Motor Oil (Read 338 times)
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Re: Motor Oil
Reply #15 - 09/17/20 at 01:41:31

Ten phone calls later and i,m sure Rotella is not availebele here.
It is, if you wiling to pay $55 shipping cost
Ore order a truckload.

Im pritty much convinced now, that Rotella is the way to go.
But im not willing to spent that much.

The littel spring on the tensioner is damaged

and a new one costs $25,-

And, I already had a severe case of pay muscle withdrawal spasm contraction syndrome.  Tongue

So, I am going to use Castrol.

I have found that; ZDDP is nothing more than ordinary zinc.  Huh
And I have zinc and scissors ...

Am I still on topic?

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
Seipgam
YaBB Newbies

Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Reply #16 - 09/17/20 at 04:06:52

I’m in Australia and like Hiko use Penrite with zinc added, but I use the mineral one just because it’s a little cheaper. Suitable for my Royal Enfield as well.

Geoff.

« Last Edit: 09/17/20 at 18:12:05 by Seipgam »  

2014 S40 Boulevard
1995 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
1954 Francis-Bernett Kestrel 66 122cc
  IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 09/17/20 at 08:24:40

I soaked my clutch plates in gasoline for 2 days. And man what a bummer the brown spots are swolen completely soft and I can pick them out with my nails.

Sad

IP Logged
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Reply #18 - 09/17/20 at 19:38:46

I saw a note to not talk about oil and was confused...now i get it  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 09/17/20 at 20:28:22

gtenginerd wrote on 09/17/20 at 19:38:46:
I saw a note to not talk about oil and was confused...now i get it  Grin Grin Grin

I disagree.
If friction modifiers are not good for our clutches, if insufficient ZDDP levels damage rockers and cams, If JASO MA is good for our bikes but JASO MA2 is not, these things need to be discussed on a forum like this.
I have never heard of ZDDP before reading this thread.
You helped me in choosing oil for my next oil change by starting this thread.

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 09/18/20 at 00:55:29

My plate,s returnd to normal, Oeff.

IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 09/22/20 at 12:53:49

For those who can't find oil with the proper level of ZPPD, this may work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REV-X-ZDDP-Zinc-Phosphorus-Engine-Oil-Additive-Resto...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 09/22/20 at 17:39:48

ckahleer wrote on 09/22/20 at 12:53:49:
For those who can't find oil with the proper level of ZPPD, this may work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REV-X-ZDDP-Zinc-Phosphorus-Engine-Oil-Additive-Resto...

You have to be careful withe the ZDDP additives.  Some contain Moly or other friction modifiers......and they will cause our clutch to slip.  Don't use it if the manufacturer doesn't state it is safe for use in wet clutches.

The Redline ZDDP additive is OK for the Savage and we used to recommend adding 1 oz per oil change - but the bottle would get a pink sludge in the bottom a couple of months after you opened the bottle....and the stuff could not be shaken back into suspension.

It really is better if you can find an oil that is properly blended for the Savage......adding stuff afterwards is always "iffy", and it is better if you can find a proper oil and use it without additives.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #23 - 09/23/20 at 01:28:37

It's an oil thread, who can resist.

Another Aussie here and another recomendation for Penrite. I use the Penrite HPR GAS 10, 10W50 it's a semi synth. You will notice that there is a motorcycle icon on the penrite car oil, you have to be careful because they have a lot of similar sounding names for their oils.

at the moment it's $28 for 5 Litres!

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/penrite-penrite-hpr-gas-10-engine-oil---1...

I've used it on my GS for the past 60k kms, and it's up to 76k kms and it's still on the factory valve shims and doesn't use any oil. So it's doing a good job. Just sold that bike last month.

Works good for the S40 too.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 09/23/20 at 04:36:34

Rotella is generally in the 13 to 15 dollar range..
And gasoline is around $1.65/gallon now.
Oil prices stay pretty steady, gas, up and down,, I don't get that..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #25 - 09/23/20 at 06:21:30

This year I started using Suzuki motor oil after replacing my clutch. The most noticeable difference from Rotella I used previously is the engine runs significantly quieter and with less gear noise while riding.

On my recent overnight ride I had to put in some oil and got rotella again and the engine noise and gear whine got louder again. Today I'm changing the oil and using Suzuki oil.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 09/23/20 at 06:35:01

Interesting, my engine and trans noises, and the shift change “clunk” as well softened/quieted after beginning to use ZDDP.  These bikes of ours are not clones, they are a varied group.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #27 - 09/23/20 at 06:44:54

LANCER wrote on 09/23/20 at 06:35:01:
Interesting, my engine and trans noises, and the shift change “clunk” as well softened/quieted after beginning to use ZDDP.  These bikes of ours are not clones, they are a varied group.

My engine is obviously not stock so perhaps the conventional wisdom in regards to Rotella doesn't apply to it. That oil makes my engine sound like a metal garbage can rolling down a staircase. And shifting is notchy too.

No such complaints with Suzuki oil though the price of it is cause for complaint. Worth it for quieter smoother running in my book.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #28 - 09/23/20 at 06:51:39

Yep, a quirky bunch they are.

Valvoline has a diesel oil with ZDDP in it that is comparable to T-4 and with price also on the 2.5 gal size.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #29 - 09/23/20 at 09:40:52

philthymike wrote on 09/23/20 at 06:21:30:
This year I started using Suzuki motor oil after replacing my clutch. The most noticeable difference from Rotella I used previously is the engine runs significantly quieter and with less gear noise while riding.

On my recent overnight ride I had to put in some oil and got rotella again and the engine noise and gear whine got louder again. Today I'm changing the oil and using Suzuki oil.

Which oil? I know they make more than one, right? Personally, Im not bothered by the clunk,, or gear whine,, Its what they tell me is happening inside that I could get concerned with..
But then,, I think about some of the really high mileage machines out there that have had a long history of nothing but Rotella..
Ahhh,, dangitt,, decisions decisions,,
The cost of oil per mile isnt that big of a deal,, really,, So,, as much as I enjoy buying Rotella on the cheap,, I wouldnt mind going with Suzuki, if it makes a noticeable difference. I dont even keep up with the mileage with Rotella. The regular oil check will tell me whien its time for a change. The number of miles ridden in a day and seeing the oil level drop tells me its time, usually long before 3,000 miles is passed.  If Suzuki oil holds together better and doesnt start disappearing at a half pint in a fifty mile run into and around town day at 2,000 miles, then it could be every bit as cheap as Rotella in time/filter and oil use..

Does anyone change the filter just every other oil change?
Is that stupid?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 15:48:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Motor Oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.