Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Blind spot detection for motorcycles (Read 92 times)
SpamyToo

Blind spot detection for motorcycles
08/05/20 at 04:03:36

Im curious what you guys think of these systems?  I have my own opinion but Id like to hear yours.

https://youtu.be/HlwozjnsgOQ

https://motorcycleblindspot.com/collections/frontpage/products/motorcycle-bli...

These systems go for quite a lot.  Ive had a relationship with this company throughout the years and they are curious if I want to incorporate the BSD system into my dcmotive gauges.  The combined price would be much more reasonable than what these places are charging.

I can see why some would definitely not use them, but I can also see why some people dont mind having more safety features.  Some people refuse to wear a full face helmet, others only will use them. How do you view a BSD system?

« Last Edit: 08/05/20 at 09:22:58 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Blind spot detection for motorcycles
Reply #1 - 08/05/20 at 04:22:38

All of these systems can help - but my fear of them is folks become too complacent and stop relying on their own senses to help keep themselves and others safe.

My sister bought a newer car a couple years ago, and it was her first car with a back up camera.  The system not only shows you what is behind, it also has an audio signal that beeps when she is getting close to bumping into something.  One day she backed into her sons car that he had parked in the driveway behind her - something went wrong and the audio signal had stopped working.....she had become so reliant on the system she stopped looking and just listened for the alarm signal.  She did not look to see if anyone was parked in the driveway when the door came up, and she did not look at the backup camera - she just relied on the beeper to keep her safe.

The other issue I have with the blind spot detection is that although it does show you "when" somebody is beside you - it doesn't tell you when somebody is coming up quickly and "will" be in that spot by the time you get moved over there.  If you begin to rely on the light or beeper and you don't look in your mirror and see the car/truck/motorcycle that is coming up in that lane at a much faster speed than you are driving - you can very easily change lanes and cut somebody off.  Some people become too complacent and rather that use the new technology in a way that makes them safer - they use it is a way that is more dangerous to themselves and others.  Distracted driving hurts more people than drunk driving!  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 08/05/20 at 05:36:44

I rely on the collision avoidance system that I was born with; a head and eyes with articulation. Anything else is just an additional data point for my on-board computer.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 08/05/20 at 06:43:54

I'm with Gary. It's much cheaper to use your neck to turn your head. No batteries to charge or change and you will never forget it and leave it at home. Shocked

Old sckool Thumpin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 08/05/20 at 07:20:21

Dave wrote on 08/05/20 at 04:22:38:
All of these systems can help - but my fear of them is folks become too complacent and stop relying on their own senses to help keep themselves and others safe.

Before I read down, Dave's was precisely the same response I was forming.

Nothing replaces sensibility and full accountability of the rider. Even when I was taking flying lessons where we were way up in the air in the middle of nowhere over cow fields where you aren't usually going to get cut-off by another plane (unless you are doing something REALLY stupid) it is still procedure to look and do full 360 degree clearing turns to make sure there is no one in or around your flight path before practicing stalls, steep turns and other procedures. The planes have radios, GPS, radar (some), and other collision avoidance gadgetry but that NEVER absolves the pilot in command from performing the manual clearing turn procedure.

I just don't trust electronics as much as I do common sense.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/05/20 at 09:28:54

some people will get this just for the haptic alert   Grin
Quote:
LCA (Lane Change Alert)

LCA is activated when the turn signals are used to make a lane change
The warning zone of the system covers left and right adjacent lanes that would not allow for a safe lane change
LED indicator lamps will flash to notify the rider of a vehicle in the blind spots during lane change, in addition to haptic feedback to the seat to ensure confirmation of the condition. This will reduce accidents due to missed vehicles

I'd rather have ABS.
I'd rather have a fuel gauge.
I'd rather have tubeless tires w/pressure monitoring.
I'd rather have... it's rather long list and this is probably near the end.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 08/05/20 at 09:50:27

verslagen1 wrote on 08/05/20 at 09:28:54:
some people will get this just for the haptic alert  

Yep...Ruttly would be riding in the center lane with cars in his blind spot 100% of the time, with the occasional dropping back and speeding up to give him some intermittent pulsing action  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 08/05/20 at 14:40:42

Very seldom do I ride in traffic and when I do it usually I'm ahead of the traffic. Depending on electronic gizmos isn't real smart just one more thing taking your attention away from the road. However I do like that 2 camera recording system but not very likely it's gonna get installed on the tracker. Ride smart,stay alert,stay focused,stay alive its just that simple. Riding is a pure experience not to be polluted with digital crap bolted to your handle bars , the whole idea of riding is to get away from all that crap and RIDE ! You and the bike and the road and hopefully it's a long winding backroad !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #8 - 08/05/20 at 18:29:47

Just thinking this is a good idea, is a dead giveaway that someone is an inexperienced motorcyclist and is a red flag that the person needs to understand that motorcycle safety is only up to the brain of the rider.

For a start there is not such thing as a blind spot for a motorcyclist on a normal naked bike especially where you are fairly upright. If you turn your head you can see everything.

Secondly you should be constantly glancing in your mirror anyway. If you're in traffic then it's obvious that you do not do any maneuver at all until you've turned your head and know exactly what is around you. The only place where I cannot see a car near me from my mirrors is when it's almost beside me, in which case I barely have to turn my head to check, I mean why wouldn't you.

It's the bike that has to be aware of when they are in another vehicle's blind spot not the other way around.

This is not a 'safety feature'. However I have a headlight modulator on my bike, that modulates the front headlight at 4 times per second. I've never seen another bike on the road with that, and it is a genuine safety feature, especially in bright glaring sunshine. Doesn't stop everyone from pulling out in front of you, but it does make some people think twice. Of course you don't rely on it, but at least it's not completely useless.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #9 - 08/05/20 at 21:08:26

I like having it on my cars, but I still use my eyes as the primary source of information.  The blind spot system simply enhances my information. I think it's a good thing.

For me, I just don't want the complexity.  Outside of my lawnmower and bicycles, my motorcycle is the most mechanical thing on wheels I own.  It's a simple machine and I like it that way.  

(BTW, open face helmet guy here.  lol)

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #10 - 08/06/20 at 02:50:35

Expensive stuff, although I shoulder check quite a bit, I also find shifting a little sideways in the seat and hard to describe sort of moving my head slightly does give an enhanced view in the mirrors, this is on a pretty much stock bike. Also, how much more strain will this installation put on a not so powerful electrical system, the techies mat know more than me.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Zepp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/06/20 at 12:31:38

SpamyToo wrote on 08/05/20 at 04:03:36:
Im curious what you guys think of these systems?  I have my own opinion but Id like to hear yours.

https://youtu.be/HlwozjnsgOQ

https://motorcycleblindspot.com/collections/frontpage/products/motorcycle-bli...

These systems go for quite a lot.  Ive had a relationship with this company throughout the years and they are curious if I want to incorporate the BSD system into my dcmotive gauges.  The combined price would be much more reasonable than what these places are charging.

I can see why some would definitely not use them, but I can also see why some people dont mind having more safety features.  Some people refuse to wear a full face helmet, others only will use them. How do you view a BSD system?

Do turn your head  around and look in your mirrors!
Get any safety gismos you want, bur dont stop turn your head watching all cars around you!

Buye any gismos you can, but dont stop turning yuor head around!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 00:49:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Blind spot detection for motorcycles

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.