Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can the engine be run safely in a bench? (Read 68 times)
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Can the engine be run safely in a bench?
08/03/20 at 00:22:16

I'm beginning to realize I probably will not be finished with putting my bike back together before this season is over so I was thinking about keeping the engine in my mount outside the frame and run it to tune the carburetor. Assuming the engine is vertical to assure proper lubrication and that I can create an adequate air flow for cooling the cylinder: Can I run the engine for extended periods of time to actually tune the carburetor using an AF-meter?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Can the engine be run safely in a bench?
Reply #1 - 08/03/20 at 04:07:47

There is no reason to tune a carb on the bench.  The only thing you can set is the idle speed and idle mixture.......revving and engine in a static condition will tell you almost nothing about the jetting.  You need to be able to accelerate and run the engine at full throttle under a load to test the jetting.

Also - running and air cooled engine without the bike moving down the road results in poor cooling, and low engine speed results in low oil pressure.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/03/20 at 13:29:53

Assuming the engine is vertical to assure proper lubrication and that I can create an adequate air flow for cooling the cylinder: Can I run the engine for extended p

Dave loses one gold and one blue star.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #3 - 08/03/20 at 19:13:09

Why would you want to run the engine on a bench. The bench isn't going anywhere. Wink

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/03/20 at 20:32:03

Can you install the exhaust?
Probably your best tuning tool would be an O2 sensor in the exhaust..
Someone here has done that..
Getting tuning out of the way before you stick the engine in kinda makes sense, but is likely more hassle than it's worth.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #5 - 08/03/20 at 22:31:35

Exhaust is no problem. I can easily drill a hole in the wall, expelling the exhaust outside the building.

I am still trying to figure out the correct name for things so when I wrote AF-meter I meant O2 sensor. I thought AF (Air-to-fuel-mixture) was the same thing. I aim to install a Bosch LSU 4.9 in the exhaust and a slide potentiometer on the throttle control so I can log the values and check the O2 value from 0 to 100% of throttle.

Since I already have the motor mounted in my bench stand it is actually LESS hassle than putting back in the frame and doing the tuning there next year. Th only thing I can not do when tuning the engine out of the frame is put load on it but revving it to full throttle shouldn't be a problem.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 08/04/20 at 03:34:37

You really should take Dave's advice on this one.  If you can't load it you can't tune it.  I guess it would be nice to make sure it will start but that's about all you will accomplish.  It's not worth all the setup time just to see if it will start.  There's also an element of "DANGER".

Just put it in the motorcycle and do the test & tune in a normal fashion.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/04/20 at 05:11:55

You want to bench test a LS650 motor??? I thought the Finnish were a strange bunch...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 08:31:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can the engine be run safely in a bench?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.