Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Savage is now not rain-worthy (Read 79 times)
civilsavage
YaBB Newbies

Standing at the
Crossroads . . .

OH and PA
My Savage is now not rain-worthy
08/03/20 at 07:22:08

I have often gotten wet riding my 2002 Savage, never had an issue before.  But the last time I rode it, got caught in a real soaker, got drencehd and pulled into a bar (closed at the time d/t COVID) so as to take some shelter as the place has a covered porch.  Waited out the storm, sun came out and everything started drying out.  But when I went to get back on the bike, it wouldn't start- no electical signal at all, no starter, no lights, just dead.  Tried it repeatedly, same thing.  Tried to see if any of the electrics were wet, nothing obviously shorting out that I could see but of course much of this is under the seat and not accessible without some disassembly.

Eventually, a couple of guys showed up, about 45 minutes or so later, by which time it was warm and sunny.  They agreed to give me a push start, but then when I turned the ignition on, I had power and the bike started right up.

Something was obviously wet, shorting out the ignition, until it dried up.  So that I don't run into this again, I'm hoping someone else has experienced this problem and can tell me where to begin looking.  Is there a particular point of vulnerability in the electrics where I should start?

2002 Savage, 2005 HD E-Glide Classic
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: My Savage is now not rain-worthy
Reply #1 - 08/03/20 at 07:46:12

Get some dielectric grease into your connectors, especially the ignition switch connector.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
civilsavage
YaBB Newbies

Standing at the
Crossroads . . .

OH and PA
Reply #2 - 08/03/20 at 09:14:27

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 08/03/20 at 07:46:12:
Get some dielectric grease into your connectors, especially the ignition switch connector.

Thanks!  Do you mean at the end where the key is?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 08/03/20 at 09:54:28

No, at the connector...where the wires come together. Split the connector, spray with contact cleaner, then apply dielectric grease. The problem will be solved for good.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/04/20 at 04:55:26

What Gary said......also do the same for both connectors up under the fuel tank.

The rubber boot on the connector under the tank originally had some electrical tape on the wire end - but it usually is gone if anyone has ever moved the rubber boot to get the connector apart.  The tape seals the wiring to the boot - but prevents the boot from sliding off the connector, and most mechanics pull it off but never replace it.  After you take the connector apart and put the dialectric grease in, replace the tape to seal the boot.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
civilsavage
YaBB Newbies

Standing at the
Crossroads . . .

OH and PA
Reply #5 - 08/05/20 at 09:42:55

Will do, thanks for the advice.  I've never looked to see, but I assume I have to pull the tank to access those other connections.

If so, well, as long as I'm to that point, maybe it's time for that killler paint job I'm thinking about . . . Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/05/20 at 14:47:15

You'll know it's wet when you put a foot down at a stop and can barely tolerate it because every spark fired is lighting years UP.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/16/24 at 05:53:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My Savage is now not rain-worthy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.