Send Topic Print
Go Pro? (Read 53 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Go Pro?
08/02/20 at 22:42:23

When I get back on the road,, I'm thinking about sticking a camera, maybe plural, on the bike, maybe on the helmet,  I've been watching videos, and I see them as useful ,,
Anyone think about it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Go Pro?
Reply #1 - 08/03/20 at 03:52:14

I have a GoPro, and I only use it occasionally.  For someone of my age it is a bit technically tedious, it takes a modern computer (probably won't work on your Kindle), and the battery life is a bit short for using it as a dashcam that records continuously.

It is a novelty for me, and I have recorded a few rides.  The picture quality is good on the camera and when I put it on my home or office coputer - but for some reason when I load the videos on YouTube the quality goes way down.  I have not yet figured out why the YouTube advertising videos have such great quality - and the one I post are a bit crummy.

If you want a "dash cam" that records continuously and you only want to save the video where something interesting happens - you should probably get a dedicated dash camera system.  The best ones have cameras front and back.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #2 - 08/03/20 at 09:01:20

Thanks,Dave,, I had not considered the actual use,, but dash cam is really what I want..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 08/03/20 at 09:57:35

You need something that is designed to be used as a 'dash cam' that is designed to automatically turn on when the bike is running and off when  not, so you don't have to remember to do it. They can be set to a variety of settings such as a continuous loop (time depends on memory card size), freeze previous XX minutes upon impact (g-force sensors inside camera), etc.

something like this...
https://www.amazon.com/Bikers-Camera-Motorcycle-Recorder-Sports/dp/B07DX3MN9D...

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 08/03/20 at 10:58:08

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I have a go pro and don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would. One of the main reasons I don't use it is that it does not have a screen on it so when you set it up you have to log on to it on the phone to make sure it is aimed properly. The new much less expensive knock offs which are in the range of $50-$80 have a screen on them and are supposed to provide a recording quality almost as good as the go pro.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/03/20 at 12:33:47

I think I have gone through about five action cameras of various brands.  Most have an option to use as a video camera or as a dash cam with continuous looping so it doesn't fill up the SD card.  Most of mine will run about 1 1/2 hours on a full charge and you can always carry an extra battery.  I made a mounting bracket that fits into the front pocket on two of my riding jackets and from that height the camera does a good job plus your body dampens out the vibration.   

After a ride I plug a USB cable into the camera and my computer and transfer the files to a folder on the hard drive and then leave the camera plugged in long enough to recharge the battery.  When riding, I use a remote microphone clipped to the back belt loop on my jeans and at that location the wind noise is blocked and it picks up the exhaust note without a lot of valve and transmission noise.

I use it about 60% of the time.  I've captured the moment a large buzzard flew into the front of my Guzzi, many close calls with deer, a couple spills, and a whole lot of wonderful scenery on back roads.  Mostly I replay the videos in the winter when I can't get out.  I also have video editing software so I can string together the better parts of the rides.  But video editing does take a good fast computer.

The most difficult part is getting all the settings right.  I'm still playing with exposure, every camera is different and they all have different options.  They have options for everything, I usually go with 1080, 30 frames a second.  Sixty frames and the 4K resolution make for huge files.  Some off brand cameras in the $100-$150 range seem to do just as well as a GoPro.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/03/20 at 12:55:18

I agree with Dave when looking at what your explanation for use is and the PC unit you have at home.  

A dedicated dash-cam is less hand-on than a Go-Pro and typically have longer recording times.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 08/03/20 at 15:32:30

When riding, I use a remote microphone clipped to the back belt loop on my jeans and at that location the wind noise is blocked ...

Yeah,, wind noise is different from the front..

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #8 - 08/03/20 at 18:34:07

This guy mounts a go pro camera inside a tire and drives around, looks very cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=467&v=rILyBg7ZjeI&feature=emb_title

Wonder what it would look like in a m/c tire?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 08:05:51

General CategoryThe Cafe › Go Pro?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.