Send Topic Print
Wet issues? (Read 41 times)
JayR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wet issues?
08/03/20 at 12:25:03

No that I have converted to a bobber, I'm going to tuck the wires as best as possible under the seat, keeping the fenders.

Do I need to be concerned about anything getting wet?

Thank you,
Jay

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Wet issues?
Reply #1 - 08/04/20 at 05:29:44

If your fenders are gone.....or cut back - be ready for a really wet ride if you get in the rain!

My bike has been converted to a Cafe' bike, and although it has fenders they are very small.  When ridden in the rain it throws water all over me.  The front tire throws a rooster tail of water forward - and that water gets blown back into my face in a narrow stream right down the center of my face and body.  The front tire also throws a stream of water from the center toward the bike, and it get thrown on the front of the engine and up under the fuel tank - the water moves off center as you turn and it makes a spray that washes all over the front of the bike.  The front tire also splits the water on the pavement and makes two jets of water that split left/right.....and each water jet is directed into my boots.

The back tire throws a rooster tail that comes up my backside from my belt all the way up my back, neck and helmet.

In addition to the water, you will also get road grit and mud thrown onto you and the bike.

As described in the other thread that is related to waterproofing your bike, take all connectors apart and clean them and coat them with dialectric grease.  Seal the connectors with electrical tape where the wires enter the rubber boot of the connector.  There is a self sealing silicone tape that you may want to use on some connectors.

One on ride Springman and I got caught in a really strong rain storm.  As we rode our bikes began to run a bit weird.  The tone of the engine changed and became deeper, and the engine was way down on power.  As the rain continued and we kept riding the engine power and tone went back to normal and the bikes ran fine.  I initially though the water might be entering my foam air cleaner and going into the engine - but Springman had the stock airbox in place and should not have had that issue.  When I explained the details of the ride to the owner of Boretech who is a long term engine builder/racer/land speed record holder, it was his opinion that the water was cooling the head excessively and the hot exhaust valves were likely sticking in the temporarily "water" cooled head and valve guides.

Cafe' and Bobber bikes are a joy to ride when it is dry - but can be real hateful experience when it is wet!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
JayR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Wet issues?
Reply #2 - 08/04/20 at 19:01:01

Oh, I’m leaving the fenders on for the reasons you described.

Thanks for the info!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 08:23:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wet issues?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.