Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dang it’s hard to get old (Read 147 times)
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Dang it’s hard to get old
08/30/20 at 15:38:18

Spent the day assembling my S40 engine. It seems like it’s taking a long time, and things have been working against me. I finally got the piston into the cylinder. It just didn’t want to go past the oil rings. My ring compressor was all rusty from going thru the shop fire. I tried to clean it up but just didn’t feel right using it. The top two ring went in easy as pie...but the oil rings were stubborn. They would get into the chamfer at the bottom of the bore and you couldn’t tell where they needed to compress.

So I get the cylinder on but it won’t go all the way down. Couldn’t for the life of me figure out why. Parts are coming from two different engines, so things can get weird when your doing that. Finally after much swearing and a couple of breaks, I see that there is a alignment dowel in the cylinder and the crankcase hitting each other. One of them isn’t supposed to be there. Instead of two dowels there were three.

I get to the cam and chain and wrestled with that for a while. Followed the book but seemed like the chain didn’t have enough slack. Took another break and read a thread on changing cam chain. Went back to the barn and the chain popped right on  Grin

Turned the engine over multiple times and the timing lined up so good to go.

Done for today...hope to get the engine back in tomorrow.

IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Dang it’s hard to get old
Reply #1 - 08/30/20 at 18:03:52

Two thumbs up and a smile.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/30/20 at 18:40:03

It's never as easy as it should be is it.  I've rebuilt more 2-strokes than I can remember, but I really don't want to have to take this big single down.  I just want to ride.

But, sounds like you're making great progress.  Keep at it, you got this!

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #3 - 08/30/20 at 20:21:26

Thanks guys.

The big single isn’t really too bad. It’s pretty simple to work on...I’m just not as agile as I used to be and my eyesight is going to hell. Got to put my readers on to see what I’m doing but then I get dizzy when I look away.  Grin

I’ve done bigger more complicated engines. This is kind of like the Yamaha Raptor 660 engine I did a couple years ago, except that was water cooled and I had to tear it completely down because second gear was bad.

B50911F2-2D01-4269-AC1F-5FB0B23EE6CB.jpeg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/31/20 at 03:52:29

then I get dizzy when I look away.

Look away, Look away, Look away, Dizzy man.
Ohh I wish I wasnt dizzy
But I am
I amm..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 08/31/20 at 06:35:11

Sounds like Shakespeare had a beer... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 08/31/20 at 11:42:22

Yep, he tapped the keg for sure.  Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 08/31/20 at 12:42:20

Yeah,, thats bad, alright,, Sheesh,,
Sounded a lot funnier in my head,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Edub

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Arizona
Reply #8 - 08/31/20 at 15:53:39

Dennisgb wrote on 08/30/20 at 15:38:18:
Spent the day assembling my S40 engine. It seems like it’s taking a long time, and things have been working against me. I finally got the piston into the cylinder. It just didn’t want to go past the oil rings. My ring compressor was all rusty from going thru the shop fire. I tried to clean it up but just didn’t feel right using it. The top two ring went in easy as pie...but the oil rings were stubborn. They would get into the chamfer at the bottom of the bore and you couldn’t tell where they needed to compress.

So I get the cylinder on but it won’t go all the way down. Couldn’t for the life of me figure out why. Parts are coming from two different engines, so things can get weird when your doing that. Finally after much swearing and a couple of breaks, I see that there is a alignment dowel in the cylinder and the crankcase hitting each other. One of them isn’t supposed to be there. Instead of two dowels there were three.

I get to the cam and chain and wrestled with that for a while. Followed the book but seemed like the chain didn’t have enough slack. Took another break and read a thread on changing cam chain. Went back to the barn and the chain popped right on  Grin

Turned the engine over multiple times and the timing lined up so good to go.

Done for today...hope to get the engine back in tomorrow.

It sounds like you're working the problems pretty effectively, in my view.  I understand about vision; I've worn coke bottle thick glasses since I was a kid, and now they're bifocals, too!  My issue is that they won't focus when I'm trying to do detail work, so despite having more than one prescription in them, I still can't see what I'm doing sometimes.  Stay with it, man!  It's obvious you have some excellent skills!

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #9 - 08/31/20 at 16:12:58

Thanks everyone for giving your support. I am making progress.

Engine is back in the frame and bolted down. A few fun things happened. I tried to get it in from the left side and that was pretty dumb. I switched to the right side and it went much better. I use a car engine hoist with a strap to do engines and it actually works quite well. You leave slack in the strap and it gives enough movement that you can “swing” the engine in with the strap even with the frame rail.

Will button up the little stuff tomorrow and should have it running with a little luck.  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 08/31/20 at 18:19:14

Probably not the best time to say this,, and I have no idea which is less of a biteInTheAss,, But Ive heard of people layin the engine on a blanket on its side and laying the frame down..

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #11 - 08/31/20 at 21:32:55

Yes I’ve heard that for many different motorcycles. Never done it. Now I would need a hoist to get the bike back up so I just use the hoist to put it in.  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 09/01/20 at 01:18:33

I totally understand..
Not much longer and I'm gonna need a hoist to get me up.

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #13 - 09/01/20 at 13:09:55

Here’s where I’m at.

8525A689-F814-475D-9402-2231FE18DF5A.jpeg
  IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #14 - 09/01/20 at 14:23:12

Stupid is as stupid does  :'(

I put the battery box and the battery in “before” I installed the carb.

C20BE95B-460A-4217-847E-C0157A061032.jpeg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 10:45:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dang it’s hard to get old

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.