Send Topic Print
Savage Dual Sport (Read 348 times)
Wez
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Savage Dual Sport
08/21/20 at 13:20:25

Hello Everyone!  Excited to be a new Savage 650 owner.  Father / Son project underway.  My son is showing great promise and will likely make a great Engineer / Technician someday.  The plan is to get him used to angle grinders, toque wrenches, welding, electrical work, schematic reading and all electro-mechanical knowledge.

When I get home, I'll identify what year this savage is but it was given to me free.  The plan is to make a dual sport / dirt bike that's register-able and dirt friendly.  My nighthawk 750 is not cutting it.  Too heavy.  The plan is to acquire a mono shock dirt bike frame and chop, cut and rebuild it to the Savage it should have been from the factory.  

My son sat there last night with me for a few hours clearing the basement and preparing the frame/wheels for concept ideas.  He saved my back a lot of ache and even sat down to look at inspiration images.  it's already starting to work

« Last Edit: 08/22/20 at 12:00:42 by Wez »  

IMG_20200820_195151131.jpg
  IP Logged
Wez
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Savage Dual Sport
Reply #1 - 08/21/20 at 13:28:58

Just need to figure out how to post pictures.  

[img][/img]

The above code is displayed, but the images are not uploaded in between the string....

Local vintage motorcycle shop has a junk yard full of vintage dirt bikes.  I already found a mono shock Suzuki dirt bike roller!  He wants $200.  I think thats steep....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/21/20 at 14:50:30

Used to be a you tube of some crazy dude with what looked like a stock Savage out in the dirt doing things that I would have thought impossible..
Hoppin logs, just crazy stuff,,
He Wants $200.00
Might accept less,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #3 - 08/21/20 at 16:45:48

Wez, love the father/son plan for a Savage. My son and I have done a number of those over the years and it's wonderful. It was great to see his confidence grow while I was able to slowly step back and defer to his increasing skill development. A great opportunity for that father/son relationship.
Keep us posted and as always, we love the pics.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #4 - 08/21/20 at 18:23:26

I can remember ''helping'' my dad work on the trucks in the winter south of Buffalo. I would be stomping my feet and flaing my arms trying to keep warm, and he would be cleaning a wheel bearing in a tray of gas with his bare hands! After he retired he would ask me to help him, and goof things up on pourpose so I would take over and he could just watch.
Once I rode up from Fla. on my gold wing, and as I was taking off my helmet he wants me to fix his baler! Five minutes later I was on my back welding a broken needle back together with the thing full of dry hay. When I told him to get a bucket of water, he said ''Why?'', I said in case this thing catches on FIRE!
When I was working with a guy's Clydsdales and needed a hand for a week, I pulled in and told mom to pack him some clothes, he was going to be driving one of the semis and some horses. I'll never forget his face the first time he got to drive the six and eight horse hitch.
Yea you never forget some bonding expernces with your father.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/21/20 at 18:41:10

Wez wrote on 08/21/20 at 13:28:58:
Just need to figure out how to post pictures.  

The above code is displayed, but the images are not uploaded in between the string....

Local vintage motorcycle shop has a junk yard full of vintage dirt bikes.  I already found a mono shock Suzuki dirt bike roller!  He wants $200.  I think thats steep....
-----------

$200 for a roller is cheap, not steep!  Try and buy a set of wheels along with front and rear suspension for that.

As for pictures...

They need to be hosted to be used with the image tags.  The advantage is you can post as many pictures as you want with the image tag.  The disadvantage is that if you're not paying for the hosting service, they can decide to not allow them to be used on outside sites.  Photobucket did this and we have a lot of posts on here that no longer have pictures.

A better option in my opinion is to attach your photos to your post by uploading them with the "Choose File" button.  You can only attach on file per post, but once posted, you can use them with the image tag.  The best part is that they will then be hosted on suzukisavage.com and will be available as long as this site is here.

This picture (not mine) was attached to another post, so now it can be used with the image tag:

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #6 - 08/21/20 at 22:35:51

That should be a fun project.  

"The plan is to acquire a mono shock dirt bike frame and chop, cut and rebuild it to the Savage it should have been from the factory. "  

I think you might not know about the bike Suzuki did make called the DR650 and DRZ400.  I think that probably is what you will be aiming to mimic.

I think the father and son project is totally worth it and will be a blast.  Sounds like you guys have a good jump on it.

edited: I sounded to much like a wise arse

WWW   IP Logged
Wez
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/22/20 at 12:11:52

Thank you guys for sharing those great father son memories.  Never thought dawned on me that sometimes it's those simple memories.  Thx badwolf  Wink  Thanks for the image upload explanation also.  I'll keep the images rolling in.

My son removed the rear springs after listening to me babble on about suspensions, angles, ideas and a bunch of bench racing.  He now knows what a "mono shock" is vs a "dual shock" system.  Very good.  He used his first adjustable wrench too.  

The first early lessons are hard, but he sees the benefits when he gets it right.  For example, I had to yell at him to get up off his a$$ and reposition himself so he could use the adjustable correctly.  When he finally got up off that stool......(he loves sitting in that thing), in position, he set the adjustable so it was snug.  OMG did we ever have a BLAST with righty, tighty, lefty loosy!!

He was messing that up all over the place.  Also, he learned that it only applies, [ when facing the bolt ]  Grin Grin Grin  When I came back downstairs, he was all frustrated, tightening and loosening the bolt back and forth.   Grin But he learned really fast when he had the correct explanation, I was impressed.  Hes sharp

I love this stuff....
« Last Edit: 08/22/20 at 13:16:48 by Wez »  

IMG_20200822_144015511.jpg
  IP Logged
Wez
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/22/20 at 13:01:00

Ill do some more cleaning and get the work area better.  

I guess $200 isnt too much to ask, but this old guys has the holy grail of vintage bikes.  I mean, over 200 vintage dirt bikes just rotting in this field of vines. He's 86.  Wife thinks I should buy the place...
The kid was excited over the idea to walk back there so the plan is.....

Bring my son and have him negotiate with the old man and see if that helps.
My son does get straight A's but he still needs to learn some other lessons.

What should I be looking for?

This is the $200 roller that has my attention.  It has a heavy duty front and rear suspension.

PROBLEMS..

The rear swing arm mounts on the inside of the sub frame and the Savage swing arm mounts external to the frame.  This makes me think this rear sprocket will be misaligned with the Savage motor sprocket.

Otherwise, I think I can blend the two frames and make a nice naked, dual sport dirt jumper wheelie stunt bike.

IMG_20200821_123810428.jpg
  IP Logged
Wez
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/22/20 at 13:20:26

Inspirational Image

Screenshot_20200821-001615_1.png
  IP Logged
Wez
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/22/20 at 13:36:35

Kawasaki donor?

IMG_20200821_122522851_1.jpg
  IP Logged
Wez
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/22/20 at 13:40:28

This Honda donor looks cool.  Not sure if it's a disc brake but it should cost less with no matching wheels.  I do like how the Mono Shock has a more standard mounting system.  The swing arm also looks like it can be separated and mounted externally if that's even an option....

IMG_20200821_123103334_1.jpg
  IP Logged
Wez
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/22/20 at 13:44:49

Something like this?

IMG_20200821_122937430_1.jpg
  IP Logged
Wez
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/22/20 at 13:48:28

Ennie Meenie Minie Moe

IMG_20200821_122744845_1.jpg
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/22/20 at 14:58:53

Check this thread out:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1494544603/15  and then google "Droog Moto LS650"

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 21:22:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Dual Sport

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.