Send Topic Print
Ram air ? (Read 52 times)
Berzerker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ram air ?
08/04/20 at 18:00:18

I saw on rycas new you tube post, there 10th year special addition cafe racer comes with a Ram Air intake set up. I have read a post on here about ram air, I was wondering if anyone has put a ram air on and how, also just wanted to know your guys general thoughts on it. I read on here that to much air could basically blow the gas right out the carb back up into tank, cause of the gravity feed. I like the way the ram air looks don't really care about the possible performance up grade of it. Any thoughts? Thanks.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Ram air ?
Reply #1 - 08/04/20 at 20:36:16

If you can get it. Manifold pressure is manifold pressure.

The best I have been able to get is 62"of mercury, not on a motorcycle of course. It does make an enormous difference.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/05/20 at 03:49:24

If you include the float bowl vents into the ram air system, then the fuel/air balance will be consistent and you won't be blowing any fuel out of the float bowl or screwing up the jetting.

The only issue that may come up is the fuel delivery to the float bowl.  Our system is gravity fed, and there isn't much fuel pressure as there is a very short height difference between the fuel tank and the float bowl.  For water every 2.3 feet of height difference delivers 1 psi of pressure, and fuel is lighter than water so the pressure will be a bit less.  I am not near my bike right now to measure - but the height difference with a full tank is probably a bit more than a foot.....and a tank that is near the fuel reserve is likely only about half a foot.  The Savage is likely operating at somewhere around 0.5 - 1 psi - which is why the fuel just trickles out the fuel hose into the carb.

If you get too much ram air effect you may need to include the ram air into the fuel tank as well by getting a California fuel tank and cap that has a vent tube built into the tank and a cap without a vent.

In the end I really bet this is just a fashion statement and will offer very little performance gain on a Savage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/07/20 at 10:02:55

The Savage is likely operating at somewhere around 0.5 - 1 psi - which is why the fuel just trickles out the fuel hose into the carb.

Which makes understanding why an inline filter can cause fuel problems a lot easier..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 12:49:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ram air ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.