Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Big Bore Engine - Part 4 - Crankcase (Read 147 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Big Bore Engine - Part 4 - Crankcase
08/20/20 at 01:09:32

This is the fourth in a series of reports outlining my big bore engine project.  Part 1 covered the cylinder.  Part 2 covered the cylinder head.  Part 3 covered the head cover.   If you haven’t read Parts 1, 2 or 3 you can find them here.

[http]://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1593567475[/url]

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1595224521/0

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1596951230

Part 4 covers the crankcase.  About eight-months ago, I purchased a 1997 crankcase assembly on eBay. I wanted to build new engine combinations without putting my bike out-of-commission.  Then it’s plug & play, pop out the old engine and plug in the new one, rock & roll.

I didn’t do any modifications to the lower end, but I did open it up to fix a leak and inspect a few things.

Let’s get started.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Big Bore Engine - Part 4 - Crankcase
Reply #1 - 08/20/20 at 01:10:29

The new crankcase assembly looked fairly good.  Nothing got damaged in shipment.  The seller removed the alternator rotor, drive pulley, and cylinder studs and sent those items in a separate box.  I temporarily installed the parts for this photo.

Short_Block_1.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 08/20/20 at 01:11:09

It didn’t come with a clutch, but I already have one of those.  I had a junk cylinder all freshly bored out, and my original cylinder head that was modified to Stage III specs.  All the major stuff necessary to build the 97mm was in-hand.

Short_Block_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 08/20/20 at 01:11:56

I threw on a shift lever and ran it through all five gears.  Seemed to be working fine.  No problem finding neutral.  The transmission seemed OK.

Gears_Shifting_1.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 08/20/20 at 01:12:42

Visual inspection of the accessible gears didn’t reveal any ugly stuff.  The crank and connecting rod looked OK, and there wasn’t any noticeable play.  Things seemed clean enough on the inside.  There were a few chunks of soft crud, but I could flush those out.  I was tempted to leave it as-is and slap on the cylinder & head.

Short_Block_3.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 08/20/20 at 01:13:45

I had seen several posts about the case joint leaking, so I decided to test it.  I put on a clutch cover and alternator cover, filled it up with three quarts of cheap SuperTech oil from Walmart, and let it sit overnight.

I checked on it several times.  No leaks.  Dry as a bone.  Then, after about 30 hours, I went to move the crankcase on my bench and noticed a small puddle of oil.  Yep, she’s leakin.  Oil was coming out of a mount-bolt hole.  Should I fix it or see if I can stop the leak by installing an engine mount-bolt?  I dwelled on that for a while.

Then an interesting post showed up on the forum.  BlakeEM had a slight problem with balancer shaft timing.  The pin in the drive gear had backed out and resulted in a catastrophic failure.  Now it seemed prudent that I peek inside.  I didn’t know the history on this engine, so I decided to inspect the balancer drive and fix the leak at the same time.

Ooooooooo!  That’s ugly.  See the pin hangin out there?  Blake didn’t even need to tear the engine apart to get a look-see.

BlakeEM_Balancer_Failure_13.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 08/20/20 at 01:14:37

Start by popping off the alternator rotor.  More on the special tool in my next post.

Rotor_Removal_52.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 08/20/20 at 01:15:21

The key for the alternator rotor prevents removal of the starter drive gear.  That little sucker (the key) is tight.  If you start prying on it, you run a good risk of marring the critical taper on the crankshaft.  I found a good way to remove the key is to tap it straight in toward the drive gear using a drift punch.  You don’t have to tap it very hard, just straight toward the gear and it scoots right out of the keyway.  Wrap the key with tape so you don’t lose it.

Key_Removal_32.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 08/20/20 at 01:16:05

If you don’t tape the key it will fly off and you could lose it, or worse yet, it could drop out and find its way into the engine.  Be safe, tape it off.

Key_Removal_42.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 08/20/20 at 01:16:45

For the inspection and repair I was planning, the flywheel did not have to come off, but I wanted a 3” flywheel for my monster motor.  To remove the flywheel nut, you need an extra deep 46mm socket.  Those are hard to come by.  I have a special 1-7/8” socket that I fabricated for removing Harley Davidson drive pulley nuts.  It is just a bit too big.  To dial it into the Suzuki flywheel nut I made a .030” sheet metal insert that slips into the socket.  It fits just right.  Also note that the end of the socket has been machined to remove the internal chamfer on the hex.  That’s to improve the amount of overlap on the ultra-thin nut.

Flywheel_Nut_Socket2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 08/20/20 at 01:17:23

The insert was easy to make, so if you can find a deep 1-7/8” six-point socket all you need is some .030” steel sheet metal.  I suspect a 1-13/16” deep socket will work without the shim stock.

Flywheel_Nut_Socket_Insert_12.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 08/20/20 at 01:18:00

Hold the flywheel with a fixture like this.  It’s just a couple of steel bars, two spacers, and two M8 x 1.25mm bolts.  While this tool is in place, it’s a good time to remove the primary drive nut on the right side of the crankshaft.

Flywheel_Nut_Removal_22.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 08/20/20 at 01:18:40

That flywheel nut is tight.  The torque spec is 115 ft-lbs.  I use a pipe wrench on the socket to preload the system and then blast it with a rattle-wrench.  It takes a lot of force to break it loose.

Flywheel_Nut_Removal_Rig2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 08/20/20 at 01:19:21

After the flywheel was off, I threw it in the lathe and turned it down from 6.528” OD to 3.000” OD.  That takes a long time and makes a big mess.  The mod reduces the weight from 6 lbs. 0.2 ozs to 14.8 ozs.  It’s a lot of weight, all rotating mass.

Flywheel_Mod_3_Inch_32.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 08/20/20 at 01:23:05

While the flywheel holder is in place, you should remove the primary drive gear nut (left hand threads) and the balancer shaft bolt (right hand threads).  Be careful, the primary drive gear nut has left hand threads.  Don’t turn it the wrong way.  To loosen, turn the nut clockwise.  The balancer shaft bolt is regular right hand threads.

Cranckcase_RH_Primary_Nut_markup3.png

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 00:34:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Bore Engine - Part 4 - Crankcase

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.