Send Topic Print
Savage Dual Sport (Read 348 times)
Wez
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Savage Dual Sport
Reply #30 - 09/03/20 at 07:12:15

I think what most of you guys are saying is there are plenty of ways to skin a cat.  And some of your suggestions are 100% correct for being easier.  It's just I have some limitations.  I don't own press brakes or those English wheels I think they're called.  So old school chop and cutting here.  I  plan to slide solid steel rod between the two frame joints.  Also drill holes into the ends of the hollow tube near the joint to catch the internal solid steel rod.  As long as I get that solid rod to overlap nicely into the frame on both sides, it should be strong as balls.  Especially after I weld up the joints and add filler welds into the holes to access the inner rod.  Should be Gucci.  

Can someone please chime in on the front and rear sprocket alignment?  I have never done something like this but I imagine I need the front sprocket that will be used.  Install it, i can use the chain from my 750.  But the rear half will have to be mocked up determine how the joining will need to be accomplished.  Hopefully it's close and can be solved.

IP Logged
Wez
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 09/03/20 at 07:19:34

We also removed the air box last night.  My sons friend was over and I had them both in the basement working.  I should of took a picture...dang it! At any rate, we covered the importance of returning bolts back into the threads of disassembled components.  It saves time and money.  Otherwise well bag a tag the hardware.  When you reinstall the hardware into the threads where they were removed, you can come back to the parts and not have to worry about where the mounting hardware is.  Sometimes small details make a big difference.

This kid is almost as tall as me at 12

IMG_20200820_211842741.jpg
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 09/03/20 at 11:12:53

You never know if a it's a good plan until you try it!  (And sometimes we know it's a bad plan an try it anyways.   Smiley )

I would take the pegs and rear brake pedal with the rear suspension.  I think the hardest part is that the swing arm bolt should go through the back of the engine.  The engine adds a lot of strength t to the frame by design.  

IP Logged
Wez
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 09/03/20 at 13:49:36

ohiomoto wrote on 09/03/20 at 11:12:53:
You never know if a it's a good plan until you try it!  (And sometimes we know it's a bad plan an try it anyways.   Smiley )

I would take the pegs and rear brake pedal with the rear suspension.  I think the hardest part is that the swing arm bolt should go through the back of the engine.  The engine adds a lot of strength t to the frame by design.  

Love the second half of that quote!  The frame has what it has remaining on it.  Maybe he'll throw in some small parts if I can search them out.
He'll definitely want the whole $200 at that point.  Didn't even think about that linkage.  Hopefully the small details can be ebayed.  Idealy the rear will get a disc conversion if possible...Thanks for that piece of information about the swing arm bolt also mounting the engine.  What I'll do next is install the engine into the frame and see if this can really be done.  That piece of info actually might make or break this project.  If the swing arm bolt does not line up with the engine mount then I'll look into fabricating a new way to install motor mounts.  If that's the biggest hurdle, then this  is starting to look better.  Thanks ohio!

IP Logged
Wez
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 09/03/20 at 13:58:20

Found this image from member grail21

Maybe I can see what he did for the rear motor mount....

Savage_Jan_13_08_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 23:17:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Dual Sport

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.