Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Learning new things - shaping metal by hand (Read 39 times)
Jdvt600

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Learning new things - shaping metal by hand
09/09/20 at 09:52:25

When I bought the bike I did so with intentions to learn new skills and have new hobbies. A relatively simple motorcycle with a well developed community. I love to ride, but I wanted to learn maintenance, fabrication, and whatever else came along with owning a bike.  I don't have access to a lot of tools or shop equipment so anything I do will be accomplished in my two car garage with hand tools, (mostly ones from the lower end quality store) and perseverance. I'm fortunate enough that my kids bought me an entry level welder from a box store. Other than the excitement to get back out and ride, there really isn't a sense of urgency for completing any given modification.

With that said, I've recently decided to make my own fenders. Okay, truthfully I was hoping to buy a completed one and weld'er up. The fender came from Northern Tool and I quickly realized it was way to big. So I trimmed the sides off and cut a some length off which became the front fender. In hindsight I should have probably cut down the middle, removed the excess and welded it back together.

And so with no prior experience working with metals I'm hoping to have at least a functional beta versions at some point before the end of the year. I started with a 16 gauge galvanized steel.

Here are a few "progress pictures" of where I am at today. The fenders are just mocked up on the tires.

You can see where I dented the tank when it fell. You'd think by now I'd listen to that inner voice that said,"it's not secure...".

I still have some work to do planishing and finishing. I'll probably replace the front fender with a fender brace/bracket that I will make in the future.

The noise makers

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 06:11:52

General CategoryThe Cafe › Learning new things - shaping metal by hand

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.