Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help Please will not start after head plug change (Read 82 times)
steitsma
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Help Please will not start after head plug change
08/15/20 at 09:59:20

Hello, please help.  I bought a 96 that was leaking oil bad from head plug with 7000 miles.  Followed walkthrough and replaced plug.  I made sure to set to TDC compression stroke before cylinder head went back on.  Carb is cleaned, fresh gas and new plug as well.  Valve clearance within spec.   I try to start and just cranks then sputters for 2 pops then cranks.  I did a compression test and disconnected the decomp solenoid.  What's odd is that it will crank a few times with nothing building up then another few cranks will build up to 160 PSI.  It does not build up pressure with each crank as I am used to with other bikes.  Can anyone shed any light as to what may be wrong or what I may have over looked?  

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Re: Help Please will not start after head plug cha
Reply #1 - 08/17/20 at 16:38:55

Won't get answered in the 'technical/ref' section, you  need to post this in Rubber Side Down section. Or wait till it gets moved.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/18/20 at 07:35:36

I would try a little either.
Hard starting after some work is not uncommon.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/18/20 at 09:30:30

If youve been grinding on the starter with no Joy
Time to charge the battery
Itll turn over okay, even when the battery voltage is too low to fire the Sparky makin box,,

That isnt to say
Ether is not a good thing to have when youre havin problems gettin an engine to light off,,

I use it often when Im firing something up..
Just know,, Ther Is a Too Much,, Start small,, monitor battery voltage when the starter is spinning,,
Someone will surely offer the minimum votage that fires the plug,,
I dont remember

And, If the carb bowl is empty and youre not using Prime,, Its not gonna start gettin gas for a long time.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 08/18/20 at 16:02:18

Steitsma, can you please clarify a few things.

"I made sure to set to TDC compression stroke before cylinder head went back on."

Did you remove the "cylinder head" or just the "head cover"?  Note that you should not have to remove the cylinder head to change the leaky plug.

"I did a compression test and disconnected the decomp solenoid."

How did you "disconnect"?  Did you unplug the wire connector or unhook the cable to the decomp lever?

Did you remove the camshaft?  You should not have to remove the cam or tamper with cam timing to change the leaky plug.

Other than the oil leak, did it run OK before you started the repair?

Let us know more about exactly what you did so we can better evaluate your problem.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
steitsma
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/18/20 at 19:23:40

Thank you for your time. Yes it ran when I got it. All I removed was the head cover. Did not take cam chain or tensioner off. When head cover was off I set to TDC lining up the marks on the cam and the crank (cover was off).  Put back together and will not start even with ether. Will get a pop or two then just cranks.  The compression test I disconnected decomp plug, throttle wide open and does not build pressure with each crank.  Goes up a little then flatlines for a few cranks then up again to 160 psi. It’s like the timing is off but no idea how that happened.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/18/20 at 21:35:19

Goes up a little then flatlines for a few cranks then up again to 160 psi.

Its a four cycle engine
Intake compression power exhaust
The engine is spinning
the pressure gauge wont see anything noteworthy untill
Compression,,
160? IDK idk if thats good or bad
It WONT START, No matter what ya do
IF the Battery is NOT Hot,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 08/20/20 at 01:05:05

OK, so it was running before you opened it up and you didn't tamper with the cam or cam chain.  That would indicate that the cam timing is correct or at least close enough to run.

Your compression pressure of 160 psi is certainly in the ball park.  It's normal.  But your description of how the pressure builds seems unusual.  It should be a nice pump at evenly spaced intervals, with the amount of buildup decreasing gradually until it flatlines.  First pump like 100 psi, second pump 130 psi, third pump 150 psi, fourth 155 psi, fifth 160 psi, 6th,7th, 8th flatline.  What you describe could possibly be an indication of valves hanging open (but seems to me it should start).  Double check the valves by placing the engine at TDC compression and making sure you can move the rocker arms to the right with your fingers.  You should be able to push the rocker a bit to the right and it should spring back to the left when you release it.  This is like a five-minute job.

Have you tried using a jumper battery?  JOG mentioned that it won't start if igniter voltage drops below 10V.  Hook up a jumper battery and see if it starts and runs.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 11:46:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help Please will not start after head plug change

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.