Send Topic Print
Mac Exhaust on sale (Read 316 times)
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Mac Exhaust on sale
08/30/20 at 09:05:46

Browsing the Dennis Kirk site today and saw the following clearence for Mac ehaust system, which includes a header at $250.00.  

https://www.denniskirk.com/mac/reverse-cone-exhaust-system-mac-rc-s40b.p44110...
« Last Edit: 08/30/20 at 12:33:25 by verslagen1 »  

Untitled_034.jpg
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Mac Exhaust on sale
Reply #1 - 09/03/20 at 11:53:37

I purchased one of these from Dennis Kirk in late July, 2020.  Same great price ($250).  It has a few glitches but they are easy to rectify and the price is killer good.  It's the second MAC system I purchased.  

The first I purchased from Niche Cycle (full price).  It was chrome.  I harvested the header for my modified stock muffler system.  It worked good but it was a hefty price to pay for just a header.

The second (July 2020 purchase) is black.  I will be using it to start a new high performance muffler project.  I tried the system as delivered to see how it runs.

The one I received may be an anomaly, but it had two significant fit issues.

1. The flange on the header is about 2.5mm too large.  It would not fit into the socket in the cylinder head.

2.  The muffler clamp is too small.  It would not fit over the muffler.

I cut down the flange and used a dyna muffler clamp.  The system fit perfect with those two mods.

With the MAC system, the motorcycle is measurably faster.  Timed runs show a significant improvement in WOT acceleration.  It also seems  to have much better part throttle performance.  Feels really strong at part throttle.  Taking off from a dead stop, cruising, it feels really good.

It is grossly loud.  Like it hurts my right ear.  I can't ride it without ear plugs.  Some folks like the noise, I don't.  So I will be using the MAC system as a foundation for my free flowing quiet system.

If you are into the "noise thing", this is a really good price.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Jody72

check out Ramz's
4" forward
controls on Facebook

Moses Lake, Wa. USA
Reply #2 - 09/03/20 at 20:56:52

thanks for the info on the header pipe! im with you i don't need it loud. Smiley i did have a empty muffler on at one time i could not ride it with out ear plugs  and i'm hard of hearing so much that the wife got me hearing aids. LOL

2004 21,000+ miles. center of Washington the state Smiley
  IP Logged
gtenginerd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MO
Reply #3 - 09/09/20 at 19:49:34

Why are headers so expensive compared to mufflers and why is an aftermarket better?

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #4 - 09/10/20 at 10:32:42

As far as expensive goes, there isn't a huge demand for exhaust pipes for the Savage. Smaller run quantities increase their costs and it gets passed on to the buyers.

The reason why aftermarket is better is the size. That big 2 inch factory pipe is only about 1.25 inches inside diameter. That is about the right size for a 250 single, and too restrictive for a 650 single. Aftermarket pipes are much bigger inside, as much as 1.79 inches ID for the MAC.

IP Logged
Jdvt600

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/03/20 at 06:33:53

Thanks for posting @soc. I just ordered mine now. I wasn't planning to do an exhaust change but given its on clearance, decided to put the other mods on hold and pick one up

@dragbikemike how did you trim the flange down? If mine is also too large I assume a dremel would work?

Does anyone know if this comes with a new heat shield like the one directly from MAC?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 10/03/20 at 07:17:24

Jdvt600 wrote on 10/03/20 at 06:33:53:
Does anyone know if this comes with a new heat shield like the one directly from MAC?

No, it doesn't.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 10/06/20 at 06:23:48

I just ordered one - the website showed there is only one more left.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 10/06/20 at 13:18:16

jdvt600, I cut the flange down using a hole cutter mage by General.  I did it by hand (no drill).  Took all day.  Had to make a plug to keep the hole cutter centered.  I suspect that the job could also be accomplished with a grinder or a large course file.  Just have to be careful.  Use a block of wood with a 2" hole (split down centerline) to hold the header pipe in a large vice.

Hand_Tool_Cut_12.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 10/06/20 at 13:20:51

This shows the wooden holder.  It allows you to hold the pipe without scratching it up.  Of course you don't want those metal chips in there when you place the wooden holder around the pipe.

Exh_Header_Holding_Fixture_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 10/06/20 at 13:25:19

The finished flange came out pretty good.

Flange_Finished2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 10/06/20 at 13:25:55

How did you get the room to spin?   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 10/06/20 at 13:29:40

If you are talking about the heat shield adjacent to the footpeg, it did come with the fabricated contraption made out of bar stock.  I don't care for that primarily because I know I will somehow manage to get my shoe through it and melt the sole onto the header.  I just used the stock heat shield.

Heat_Shield_Fit2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 10/06/20 at 13:33:51

There's no way that the supplied clamp was gonna fit the muffler.  It didn't even come close.  It's a top quality clamp, just too small.

Clamp_Too_Small2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 10/06/20 at 13:40:44

"How did you get the room to spin?"

Versy I'm not sure I understand your question.  I inserted the cutting tool in the plug, then turned the cutting tool with my hands (actually I placed a wrench on it).  It was arduous.  The cutting edge on the tool bit was plunging straight into the face of the flange, kind of like a part-off bit.  Had to resharpen the bit several times.  I was sore for two days after this job.  Tongue

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 08:24:33

General CategoryThe Marketplace › Mac Exhaust on sale

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.