is
Our valve train is Frikken brutal. And oils for older engine designs are more likely to be appropriate than oils for engines that use lifters.
I'd go to where truck drivers buy oil.
And hope..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 13:04:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Motor Oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.