Send Topic Print
Handlebar question? (Read 52 times)
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Handlebar question?
08/09/20 at 21:17:29

So as many know I have 2 Savage/S40's. I have an "03" with mods, and a stock at this point, 2011. My "03' originally had the buck horn handle bars, I replaced them with a pair of Highway Hawk window drag bars on original risers. The OEM buckhorns had solid steel rod welded internally from the ends. This made, I suspect, the bars stiffer and heavier and ultimately smoother feeling when riding at high speed on intersate type roads.

My 2011 definetely feels smoother at speed, does anyone know if the drag bars on the higher risers on this bike also have the rod stock welded in internally? It's more about curiousity now then anything else, but I will be working on the newer bike soon. It just feels more solid at 65-70 mph and I am thinking the dampening of the solid rod in the bar ends is why that is so.

Adding internall rod on after market bars is not all that complicated, does anyone have experience with this? What are thoughts?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Handlebar question?
Reply #1 - 08/09/20 at 22:24:08

the rod is welded in by drilling a hole thru the handlebar and welding the hole closed on both ends.

WWW   IP Logged
ckahleer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/10/20 at 07:36:30

I got wood plugs from Lowe's and hammered them about 5" deep into the handle bars. Melted down large fishing sinkers in a frying pan and pored the molten lead in.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/10/20 at 07:52:39

I think the weights are there to reduce vibrations...
Intruder 800's have end weights that would bolt on your drags if you want.

Maybe your 11' model has a tighter steering stem nut?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #4 - 08/10/20 at 13:30:03

SoC wrote on 08/09/20 at 21:17:29:
... does anyone know if the drag bars on the higher risers on this bike also have the rod stock welded in internally? ...

Yep, the stock drag bars on the later S40 have the weights in them, and yes, they dampen the vibration.

I've tried a few different bars on my bike, without risers. The 'Z' bars, which had a six inch rise, had the least vibration. The 'Superbars' vibrated so much that my fingertips went numb and white, at higher speeds.

Putting weights in the ends of my bars is on my list of mods.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 06:22:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Handlebar question?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.